[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 61 KB, 468x365, 1300562997625.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3035681 No.3035681 [Reply] [Original]

I have a hypothesis. More of an idea, really.

4chan actually teaches people English. If you're the kind of person who is attracted to this site and stays here for any length of time, you'll realize that people quickly and mercilessly point out errors in grammar and spelling because we realize it makes you look like an idiot if you don't pay attention to that simple stuff.

Does anyone else feel this way? Like we're actually one of the best online communities as far as English quality is concerned?

>> No.3035702

4chan posters are better than average when they try, but there are some super srs adult forums where people write more formally.

>> No.3035721

The only time people point out errors is when they are insulting the poster.

>> No.3035722
File: 5 KB, 156x227, 1269698940422.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3035681
>we realize it makes you look like an idiot if you don't pay attention to that simple stuff

>> No.3035740

Prolonged use of any written medium will have that effect. For instance, increased typing speed causes shortcuts like "u", "r", and "ur" to become less useful. Dissent from peers probably does increase the speed at which you learn, though.

>> No.3035744

>>3035721
Case in point,
>>3035722

>> No.3035757

Cool pen thing though, OP. I want one that works digitally.

>> No.3035758

Just another stepping stone towards a single global language.

>> No.3035787

>>3035758
Uh, what? Not that English isn't already the most widely-used trade language, but I don't think that sort of scenario is all-too likely. What makes you think that?

>> No.3035823

Is there a spanish 4hcan? If there's a spanish 4chan I would totally use that to help me learn spanish.

>> No.3035848

>>3035681
Allow me to play double advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.
Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts, instead of making a half-harded effort. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like its a peach of cake.

>> No.3035865

Look at older forums and messageboards (late 90s-early 00s). They tend to be more interesting, eloquent, and entertaining than 4chan posts. I attribute this to the relative newness of the internet; forum posters were highly educated and tech-savvy.

>> No.3035873

>>3035848
You really tried to fit as many of those in there as possible didn't you?

>> No.3035876

4chan is actually a great learning tool and, although it seems hard to believe, one of the most intellectual sites on the webz, in many topics.

>> No.3035883

>>3035865
Selection bias

>> No.3035891

This is 4chan. The general rules of etiquette and politeness within an argument/debate do not apply, so people will go for every single thing they can to make your side of the argument look stupid. And if you're stupid enough that you can't succeed at basic grammar or spelling, or you take lazy shortcuts, then your whole argument can be brought tumbling down due to the bizarre way logic works around here.

I like it. It at least means that posts are readable and it's not a chore to read stuff.

>> No.3035898

>>3035865

The newness of Internet, yes, but also, I'd say, the anonymity factor is way lesser in those forums, even if using avatar.

So people actually strived themselves to achieve more intelligent posts, so they could keep some reputation, and improve further socializing.

>> No.3035915

a little bit off topic but does anyone know of any available website or software for word by word translation?

I actually find this method a lot easier when it comes to learning another language, since Im not a complete retard who´s not able to figure out that "hace mucho frio" (it makes very cold) its the spanish equivalent of the english "it´s really cold".

>> No.3035923

>>3035823

Yes, chans are great for learning languages.

It'd be great to have a 4chan forum in foreign languages and culture, apart from /lit/ or /int/.

At least, to have a list of international chans. bump for list.

>> No.3035948

>>3035898
But on the other hand, 4chan does enable its posters to be more up-front with other posters, as there's nothing to lose by being blunt. Unless you're a tripfag, that is.