[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 911 KB, 566x785, untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3062013 No.3062013 [Reply] [Original]

http://cgi.ebay.com/JEOL-JEM-1200EX-TEM-Transmission-Electron-Microscope-/110686747630?pt=LH_Default
Domain_0&hash=item19c571bbee

Should I buy it?

>> No.3062040

>>3062013

do you have $5000?
do you have a place to put it?

>> No.3062043

ELECTRON MICROSCOPE?!?!
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME OP??

BUY THAT GODDAMN SWEET BABY CHRIST ROBOTIC EYESIGHT ENHANCER!!!!!

FUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRR

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCKKKK

SAAAAAAAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

>> No.3062051

this is akin to asking if you should buy a flaming unicorn gunsword

OF COURSE YOU FUCKING SHOULD

>> No.3062060

Holy shit, the reality is exploding in this thread.

>> No.3062074

If you're just doing it from shits and giggles, SEM makes much cooler looking images than TEM

>> No.3062138

>>3062040
yes, and yes.

I don't know if I will be able to assemble it though.

>> No.3062168

Thats being sold where I live. Maybe I should check that out for ya OP.

>> No.3062199

I use a SEM all the time at work OP. There's a couple of issues that I see in your possible purchase.

The SEM is not under vacuum. This is an issue as you may have to bake it out in order for it to work properly = heating up the electron emission column in order to reduce unwanted impurities.

>> No.3062229

Second issue. You'll need a high voltage line in order to power it.

Third issue. You need a chiller unit that pumps cold water into the heat exchange circuitry inside the microscope.

Fourth issue. You'll need some way of controlling the stage for imaging, this is typically done with a joystick and computer setup = expensive.

Fifth issue. You'll need some way to coat samples to keep from charging. This requires a sputter coater of sorts, palladium is one to use. In generating samples you'll need carbon tape, silver paint, stub mounts ... etc.

>> No.3062252

Sixth issue. You'll need some place to mount it. They are heavy as fuck = 1000lbs + and they need a microscope stable setup = floor supports that not only keep it stable but also to keep from native vibrations fucking your shit up.

As a closing statement from a guy at my work:

"Electron microscopes are like ferrari's. They need constant maintenance and repair."

>> No.3062293

7th issue: Putting it together. Electron microscopes are ungodly complicated. It'll take an untrained person with the proper set of testing tools, instructions ... etc probably several days to put it together, assuming you can do all of that. It took the service tech at my work like a full day + some.

8th issue: How much life is left on your source? That's the thing that emits electrons. Basically if it's on its way out, you won't have much play time with the thing, and I doubt you are going to drop even more money = 10 grand on a new source, and not counting how much it would cost to install it, as installing it yourself is a low possibility at best.

>> No.3062295

>>3062013
I bet it was only used on sundays to take grandma to church and back.

>> No.3062306

>>3062199
How would one go about "baking" the column?

>> No.3062366

OP, that thing sounds awesome, but if you ask questions about it them you probably shouldn't buy it.
Those miscroscopes require some training to use, and a fuckton of training to assemble/repair/maintain.
If you don't already know how they work and how to operate and maintain them it may end up costing you way, way more than those five grands.

>> No.3062389

>>3062306

That shouldn't be too hard actually. Once you have everything setup, there is an option in the software to bake out. Let it run over night for 12 hours or so, and a cool down time of 3 hours. There are heaters in the microscope that will do the job for you. You should remove the voltage source from the column, it'll be a thick shinny braided wire looking thing. Remove it from the contact and keep it clean by putting a rubber glove around it. Also take the cover plate off of the column, this is will be a thin metal cover that only serves for looks, this will help the column heat up and cool down faster. Check the specs to see that the gun and the system vacuum are up to spec.

>> No.3062444
File: 55 KB, 400x351, FEI_Phenom_G2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you are in the NW, you at least have a local source for replacement emitters (FEI Co., Hillsboro, OR).

Basically what 8-issue anon said: TEMs are a bitch to operate and maintain. Only a cash-strapped uni should be placing bids on this. Another option is to operate your own lab and do freelance work for industry to pay the maintenance bills.

What you REALLY want is one of FEI's environmental (low-vacuum) desktop SEMs. They are priced from $60k (cheap for that kind of equipment) and designed for more convenient use and installation, like in forensics labs. They were demoed on CSI: NY once. Aw, yeeehhh...

>> No.3063616

>>3062444
$60k?
bullshit.

>> No.3063669

I'm betting it's the guy's last month at the lab and he's trying to sell off all their stuff before he leaves.

>> No.3063681

>Institutions that buy these machines also get repair coverage.
>If you buy this machine and have no repair coverage (which is expensive as fuck) you will end up with a white phalic object and nothing else.

>> No.3063819
File: 105 KB, 640x427, 1304839008424.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3062013

If you were real, you'd make it yourself.

In a cave. With a box of scraps.