[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 18 KB, 434x493, physics.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3053987 No.3053987 [Reply] [Original]

I don't know much about physics, /sci/, but aren't these examples of Carnot Cycles? Just finished up an online quiz, and I chose that all of them were Carnot Cycles, yet none of them are? Aren't those like... actual depictions of Carnot Cycles?

>> No.3054005

If I recall correctly, pressures and volumes are not constant in Carnot cycles, they have 2 adiabatics and 2isotherms

>> No.3054020

>>3054005
Right, but they're not constant in these pictures, are they? I know net internal energy is zero, and change in temperature and volume are equal, but these aren't constants? I just googled Carnot Cycle and checked images to make sure I wasn't crazy, and I mean... that's all that comes up. I'mma check wiki to make sure, but yeah.

>> No.3054045

>>3054020
1 is Carnot, 4 isnt, the others arnt completely isothermal and isobaric (you can see by the curves)

>> No.3054051

>>3054020

The equation for isotherm process is (ideal gas)

<div class="math">PV= constant</div>

For adiabatic

<div class="math">PV^{\gamma} = constant</div>

gamma is the Poisson coefficient

The product is constant, so none of them can be constant

The cycle 2 could be a Carnot one but I dont know is the lower line is totally horizontal

>> No.3054058 [DELETED] 
File: 240 KB, 1363x2000, cutey_Emma_eyeprime3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3054020
in all of those pictures where there is one line where P is constant. in the carnot process, the most effective process there is, there is no line with constant P.

In the carnot process, what is constant is always energy related:
One time Q is constant (adiabatic process), so no heat flow dQ. and therefore also dS=dQ/T=0.
And the other time T is constant, so dT=0, which means dU=0, since for ideal gas U=U(T), or more precisely
U(T)=c·T=b·pV, where c and b are some constants.

So if you see a process where V or P is constant, then it's not good for the energy.

>> No.3054069
File: 390 KB, 800x1198, cutey_Emma_Schirm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3054020
in all of those pictures there is one line where P=constant. But in the carnot process (the most effective process there is) there is no line with constant P.

In the carnot process, what is constant is always energy related:
One time Q is constant (adiabatic process), so no heat flow dQ. and therefore also dS=dQ/T=0.
And the other time T is constant, so dT=0, which means dU=0, since for ideal gas U=U(T), or more precisely
U(T)=c·T=b·pV, where c and b are some constants.

So if you see a process where V or P is constant, then it's not good for the energy.

>> No.3054081
File: 272 KB, 817x1222, cutey_Emma_MySunshineSeeWhatIDidThere.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>One time Q is constant
I should at that this is an informal statement meaning dQ=0, since there is no "heat-function Q".
The enthalpy H is what comes closest to a heat function.

>> No.3054090

<span class="math">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DUNPs6meuY&t=5m20s
[/spoiler]