[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 47 KB, 400x400, labboysaysstop123.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3100158 No.3100158 [Reply] [Original]

Genetic Engineering
It's what I want to do with my life
What does /sci/ think about that?

inb4: Religious fags preach to me about playing god
I live in a southern state, every single time I try to tell someone what I want to do I get the same moral lecture
My counselor said I'm going to have to take ethics classes every few years

>> No.3100169

What you think you will do:
>make new species, cure weird disease
what you will do:
>researching how to turn a 4 legged fly into a 3 legged fly, and thats if ur lucky.

>> No.3100172

waste of time, manipulating genes is just a fantasy uneducated people have. altering them will have a ton of unintended consequences, just like the side effects of medication. it will be a worthless and abandoned field. enjoy trying to find a new goal in life.

>> No.3100177
File: 38 KB, 640x447, niggermice.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3100158
It's what I do, and I haven't looked back yet. That area of research is the future, along with BME.

Pic related.
Life has a problem. Fix it. Like a boss.

>> No.3100194

>>3100158
>My counselor said I'm going to have to take ethics classes every few years

Get the fuck out of that state, is what I think you should do.

>> No.3100199

Do it, faggot. One step closer to biological immortality and transhumanism and away from this shitmess we call a way of life. We're sapient yet we're mentally retarded, we're ruled by our emotions and we die. Fuck it, it's not right, the fact we evolved naturally is irrelevant and it is our duty to create a form of life that is sapient like us but not cursed with these fatal flaws and which can in turn do a better job of creating new forms of life. You have the right not to care about society's shit with this perspective.

>> No.3100222

>>3100199
We are meant to be immortal, are we not? The goal of genes is to persist (simply because the genes that do not persist, do not survive--and isn't survival a good thing?).

And if not us, then some superior species?

>> No.3100235

>>3100172
SIDE EFFECTS?
OH MY, CALL THE PRESSES AND STOP ALL MODERN MEDICINE INNOVATION RIGHT NOW.

>> No.3100255

>>3100235
modern medicine innovation? most medication works no better than a placebo and causes side effects worse than what they are intended to fix. genetic manipulation will be even worse. dont expect you to know that though, you just watch a little Michio Kaku and you think you know the way the universe works. hurrr scienz rox

>> No.3100263

>>3100177

Yeah, you can't put the telomerase back in though or it grows like cancer.

>> No.3100268

>>3100255
yes glorious master, tell us what to do, IM SOOOOO IGNORANT HELP ME! Fuck you and your opinion

>> No.3100271

>>3100169
>mfw you don't realize how much further we've gotten in this field
>Mfw if you wanted to insult OP you would've said they'd be developing shitty economically friendly vegetables for shitty corportations

>> No.3100275

>>3100255
Move along, nothing to see here but a typical tripfagging troll.

>> No.3100278

>>3100255
>atheismIsGay
Stopped reading there

>> No.3100280

>>3100255
>genetic manipulation will be even worse.
nope.jpg
Of course, it could be. However, to say that genetic modification is worthless because of your perceived risk of side effects is a gross overgeneralization. The possible rewards are vast and merit concerted research, and to say otherwise is the product of inadequate education on the material or willful disregard of the facts.

>> No.3100285

>>3100275
>typical tripfagging troll.
Poe's Law applies here. A lot of loud, influential, powerful people share his views.

>> No.3100300

>>3100285
>Be very active in political party
>Become scientist
>Make influential friends
>????
>Profit!

>> No.3100301

>>3100280
it is completely and utterly worthless until we figure out how to read dna at a much more fundamental level and that isnt happening any time soon. genetic engineering for medicine is absolutely worthless, it will cause more problems than it solves because people wont know what theyre really doing just like we dont know what were doing with medicine today.

>> No.3100319

>>3100301
3/10 for making me reply
We've already identified the genes that effect how our hands our created, how our brains are created, and many many other things. I imagine right now scientists are discovering gene switches in even more specific regions.

>> No.3100323

>genetic engineering
>thinks he's going to be like Dr. Frankenstein or some shit.
>just study biology and stop being a complete faggot.

>> No.3100346

>>3100319
doesnt matter. we know the molecule that effects how our moods change, how our heart problems form, etc. and what happens when we try to manipulate it? a million side effects and barely any reward, and to top it all off money wasted on a worthless field of medicine. i suspect genetic engineering will be the same, i hope im wrong but i doubt it.