[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.01 MB, 707x531, badass2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3033732 No.3033732 [Reply] [Original]

It's 2011. We (the US) have exactly four undersea habitats; Aquarius, Baylab, Marinelab and Jules Undersea Lodge. Of those four, only Aquarius is being used for research; Baylab and Marinelab are small two person capsules that aren't equipped to do any significant science anyway.

Aquarius capable of withstanding depths of several hundred feet, but it's currently situated in just 60 feet of water, as the occupants are studying how to manipulate coral reef ecosystems to restore their health in spite of rising ocean Ph.

Aquarius is robust, but still based on the same basic design principles of the 1970s habitats. It is ambient pressure, pumps air down from the surface using gas generators, and must constantly dehumidify and condition inside air to keep conditions tolerable. Aquanauts must decompress for 16 hours after each mission before surfacing.

There has never been a 1 atmoshphere (aka, not ambient pressure) habitat. Ever. And no habitat has ever been placed deeper than 384 feet. We have a space station ten times larger than our only real undersea research lab, and it does vastly less actual science. Those are some bizarre priorities.

>> No.3033748

>Those are some bizarre priorities.

Hmm, maybe in that specific instance. Space, however, does have all those valuable asteroids to mine, and the future of humanity is in space.

However, it's not a zero sum game. We can do both.. The ocean is fascinating and more deep sea labs would be pretty impressive.

>> No.3033752
File: 14 KB, 480x640, ads.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A 1atm habitat would solve every health and safety issue that plagued the ambient pressure habitats of the 1970s. As they would not be open to the ocean via a moon pool it would not be a constant struggle to keep the air dry enough to avoid interior hull corrosion and ear/eye infections. The air would be at surface pressure, meaning no need to decompress, and much longer stays would be possible without the bone density issues that crop up with prolonged exposure to hyperbaric conditions.

It would, interestingly, be very similar to a space station in design; Rather than a moon pool (impossible due to the pressure differential) there would be docking rings, like on the ISS, but for submersibles. There would also be an airlock of sorts (called a 'diver lockout') for deploying rigid 1atm diving suits like the one pictured. This would permit scientists to leave the station on foot while remaining at 1atm.

>> No.3033773

>>3033748
>>3033748
Humanity will not make if they focus on where life is not.

>> No.3033778

>>3033773
What?

>> No.3033780
File: 368 KB, 1326x1600, ventbase.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3033748

>>the future of humanity is in space.

If that's true, then our present must be in the sea. It has the specific minerals we need in the near future for things like EV batteries, motors, wind turbines, solar panels, fuel cells and new generation nuclear reactors. Metals that are spread out and difficult to mine on land, but concentrated in directly exposed deposits around hydrothermal vents.

>>However, it's not a zero sum game. We can do both.

I never suggested otherwise, only that space is getting more than its fair share of attention to the detriment of deep sea research. That does seem to be changing, but we still don't have even one 1atm habitat. That's weird. It's the obvious next step for deep sea research and well within our capabilities given modern materials tech.

What would give us the most bang for our buck is a 1atm base situated near or among deep sea hydrothermal vents. We could study some, and assist in the mining of others. Having humans onsite would greatly expedite the mining process and make it possible to excavate the deposits without the environmentally destructive bucketwheel methods currently used at most deep sea mining sites around the world.

Pic related, the kind of deep sea hydrothermal vent base we ought to have by now.

>> No.3033796

>>3033780
That's Captain Kirk on the left, isn't it?

>> No.3033809

>>3033796
Yes, though I'm more concerned that a Na'vi is piloting the submersible.

>> No.3033834
File: 70 KB, 320x480, exosuit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My ideal deep sea research lab would use centrifugal seawater separation to generate oxygen, and it would be powered by a shielded radioisotope thermal generator. This would provide just enough power to constantly replenish the air, power the lights/computers/etc and recharge the docked submersibles and diving suits. Solid state RTGs are considerably safer than true reactors and in my opinion ideal for deep sea applications. It would obviate the need for a surface buoy, burning gasoline in generators for power and to pump air down to the habitat as Aquarius does.

It would be as independent from the surface as is possible. Researchers would use illuminated traps to attract and harvest vent animals like shrimp and squid, while growing vegetables onboard to supplement their diet. They could persist for many years without any surface support, requiring only a new fuel slug every 12 years or so.

Pic: Next generation 1atm diving suit, made by Nuytco. Suits of this type are the undersea equivalent of space suits and permit scientists to work outside the habitat without being exposed to the pressure, or having their tissues saturate with nitrogen.

>> No.3033838

>>3033780
Those are fair points. We aren't really close to a significant presence in space, and the ocean is literally right there waiting for us. Are there any projects in planning with a chance of actualizing in the next ten years?

>> No.3033840

>>3033796

>>That's Captain Kirk on the left, isn't it?

"The bad news is, I am extremely fucking lost. The good news is, this pod is full of marijuana."

>> No.3033859
File: 53 KB, 479x335, flexblue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3033838

Well, Challenger Station will be 1atm, but only 250 feet deep as it needs to be within the photic zone.

There are subsea nuclear reactors in the works that would have a habitable 1atm interior so safety inspectors, maintinence workers and nuclear technicians can get inside and do their thing. It has a docking ring like I described, where a specially designed submsersible will attach.

They'll actually be less susceptible to tsunamis as anywhere below 200 feet, you're immune to surface storm disturbance, and by suspending them a short distance above the seafloor they can avoid shock transferrence from the quake itself. They're also immersed in a constant supply of coolant, and deeper than terrorists have the means to dive.

>> No.3033873

What's the point of it?

>> No.3033874

>>3033840
>"The good news is, this pod is full of marijuana."

I'm okay with that. Coral reefs and weed make for wonderful experiences. By the way Mad Scientist, I know you're involved with the underwater habitat thing pretty heavily. If your organization attempting to build a habitat gets contacted by a law student (or lawyer, depending on how long it takes) with an advanced open water scuba certification and extensive interest in marine fungi... you'll know it's me.

On a serious note, I would love to be an investor in an underwater colony. If my business ventures go well, I think I might one day have the money to pull it off... people generally don't realize the pharmaceutical treasure trove that the ocean could yield.

>> No.3033916
File: 59 KB, 720x620, challengerstation2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3033873

>>What's the point of it?

Studying hydrothermal vent ecosystems. Currently we do so via subs that can only stay down for short durations. Robots can't experiment on reef species at depth, and they are similarly limited to how long their parent vessel can remain on location. We have the Aquarius in the first place specifically so that we can station scientists on site for long durations and they can do saturation diving, which permits them to spend 8 or 9 hours a day in the water instead of 1 or 2 hours ('bounce diving' wastes most of your air in the descent and then the slow ascent required to decompress.)

Hydrothermal vents are one of the most promising and interesting areas of oceanic research right now because of their relative isolation and the uniqueness of the ecosystems around each vent. When you're that deep, none of an organism's energy can come from sunlight; Vent organisms thrive from the heat and the chemicals emitted from the vents. The distance between vents is usually too great for the organisms to make a trip from one to the next, so countless generations are born, reproduce and die never straying more than a few dozen feet from the vent. As a result the organisms around each vent are evolutionarily distinct, like the finches on the various galapagos islands.

>>3033874

We're booked up for the 2012 mission in the prototype habitat, but anyone who wants to will be able to live in the permanent civilian colony. It is scheduled to be deployed in 2015, but the initial hub has only 4 apartments, all of which are spoken for. An additional 4 modules should be in place by 2020, although anyone with around $100,000 on hand will be able to buy their own module and have it added if they can't wait.

We can always use donations, especially scrap steel and sheet lexan. www.underseacolony.com

>> No.3033937

>>3033834
Is there any chance of like, one person's in the suit controlling it, and another person back at base controls the hands, like with surgery robots?

>> No.3033965

>>3033916
Yeah, we're not "there" as a business yet to afford becoming a true investor. My ultimate goal is to collect, analyze, and patent any potentially useful compound or molecular doohickey. I'll sit on a mountain of intellectual property and charge a small fortune for every bolder from said mountain that anyone wishes to buy.

Weird question you might not have considered. If you could stick a colony sufficiently far enough away from anyone's territorial waters or exclusive economic zones, you could realistically declare independence. Imagine the money that could be made as an "offshore, undersea financial center", offshore server farm, etc. The money made could easily fund all manner of research or further business ventures.

>please don't read me as a slimy, capitalistic, attorney type, I'm just considering possiblities
>Any business ventures conducted by an undersea nation/city/colony would ideally be of minimal environmental impact.

>> No.3033983

>>3033916
I understand the value of the reasearch, but what is the value of having colonists?

Aside from it being completely awesome, I mean.

>> No.3033985
File: 1.38 MB, 3000x2000, robonaut2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3033937

The problem with undersea telerobotics is that radio waves don't penetrate water for useful distances. Same goes for accoustic undersea modems. You can actually send data via laser for greater distances underwater than you can with radio waves, despite the rapid dropoff in light intensite underwater versus in air. It's why all current deep sea robot probes are tethered to a surface vessel.

There have been attempts in recent years to overcome this by dotting the sea floor with wireless signal repeaters so that probes can explore anywhere within the range of the network (Canada's Neptune project) but ultimately if you need to explore that region of the seafloor to place network nodes anyway you've defeated the purpose of sending the robot. It's still useful for providing for longterm surveillance of course as that way you might spot things over weeks or months that weren't there the day you went down.

A deep sea version of Nasa's Robonaut (pic related) but neautrally buoyant and with multi directional thrusters would definitely be worth considering. With a VR headset and a haptic exoskeleton with force feedback for the operator (either on a surface vessel or in a habitat in the shallower waters on the edge of the trench) we could essentially put a human being via telepresence on the floor of the Challenger Deep, without any of the encumbrance that a rigid diving suit entails. Besides which no rigid diving suit exists yet that could withstand those pressures.

>> No.3034003

>>3033985
Interesting, thanks for the detailed answers.

>> No.3034004

>>3033965
Such noble goals, fucking asshole.

You want to patent nature AND live in a offshore tax haven? Sickening...

>> No.3034006

i agree with op. we have only explored 95% of the world's oceans and we need to expose the rest through this menial underwater lab. no, we need to focus on curing cancer. not this shit. source below:

http://www.wikipedia.org/Hitler

>> No.3034027
File: 50 KB, 550x422, legohabitat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3033983

>>I understand the value of the reasearch, but what is the value of having colonists?

What was the value of developing Hawaii? It's not like there's a specific resource there we HAD to build local colonies to get at.

We developed Hawaii because it was so beautiful and desirable a place to visit (and live) that people were willing to spend significant amounts to relocate there, and to establish businesses to cater to tourists. As seen here: >>3033874 there's no shortage of people with the desire to live undersea, they just need someplace to go.

I envision the colony's economic rationale as being nearly identical to Hawaii's. Much of our revenue will come from tourism, as well as university researchers paying for time in the dedicated lab module. All permanent residents will pay rent comparable to a high end studio apartment, on the order of $1097 per month or therabouts. Alternatively anyone with the dosh to do so can buy their own module and would then only need to pay for electricity and air.

This is an idea whose time has come. The tech needed to live undersea (dehumidifiers, air compressors, air conditioners, etc.) has been commoditized and miniaturized to the point where even ordinary citizens can afford to build modest habitats. Pic related, Lloyd Godson's Biosub 2, the second of three habitats he has planned.

>> No.3034028

>implying the oceans will yield more resources than finding an awesome body either inside or outside of our solar system
>implying if we find such a body we could just bail and leave the chav behind
>implying i'm not somebody who would be left behind to rot

>> No.3034060

>>3034027
It's not that I don't agree and that I wouldn't be interested myself, I was just curious as to why if would be valuable for the project members to bring ordinary people down there. If it really is as feasible as you say, I can understand that, then.

>> No.3034072
File: 49 KB, 625x450, europasquid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034006

>>we have only explored 95% of the world's oceans

We've *mapped* 95% of the sea floor. Not explored it. We know what the topography looks like from orbit, but we haven't actually explored or surveyed anywhere near that much of the sea for life or valuable mineral deposits. The percentage of the seafloor we've actually explored to date is roughly 2%, following a two decade marine life census that turned up hundreds of species new to science.

We've only just begun to explore Earth's ocean, and Europa and Titan both have global oceans beneath an ice crust which are a complete mystery. The overlap between space and subsea exploration tech is more complete than most realize.

>> No.3034101
File: 93 KB, 567x389, explorers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034028

To mine resources offworld, you must first escape Earth's gravity well. The cost of doing this currently means that even if the moon was covered with gold bricks waist deep, we could not bring them back and make a profit.

To mine the sea, you need only succumb to Earth's gravity well. It takes very little energy to get there. These minerals are right on our doorstep in rich, pure surface deposits and in nodules embedded in easily excavated manganese crusts around hydrothermal vents. These vents are incidentally also of great scientific interest, providing a dual rationale for stationing habitats there.

Space is undoubtedly our future. But the sea is also our future, and closer at hand. Mastering the resources of the ocean and the technology necessary to get those resources will allow us to provide for the material and energy needs of a growing population while simultaneously preparing us to use similar technology to live self sufficiently on other worlds.

>> No.3034120

hey, hamster guy is alive! Haven't heard from this guy in a long time.

Good to hear from you.

>> No.3034155

How different are nuclear and conventional submarines from your proposed 1 atm sealabs? I'm wondering whether a decommissioned submarine retrofit would be the most economical way of producing such a lab.

However it is done, the first one must be christened "Sealab 2021".

>> No.3034171

>>3034101
i was more or less just talking shit dude

>> No.3034187
File: 99 KB, 500x449, europanlab.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034155

A decomissioned nuclear sub would work fine. It would need significant modification (docking rings, a spacious airlock for the diving suits) but that would definitely be one way to go.

Nuclear subs typically can't go very deep however; Something like 3,000 feet. Their size and sophisticated comes at the price of maximum crush depth. A spherical, purpose built habitat would be possible to station much deeper. Pic related.

If it's the best we could do, I'd say sure, but most vent sites I'm aware of are much too deep for this approach. The only vent site I know of that is in sufficiently shallow water for a repurposed nuclear sub is the Solwara 1 site and that's already spoken for.

>> No.3034191
File: 35 KB, 264x265, 1292757554600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw a deep sea thread by M.S.
/sci/ is finally back

>> No.3034215
File: 35 KB, 139x143, zubrin-trollin-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034191

Hey Inurdaes now that I found you here, have you ever by any chance read this?

http://web.archive.org/web/20061225060622/http://www.cas.sc.edu/engl/faculty/berube/nanosoc.htm

>> No.3034214 [DELETED] 

Btw, another benefit of living in the sea; Every vehicle 'flies'. It takes no energy to float in the sea, so you can have your flying cars. Or scooters, or whatever. Every vehicle has full three dimensional mobility at minimum energy cost.

>> No.3034218
File: 15 KB, 500x375, aquastar111.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Also, another benefit of living in the sea; Every vehicle 'flies'. It takes no energy to float in the sea, so you can have your flying cars. Or scooters, or whatever. Every vehicle has full three dimensional mobility at minimum energy cost.

>> No.3034238

Wait so what country would anybody born here have citizenship of?

>> No.3034235 [DELETED] 

>>3034218
>>3034215
>>3034191
/sci/'s anons are so worthless I feel obliged to get a trip too.

>> No.3034247
File: 604 KB, 126x116, 1293491440964.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034215
Just the name makes me feel like I will like this.

However tl;dr for now, I'll read it a few hours later.

>> No.3034248
File: 11 KB, 136x166, 1293824130338.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034238

Nations are an outdated idea from primevals in the pre-Assembler era. The sooner we get rid of them the better.

>> No.3034250
File: 110 KB, 1024x768, Sealab-2021-sealab-2021-153644_1024_768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you're looking for me
You better check under the sea
Cause that is where you'll find me
Underneath the
Seeeeeaa-Laaaaaab
Underneath the water
Seeeeeaa-Laaaaaab
At the bottom of the sea

>> No.3034251
File: 11 KB, 107x107, saganearthsad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034248
Two hundred nation states, about six global powers.
The potential to become one planet.

>> No.3034255

>>3034248
Yeah nice idealism, however until then what do you expect people with no nationality to do? Don't let ideas get in the way of practicality and fucking common sense.

>> No.3034266
File: 31 KB, 485x340, deepflightawesome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034238

The US. Atlantica will legally just be an offshore county of Florida. If it were a bit further from shore it would be outside of US laws, but we want the benefit of coast guard support and whatnot, so at this time there's no realistic plans for sovreignty. Most of the population will be commuting by boat to shore every day to work anyway.

Pic: Fast, maneuverable, battery electric, and 3 dimensional mobility. This is much easier to achieve in the sea than on land.

>> No.3034280
File: 25 KB, 390x260, seabros2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There are no small, one or two man fighters in space. Still science fiction, and the distances involved make the concept impractical.

Not so much in the ocean. Such craft exist, are commonly used to hunt drug smugglers, and will routinely patrol undersea colonies in the near future.

>> No.3034290
File: 312 KB, 1000x620, 1304098995091.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034255

I know, bro. I was kidding (The Kim Ross picture was a giveaway).

For the time being whatever nation created the colony and owns it should be the citizen-givers to whomever is born there. If it's privately owned or ran by multiple countries, well, there'd have to be some sort of agreement over what, and there's the issue of Coast Guard support as MS mentioned.

>> No.3034298
File: 50 KB, 441x577, 1299134140603.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034280
>Such craft exist, are commonly used to hunt drug smugglers, and will routinely patrol undersea colonies in the near future.
You mean no anarchic objectivist paradise?

>> No.3034301

>>3034266
What about sealab janitors.

Do you need sealab janitors?

>> No.3034302

>>3033780
I think the idea of making an undersea colony is great.
The only issues I have are:
How much would this thing cost?
How much would I have to invest (like stocks) to get some value out of it?
How fast could this project be fully implemented?
How beneficial could we make it to be a mirror to space development?

I think going underwater would be a great way for next gen nuclear fission reactors in a suspended environment and a great way to experiment with new space habitat designs (for structures to handle the pressures of other moons or planets).
But I do find space to be extremely important for the fact that we can get helium-3 from the moons surface for fusion reactors and would be a highly profitable source.
The tech is there, the material is not.

Just saying that we shouldnt knock the investment to get further into space too.

>> No.3034305

>>3034301

You the same guy who wanted to apply to be a janitor on Boomer's asteroid mining platform of awesomeness?

>> No.3034316
File: 56 KB, 640x480, chamberland.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034298

The plan is to mass produce the basic two person habitats that will be used in the 2012 mission (two of them docked end to end).

Each one will cost around $35k and they're trailerable, like boats, and deployable from boat ramps. Using docking adapters you can connect up to four of them to house eight occupants. Not much of a colony and it could only be safely stationed about 25 feet deep, but if you buy it, you make the rules.

Pic related, the original prototype for the NWE habitat back in 1997.

>> No.3034333

>>3034305
That was me.

I'd be a janitor if it meant I got to go into space.

SPACE.

Undersea is pretty awesome too. First one, then the other.

>> No.3034338
File: 93 KB, 800x532, Gungan_City_by_aaronburr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3034339

>>3034316
>Each one will cost around $35k and they're trailerable, like boats, and deployable from boat ramps.
The second I can get ADSL speeds, good ping, and can take my gaming computer onboard one of these things, I'm buying that.

>> No.3034352
File: 472 KB, 649x343, nemo14.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034302

>>How much would this thing cost?

About 4.5 mil for the colony hub and between $100k and $150k per additional module depending on contents.

>>How much would I have to invest (like stocks) to get some value out of it?

Once there's a sufficient population it would make an awful lot of sense to buy a module and run a business out of it. You'd have an essentially captive population of consumers who would rather buy local than make the boat trip to land.

>>How fast could this project be fully implemented?

The colony hub is scheduled to be deployed by 2015. Right now we have partial funding and a great deal of donated steel and other materials. The smaller, ambient pressure habitat for the 2012 mission is about 85% complete.

>>How beneficial could we make it to be a mirror to space development?

Look into NASA's Neemo program. Astronauts train aboard Aquarius precisely because the experience so closely mirrors space. Neemo 15 starts in october; astronauts in neutrally buoyant suits will be exploring an artficial mock asteroid sunk next to the Aquarius, in preparation for the planned NASA mission to an asteroid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Cwkeyy93w

>> No.3034371
File: 35 KB, 600x301, neemo15.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's an illustration of what Neemo15 will entail. As you can see, the ability to simulate any gravity by altering buoyancy makes an undersea base ideal for training astronauts for a mission in space, on the moon or mars. In this case they will be weightless, using thrusterpacks to simulate the experience of jetpacking around an asteroid in zero G.

>> No.3034377

>>3034352
>>3034371
SCIENCE!!

>> No.3034387

>>3033732
>>3033732
fuck space. Life is in the sea.

>> No.3034389

>>3034316
Is... is that model lab made of Legos <3

>> No.3034396
File: 130 KB, 1920x1080, 1301380351665.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034387
You are on a rock floating through space

Also, undersea habitats would greatly help in building undersea research bases in the subsurface ocean of Europa, Ganymede, or Enceladus.

>> No.3034399
File: 25 KB, 425x284, biocoil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034339

>>The second I can get ADSL speeds, good ping, and can take my gaming computer onboard one of these things, I'm buying that.

Just deploy it in a lake or something and use a 4G mifi mobile hotspot on a buoy. Even in a cove or something you should be in range of a 4G tower. These habitats still require air compressors on shore remember, so you wouldn't be that far from a signal.

There's just enough room for a bed, a comfy chair, a minifridge/microwave combo and perhaps a small RV sink. If you need to heed the call of nature, swim outside, pull down your trunks, let fly, then swim back inside. Bottom feeding fish will take care of the rest.

Pic related, Lloyd Godson living your dream in a habitat of his own design.

>> No.3034402

>>3034396
a space vast and lonely, with no visible life, with no aliens.

ima rent my ariel suit for 2016

>> No.3034403

Space: Cool laser battles
Sea: Nah bro

>> No.3034405

>>3034399

Hey friend,

how isnt it costly to get oxygen down there? How sustainable or self sufficient are these designs?

>> No.3034411
File: 61 KB, 470x300, 5119_city-under-sea-11_04700300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034389

Yup. :3c

And Godson's second habitat prototype was tested in the Legoland aquarium. He lived in there for 14 days, pedaling on an exercycle to produce all of his own electricity.

Undersea habitat tech has crossed the same threshold other 'luxury technologies' like automobiles, boats and planes did ages ago. The point where the constituent technologies drop in price to the point where a determined citizen of average income can conceivably build one themselves, largely from commodity products.

>> No.3034419
File: 424 KB, 2400x1600, 1291142571642.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034399
>If you need to heed the call of nature, swim outside, pull down your trunks, let fly, then swim back inside. Bottom feeding fish will take care of the rest.
If we have hundreds of people in one concentrated area which will likely happen eventually this is gonna be a really serious problem.

I'd rather everyone pitch in and contract some nuclear power company to build a liquid fluoride thorium reactor for everyone's power and the excess power be used to power a plasma arc waste disposal unit to dispose of our waste. It would be great for recycling our rubbish too.

>> No.3034427
File: 16 KB, 350x262, fightersubs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034403

>>Space: Cool laser battles
>>Sea: Nah bro

Sea: Supercavitating one man fighter subs imploding enemy colonies with focused accoustic beams

>> No.3034447

>>3034427
Yeah, I thought Deep Angel was cool too.

>> No.3034450
File: 137 KB, 400x286, conshelfinterior.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034419

>>If we have hundreds of people in one concentrated area which will likely happen eventually this is gonna be a really serious problem.

It won't. The toilets can vent waste a few hundred feet from the colony and it will be eaten up within minutes. It's gross, but a fact of life in the sea; No nutrition is wasted. That's how early aquanauts in the 70s disposed of waste. Sometimes it'd be gone before they could finish dropping a deuce and they'd get bit on the asshole by tiny fish trying to get more.

Pic related. These gentleman have all known what it is to have tiny fish try to eat shit directly out of their buttholes. Such is life for the undersea pioneer.

>> No.3034459

>>3034450
>These gentleman have all known what it is to have tiny fish try to eat shit directly out of their buttholes. Such is life for the undersea pioneer.
...I like the plasma arc waste disposal idea better

>> No.3034472

>>3034459

Goddamnit inurdaes.

Pooping into water is easy. ITS EASY. We dont need any of these plasma arc things unless there is a problem.

"Toasters are too easy"
?
"I need plasma arced toast"

>> No.3034485
File: 13 KB, 200x272, 1262443268493.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034472
Plasma arc'd toast would be ash of elemental carbon and some other trace elements
The colony would continue expanding, and a LFTR + PAWD isn't exactly hard to put near the colony for more efficient waste disposal.

>> No.3034497

>>3034472
why spend less money and effort on doing something when you can be wasteful and inefficient to do something fucking awesome

>> No.3034499
File: 24 KB, 400x300, dirtyconstruction.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034459

Or just have a network of marine toilets that flush waste down a pipeline to a release point a few hundred feet from the colony, where the fish can get at it. The point being that for the first time in history we'll actually be benefiting local wildlife with our presence. Not just by feeding them our waste but also by supplying a large subsea structure they can use as an artificial reef, and driving exclusively battery electric vehicles that won't pollute the water. And unlike development on land, the buildings can be prefabricated and dropped into place, resting on stiltlike supports that cause only minimal seafloor disturbance. Compare that to the environmental impact of the typical land development (pic related)

It's not like we're setting out specifically to be "green", but coincidentally the specific technologies involved in living and working subsea are necessarily very clean.

>> No.3034504

>>3034485

What if it was plasma arced just a little?

Or we divided the plasma arc's energy among 10,000 pieces of bread, and then shipped the toast to hungry people all over the country.

Think of the efficiency. We could be so efficient. It would be wonderful.

Oh my God...

What if... what if robots delivered the toast to people.

Im sorry Inurdaes, Im making fun of you. How are you?

>> No.3034523

>>3034499
I like this idea better. If I have to go swimming to shit and then get molested by tiny fish I'm not buying it however.

>>3034504
The stuff that comes out of a PAWD can be used directly for growing food or can be exported for industrial purposes. The carbon from thousands of people shitting daily would be a pretty good business I would guess.

>> No.3034534

>>3034485
>ash of elemental carbon and some other trace elements
Oh fuck you /sci/, why am I drooling suddenly?

>> No.3034545

>>3034504
>What if... what if robots delivered the toast to people.

Hey

It'd work, okay?

>> No.3034579
File: 79 KB, 470x300, 5119_city-under-sea-02_04700300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's also relatively cheap in terms of operating costs; Once the colony itself is paid for, you can power it entirely from a single large scale turbine placed in the gulf stream, as that provides a constant predictable flow. The constant flow also means you could station the centrifugal sea water separators there and harvest oxygen from the passing water without fear of an anoxic zone building up around the collector as it would in still water. The land costs nothing 12 miles out and next to nothing even in territorial waters as nobody has any real use for it just yet. Food is free as biomass is plentiful and a couple of traps can easily supply for a colonist's nutritional needs. Hydroponic fruits and veggies would round out their diet.

Rent would include mainly the cost of paying off the land lease, the colony structure itself and the ongoing maintinence of the turbine and oxygen separators. Even then it's about the same as rent for a nice downtown apartment, and a single residence module costs less than most houses, even in the current market.

It's nuts how much sense this makes. The world is just waiting for someone to have the balls to go ahead and make it happen. Once that occurs, the copycats will come out of the woodwork looking for their piece of the pie, and Earth's oceans will become the next great land of opportunity.

>> No.3034584

>>3034545

I cant stop laughing about this though. When you guys say "it would work" I think about the event that it does work.

I imagine some remote controlled rover, being operated and monitered from Nasa HQ. And everything is tense. And they have a rover and its trying to approach some guy's front door, and it hits the curb and breaks. Or something. And NASA doesnt give up hope, they just build another rover. And on a tough journey it completes its mission and proves science triumphs. The rover makes it to the front door and releases a special knocking apparatus.

The apparatus knocks on the door. And there is a suspenseful 31 seconds while we wait for Thom Menhennet to open the door. He does and he sees the rover. It has his mail. Its his tax return from 1996.

We did it..
Its amazing...
ROBOTS.

No! We cant use robots! Robots cannot deliver toast. There is no reason to do this. And no way to do it efficiently.

>> No.3034595
File: 9 KB, 180x180, troymclure.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034523

>>molested by tiny fish

I'll take one.

>> No.3034609

>>3034584
>There is no reason to do this. And no way to do it efficiently.

Man, they don't have to be rover sci fi cartoon robots, that drive around or walk or whatever.

You just have a toast machine, and then a series of pneumatic toast tubes. And a robotic arm that sorts them.

Everybody gets their toast on time and in an orderly fashion.

>>3034579
>Even then it's about the same as rent for a nice downtown apartment, and a single residence module costs less than most houses, even in the current market.

hhnnggg

Do want.

>> No.3034617

>>3034609

>You just have a toast machine, and then a series of pneumatic toast tubes. And a robotic arm that sorts them.

>Everybody gets their toast on time and in an orderly fashion.

Yeah but why?! Why would you do this? Im laughing so hard now.

Why? Why pneumatic toast machines?

>> No.3034622
File: 29 KB, 600x409, 1alabaster_nudibranch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyways, back on the topic of a deep sea 1atm research station. In case anyone's forgotten there's crazy shit living down there. The only place we can find organisms that, prior to showing them to other people, you have to preface it with "This is an actual creature not a CGI render of a pokemon."

>> No.3034632
File: 31 KB, 400x320, nudibranch2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Again, real fucking animal.

>> No.3034656
File: 215 KB, 799x448, aotd5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't know how this thing is alive, but it is.

>> No.3034664

>>3034617
Pneumatic toast machines don't need a retirement plan, or healthcare, or sick days.

Why the fuck are we giving people toast exactly?

>>3034632
Are these even particularly deep? I know some strange shit is down there, though.

>> No.3034672

i see your hampture endeavor took root during your research for it.

weren't you invited to design an underwater habitat for something?

>> No.3034673
File: 19 KB, 550x400, slide_3802_53699_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can sort of see how this one works but it's about as alien as anything I'd expect us to find in space.

>> No.3034674

>>3034656
Mm, I don't think that's it, but isn't there a jellyfish or slug or something produces a gigantic net made of mucus around its body to gather food? I can't remember what sort of animal it was.

>> No.3034676

How about power generation from the geothermal vents? Is that at all feasible? Would it disrupt the ecosystem too much?

>> No.3034681

>>3034664

Pneumatic toast machines dont need retirement plans, but they need matainence, and electricity.

Right they dont have certain costs associated with human workers. But there are other costs associated with them.

>> No.3034690
File: 89 KB, 500x375, wtfisthat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034672

>>weren't you invited to design an underwater habitat for something?

No, I was invited to spend 24 hours aboard a 4 man prototype underwater habitat in 2012. While there I will be experimenting with a bioregenerative life support system of my own design.

>>Are these even particularly deep? I know some strange shit is down there, though.

Yeah they are, although there's weird shit in the shallows too and it tends to be much bigger. Pic related.

>> No.3034695

>>3034681
>but they need matainence
Maintenance robots. And before you ask, they're maintained by another robot, who is maintained by a person. He gets a retirement plan.

>and electricity
Solar panels.

>> No.3034697

>>3034673

Ive been saving all these images by the way.

Very amazing.

>> No.3034715

>>3034656
If you ask me, it looks like a sheet of nerve cells for the most part. Very cool nonetheless.

Out of curiosity, do electrical potential differences occur strongly enough in oceans to prompt existance of sea creatures that use them as an energy source? It would a really sluggish lifeform but I don't see why useful work couldn't be produced from ambient voltages if they're high enough.

>> No.3034723

>>3034690
>wtfisthat.jpg

Mola mola, obviously.

>> No.3034736
File: 40 KB, 400x410, 1301701054157.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034695

>Maintenance robots. And before you ask, they're maintained by another robot, who is maintained by a person. He gets a retirement plan.

Its just turtles all the way down.

Anyway, I need to go friends. Its been nice talking.

>> No.3034741
File: 921 KB, 708x531, wetporch.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034676

>>How about power generation from the geothermal vents? Is that at all feasible? Would it disrupt the ecosystem too much?

Potentially yeah, but there's so much constant power potential in the gulf stream that it's nuts. For a deep sea research lab maybe, but I do think an RTG makes more sense in a lot of ways. For one, vents aren't entirely predictable and sometimes die out without warning.

>> No.3034752

>>3034690
>bioregenerative life support system

Instead of a vague name, why don't you describe for us what exactly it does, why you give it such a fancy title, why we should care...

>> No.3034775
File: 15 KB, 220x165, aquahelmet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Btw, for the hobbyist undersea explorer, Aqua Star has recently released a line of ambient pressure personal subs:

http://www.aquastarscooters.com/

They envelop your head and shoulders in air, which is constantly replenished via scuba tanks. They are battery electric and capable of safely traveling at a depth of 40 feet for 45 minutes.

Not sure what they cost, although their competitor (Hydrobob) costs $7,500 for a single seater. It's not the scooters I'm interested in however.

They also make a weighted diving helmet, shown in the pic. This is of the same type commonly rented to tourists in places like Cancun and the Maldives, for short undersea hikes. They greatly improve the diving experience as they keep your head dry and let you breathe naturally as if on the surface. They are safe down to a depth of 33 feet, which is ideal for exploring reefs, and are compatible with ordinary scuba tanks.

I'm definitely interested, as before I found out these were finally going to be sold to regular consumers (rather than tourism firms) I was considering building my own.

>> No.3034780
File: 10 KB, 429x410, 1296275852880.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034302
>>3033965
>>3033874
The greed that is killing science.

>> No.3034811

>>3034752

>>Instead of a vague name, why don't you describe for us what exactly it does

In the last thread I was similarly challenged, and showed a schematic. It seemed to satisfy all, and I was advised to get a patent before discussing it further. Sufficed to say it involves a novel way of using plants to scrub CO2 from the air without compromising interior space.

>>why you give it such a fancy title, why we should care...

Because that's the technical term for this type of life support technology. I didn't pick the name:

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/Bioregenerative+Life+Support+Systems

>> No.3034834

>>3034780
As much as I hate to say this, all science is the child of necessity and greed. I don't agree with it, I agree with the betterment of all mankind. But if you can't sell it, market it, or fuck it... Most don't care.

>> No.3034840

>>3034741
An RTG is 500W max.

>> No.3034906
File: 21 KB, 400x300, seatrek.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034840

So use multiple. A centrifugal sea water oxygen separator uses about 150 watts per typical adult male, for reference. LED lighting consumes barely any power, and the submersible/diving suit batteries could be trickle charged. You don't need much power, it just needs to be independent of the surface and reliable over long periods.

Pic: ambient pressure diving helmets of the type I was talking about. Typically available at tourism hotspots in tropical destinations, now available to average consumers. I am excite.

>> No.3034948
File: 66 KB, 537x415, aquascooter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's the 2 seater aquascooter they also sell. Works the same way, enveloping the head/shoulders of both passengers in an ambient pressure micro habitat of sorts.

I'm partial to the helmet. With a matching wetsuit and weighted boots it would be as close to walking on the moon as a person of ordinary means can achieve, and there's more to see among the reefs to boot. :3

>> No.3034968
File: 13 KB, 400x300, male-deep-sea-angler-fish.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034673
The undersea freaks me the fuck out and I'm not ashamed to say so. I can't even wade anymore.

>The growth of the alimentary canals of some males becomes stunted, preventing them from feeding. These features necessitate his quickly finding a female anglerfish to prevent death. The sensitive olfactory organs help the male to detect the pheromones that signal the proximity of a female anglerfish. When he finds a female, he bites into her skin, and releases an enzyme that digests the skin of his mouth and her body, fusing the pair down to the blood-vessel level. The male then slowly atrophies, first losing his digestive organs, then his brain, heart, and eyes, and ends as nothing more than a pair of gonads, which release sperm in response to hormones in the female's bloodstream indicating egg release. This extreme sexual dimorphism ensures that, when the female is ready to spawn, she has a mate immediately available. Multiple males can be incorporated into a single female.

I just don't even want that to exist.

>> No.3034987
File: 409 KB, 2000x1500, eel 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034968

>>I just don't even want that to exist.

It's waiting for you. It has been so patient.

>> No.3035014
File: 59 KB, 725x576, 1301331099856.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034987
>don't even let it load all the way
>still saw the eyes
>the eyes

>> No.3035046
File: 38 KB, 678x344, nope.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034987

>> No.3035070
File: 205 KB, 1024x768, eel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3035014

It's real, though. Somewhere in the deep black abyss, one of these creatures is writhing its sinewy body through the cold, dense water and thinking about you.

>> No.3035094
File: 21 KB, 400x305, sea angel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The sea is full of cute animals too, guys. :3

Imagine swimming through a cloud of these little bros, gently flapping their stubby little wings and wondering what you are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVMyg9dXkWo

>> No.3035106

>>3034987
>>3035070
I must have one.

>> No.3035135

>>3034690
>While there I will be experimenting with a bioregenerative life support system of my own design.
sweet. industry contacts within /sci/, whodathunkit

>> No.3035145
File: 16 KB, 374x349, hagfish.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3035106

Good luck reproducing the crushing pressures it's adapted to. That's one of the reasons we need a next generation 1atm research lab, so we can study these organisms while alive and in their natural habitats instead of studying the ruptured remains of the specimens we bring to the surface.

>> No.3035188
File: 45 KB, 530x351, frontier.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A vast, radiant blue frontier stretches out before us. We have the technology to conquer it, but do we have the nads?

>> No.3035227
File: 23 KB, 288x499, Why.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>1 atm
>1 atm
>1 atm
WHY
Limiting yourself to 1 atm immensely limits both your depth (due to structural issues) and eliminates your ability to send explorers outside the lab for research.

Build a lab that functions along the same lines as the drilling rig from The Abyss. It'd be IMMENSELY more useful.

>> No.3035256
File: 22 KB, 450x299, 1293438766907.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3035227
>external pressure of 1 ATM
>nope.jpg

>> No.3035274

>>3034840
>RTG for power
>In the fucking ocean
DUDE
USE A FUCKING TIDAL CURRENT TURBINE
THERE'S IMMENSE POWER TO BE HAD RIGHT FUCKING THERE
Mad, don't get me wrong; I really like you, but you're a terrible engineer.

>> No.3035281

>>3035256
What the fuck are you trying to say?
Please make some sense.

>> No.3035329 [DELETED] 
File: 66 KB, 705x530, underseajapanesewoman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3035227

>>WHY
Limiting yourself to 1 atm immensely limits both your depth (due to structural issues) and eliminates your ability to send explorers outside the lab for research.

Because it eliminates the issues plaguing ambient pressure habitats in the 1970s that ultimately led us to abandon their use, save for the Aquarius.

Because humans *cannot* survive direct exposure to the outside pressure at the depths we're discussing.

And finally, because it would not in fact eliminate their ability to explore outside. They would use 1atm Newt Suits which would enter/exit through an airlock, and submersibles that would mate to the station via docking rings.

>>3035274

>>THERE'S IMMENSE POWER TO BE HAD RIGHT FUCKING THERE Mad, don't get me wrong; I really like you, but you're a terrible engineer.

Tidal currents are not literally everywhere in the sea, and not always sufficiently strong for this purpose. A tidal turbine has already occurred to me and is in fact planned as the sole power source for the permanent civilian colony. However, in the deep sea, especially in trenches, it is not a realistic option.

Prior to judging my knowledge of subsea technology, you may want to read Ian Koblick's "Living and Working in the Sea".

>> No.3035336
File: 366 KB, 900x584, deepworkers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3035227

>>WHY
>>Limiting yourself to 1 atm immensely limits both your depth (due to structural issues) and eliminates your ability to send explorers outside the lab for research.

Because it eliminates the issues plaguing ambient pressure habitats in the 1970s that ultimately led us to abandon their use, save for the Aquarius.

Because humans *cannot* survive direct exposure to the outside pressure at the depths we're discussing. Pic related, deep worker subs, enable divers to work at 2,000 feet where exposure to ambient pressure would kill them.

And finally, because it would not in fact eliminate their ability to explore outside. They would use 1atm Newt Suits which would enter/exit through an airlock, and submersibles that would mate to the station via docking rings.

>>3035274

>>THERE'S IMMENSE POWER TO BE HAD RIGHT FUCKING THERE Mad, don't get me wrong; I really like you, but you're a terrible engineer.

Tidal currents are not literally everywhere in the sea, and not always sufficiently strong for this purpose. A tidal turbine has already occurred to me and is in fact planned as the sole power source for the permanent civilian colony. However, in the deep sea, especially in trenches, it is not a realistic option.

Prior to judging my knowledge of subsea technology, you may want to read Ian Koblick's "Living and Working in the Sea".

>> No.3035344

Mad Scientist, I keep losing the link about your hampture project.
Have you done anything with it in the past few months?

>> No.3035349

This thread has made me interested in the ocean once more.

However, a serious question--How do we know that somewhere down in the abyss, there aren't things that are big and indiscriminate about what they eat?
I'd hate to be the first man on the sea floor only to have my entire mission eaten by some kind of gigantic cthulhu-whale

>> No.3035353

>>3035349
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop

>> No.3035364

>>3035344

>>Mad Scientist, I keep losing the link about your hampture project.

http://hampture.blogspot.com/

>>Have you done anything with it in the past few months?

The Mk II. habitat was deployed in a lake at 4 feet deep for 5 hours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05pkg0DuPNQ

The Mk III habitat is being mailed to me a few pieces at a time as I moved cross country mid-project. Have patience, it will come together soon enough.

>> No.3035372

>>3035349

>>However, a serious question--How do we know that somewhere down in the abyss, there aren't things that are big and indiscriminate about what they eat?

Because there isn't enough to eat in the deep ocean. The few niches for large predators have been filled and they are slow, sluggish creatures that feed on smaller creatures, which themselves feed on "marine snow"; scraps of organic matter that constantly rain down from above.

In the shallow "photic zone", sunlight is plentiful and so is life that thrives on it (plankton, algae, etc) meaning lots of food that can sustain large, active animals like whales.

>> No.3035389

Colonizing the sea makes as much sense as colonizing Antarctica. In fact Antarctica is much easier to do.

>> No.3035393
File: 145 KB, 1080x1080, 1295476106769.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3035372
Noone expected life at the hydrothermal vents, and then..

>> No.3035398

>>3035372

What the fuck do Giant Squid eat then?

>> No.3035404

>>3035353
I am aware of the Bloop, and would like to note that all other mystery sounds like it from the ocean sound freaky and animal-like.
I just want some kind bro to cite some article that outlines some principle that says shit cannot be giant and eat you.

>> No.3035410

>>3035404
>>3035353

There's countless shit in the world that seems completely weird and mysterious but usually end up having a rather mundane explanation.

>> No.3035417

>>3035372
I have this 'sinking feeling' that some mission will be down there and realize they just parked their sealab on the back of a giant sleeping sea deity.

You know it'll happen.

>> No.3035418

>>3035364

Mad Scientist. Are you that Lego Robot guy?

>> No.3035427

>>3035398
Mostly (smaller) squid. It's thought that they wait like patient anglers with their long tentacles extended from their bodies, waiting for anything that might pass by.

>> No.3035428

>>3035364

Woah. This thread made me look up that Hampture guy's page. And then I see the man himself posting in this thread. Crazy.

>> No.3035430
File: 31 KB, 883x403, 1280702066945.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3035404
Said article would be presumptuous and worthless.
With your reasoning noone would attempt anything by fear of the unknown.

>> No.3035437
File: 46 KB, 512x381, weird-deep-sea-fish1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Explain this, /sci/.

>> No.3035440
File: 199 KB, 450x1572, 1286090906396.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3035418
He is.

>> No.3035442
File: 6 KB, 150x150, Hermes_Conrad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3035437
It's a fish, mon.

>> No.3035448

>>3035336
>Because it eliminates the issues plaguing ambient pressure habitats in the 1970s that ultimately led us to abandon their use, save for the Aquarius.
>Implying the issues plaguing 1 atm submersibles aren't immensely more challenging and complex

>Because humans *cannot* survive direct exposure to the outside pressure at the depths we're discussing.
>2000 feet
Saturation divers have lived at ambient pressures below 2000 feet in the past. Since your plan is to build a HABITAT (implying long-term habitation), there's no reason NOT to acclimate the divers to ambient pressures unless you're going far deeper than that. And if you ARE going deeper, building a habitat is pointless in the first place, as a simple submersible can do 90% of the same tasks a habitat could without the massive complications of long-term life support.

>And finally, because it would not in fact eliminate their ability to explore outside. They would use 1atm Newt Suits which would enter/exit through an airlock, and submersibles that would mate to the station via docking rings.
Again, immensely more complicated and difficult to work with than an ambient-pressure airlock with moonpool. You DO realize that any biologicals you wish to examine will have to either be brought to 1 atm anyways or be observed through several inches of polycarbonate, right?
>Tidal currents are not literally everywhere in the sea
Hmm... I've heard of ROV gliders that run SOLELY off the thermal gradient of the ocean. Also, there have been proposals to use this thermal gradient as an alternative energy source in Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion plants. Could you perhaps use such an OTEC system for power?

>> No.3035456

>>3035437
You can't explain that.

>> No.3035461

>>3035440
I'm new to /sci/ and hoping this is at least a mostly true story.

>> No.3035464

Mad Scientist. ED says that you were expelled from art school and are a pedo. Care to respond?

http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/Bob_Averill

>> No.3035468

How can you enter an underwater habitat without getting water into it?

>> No.3035472
File: 103 KB, 288x288, 1282067257477.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3035464
15 years old, age of consent in France. Off-topic and stupid, please leave and never come back.

>> No.3035475

>>3035349
I'm sure you'll get a nice memorial and a mention in the history books

>> No.3035481

>>3035475
They'd better at least name the goddamn seamonster after me.

>> No.3035488

>>3035464
He likes little girls, they make him feel so good

I just read http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/Content?oid=84436&category=22101 and holy shit if they kicked him out because of that bullshit then he's way better off without them.

>> No.3035492

>>3035468
legit question here

>> No.3035494

>>3035472
definitely a pedophile. doesn't matter what half your age is, 15 is still a child.

>> No.3035500

>>3035488

Yeah, I read that too. I don't know. We're only getting his side of the story. He could just be blaming them for his shortcomings and claiming victimhood status for no good reason.

>> No.3035514

>>3035494

>>definitely a pedophile. doesn't matter what half your age is, 15 is still a child.

I wouldn't call him a "pedo", but I would say that its immoral. A 15 year old is typically dumb as shit. Losers who can't get girls their own age, or are afraid of a real relationship date them. Plus they're easy to manipulate.

>> No.3035535

>>3035514
you see his quotes in that article? sounds fucked up to me

pedophiles are that because they use young people who can't make decisions properly

>> No.3035547

>>3035535

>>you see his quotes in that article? sounds fucked up to me

As far as I can tell, those quotes are from his SA and other forum posts. Why the hell would he advertise that?

>> No.3035575

>>3035514
>>3035500
>>3035494
>>3035488
>>3035464

I am deeply ashamed of this chapter in my life and can offer no defense for my behavior. I was younger and prone to making hasty, stupid decisions.

I met her through a friend when she was 15, but did not see her again until she was 17 and I was 24, which is when we actually dated.

I was warned not to by friends and in retrospect they were right and I was wrong. If I had it to do again I would not have involved myself with her. If this makes me a worthless person in anyone's eyes there's nothing I can say to reverse the impression or make it any less deserved. Going forward I've tried to work on interesting projects and contribute worthwhile content to this board, so as to do something of merit and perhaps partially atone. However, as this has come to light again I'm afraid I don't think I'll be making any more threads here.

As for the expulsion the other party was a follower of the new age psychic guru Sylvia Browne, who some of you may know as the longtime nemesis of James Randi. I was expelled because under school policy, although she had invited the discussion, I had offended her, and her beliefs were protected under said policy while a *lack* of beliefs wasn't specifically protected under the wording of the policy.

There was, for a time, an account of the event written by her online which (although difficult to read due to frequent misspellings and atrocious grammar) corroborates what I've said. I'm not sure where it is now, although you're free to look for it.

Anyways, goodbye for a while. I'll be in hiding until I feel up to posting again.

>> No.3035590

>>3035575

What a scoop!

>> No.3035597

>>3035575
Don't leave, man. Nobody who matters is accusing you of anything. It's just a few trolls.

Anyway, almost every guy makes the mistake of getting involved with a girl who's a bit too young at one point or another. When I was 17 I dated a 13 year old.
As it turns out, that causes some people to not care, and everyone else to want to literally kill you. That was a fun few years.

>> No.3035598 [DELETED] 

>>3035547
doing a little digging, turns out he's pretty crazy...

definitely not stable

>> No.3035609

This is a load of bull
15 years old are able to make decisions
Just because that's the law in pilgrimland it doesn't mean its wrong
Also you should be able to drink legally when you're 18

>> No.3035627

I live in a puritan state and am as lolicon as they get.

Honestly, nobody seems to care...

>> No.3035636
File: 292 KB, 500x500, 19.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3035575
You're the victim here, don't pay attention to the trolls and please don't leave.

>> No.3035654

>>3035598

Yeah, I can easily imagine that confrontation being much more heated and him being far from the innocent that he portrays himself as.

Then again Hampture is an aswesome idea. So all is forgiven! :D

>> No.3035687
File: 18 KB, 244x320, 1271117299309.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3035575
Your contributions have been appreciated. You should continue posting anonymously. /sci/ could be so much better.

>> No.3035689

so mad scientists = bob averil = liberal arts games major?

this explains why /sci/ has so much useless popsci garbage. /sci/ is shit.

>> No.3035696

>>3035689
your mom's shit

>> No.3035707

Yo mad scientist how's that remote controlled forest rover project coming along?
Anyone got the link to that blog?

>> No.3035711

>>3035636

Nobody defend me on this. I am not a victim, I made a stupid decision and now I am living with it. At 17 she was simply too young for me and it was wrong to believe the difference didn't matter, or that it wasn't immoral.

While I have never been attracted to children (Not sure where that accusation came from?) I have at times found highschool girls attractive and I now realize this was an unacceptable deviant attraction. I voluntarily attended a few months of therapy from 2009-2010 but was told that as the relationship was legal under state law I didn't technically have any recognized condition for them to treat. I kept going anyway and came away from it at least marginally less likely to make another rash, retarded decision any time in the future. I do feel like it was beneficial and recommend it to anyone who has access to free or low priced services along these lines whether or not you feel you need them. Simply venting your thoughts to someone every week is tremendously cathartic.

I will say that some of the quotes attributed to me since then were in fact copied line for line from a full page "pokey the penguin" comic on the topic of religion that I did not author, and others were fabricated by people claiming to know me, apparently for humor purposes.

Anyways, I apologize to everyone who had to deal with me during that time and I will continue struggling to improve, and contributing worthwhile material to this board, if you'll have me. :I

>> No.3035717

>>3035689
>/sci/ is shit.
Agreed.
Peace out, Ima check up on /n/.

>> No.3035746

>>3035494
ye Middle Ages woud speke with thee

[tomate Göttingen]

For Mad Sci: you wuz fuckin robbed, getting tossed out of AI for questioning a student's belief in (pffft!) Leprechauns! To console yourself, just remember that as a Mad Scientist you will MAKE THEM ALL PAY!!! MUA HAHAHAHA!!!!

>> No.3035748

>>3035711
umm it's only you, josef, and some few others that actually keep this board worthwhile, and you're actually doing something cool with your efforts for a meaningful purpose. so lighten up and keep doing science, faggot

>> No.3035749

>>3035717
>>3035711
99 and 420 both have separate math and sci boards. Just sayin.

>> No.3035766

>>3035711

>>Anyways, I apologize to everyone who had to deal with me during that time and I will continue struggling to improve, and contributing worthwhile material to this board, if you'll have me. :I

I was mostly just nosy. I don't really care.

>> No.3035819

>>3035575
Mad Sci, please don't go! I salute your spirit of amateur science!

(Also, if you are still in P-land, drop by the PSU engineering campus basement Tuesday nights and help fellow Mad Scientists put together guided miss... um... "actively stabilized amateur rockets". Perhaps you could work on miniature hamster acceleration couches. We have a payload bay and pull about 20 Gs peak.)

>> No.3035871

>>3035575
Everyone makes mistakes, what's done is done. Your threads are some of the best on this board, please don't stop posting because of a few douchebags.

>> No.3035877

>>3035819

I wouldn't mind having a look at what you've done so far. What specific time should I show up, where on campus is engineering, and will I need a keycard to get in?

>> No.3035886

>>3035877
psas.pdx.edu has the schedule and directions. no key needed before 8pm I think. See you next week maybe!

>> No.3035903

>>3035886

Next week. I'll be there. Should I start working on a payload? They make teleoperated stereo camera turrets that can deliver 3d video to a VR headset (I have a decent one) and with a little custom software it could be made to mirror head motions. It would allow you to look around freely in 3D from the stereo cameras onboard as if riding it. They're mainly for RC planes but nothing prevents repurposing one for mounting on a rocket.

>> No.3035943

>>3035903
We already have a camera on board, with both ATV downlink and onboard DVR, though stereo might be a nice addition. There are lots of areas that need work, mostly avionics, sensors, downlink, etc. Although we have a payload area, we have never actually flown a third-party payload (besides a space-suited sock-monkey mascot), so that might be an interesting idea. Best to just talk it out next week when you take the Pledge of Secrec... uh... sign up on the mailing lists.

>> No.3035974
File: 94 KB, 1000x1038, 1294253118755.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

MAD SCIENTIST, PLEASE HAVE MY BABIES

A couple of threads ago, someone mentioned that you were related to the Plastic Brick Automaton comics. Are you their author or something whereabouts?

>> No.3035976

>>3035974

Yes. Look above. >>3035440