[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 29 KB, 211x205, milton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3029853 No.3029853 [Reply] [Original]

ITT describe ideally how you would raise your children so they have the best chances to become nobel laureates, macarthur geniuses, fields medal winners etc. i'll start.

i'm extremely wealthy so I purchase a private island. i bring a dozen women for breeding purposes who've been selected for their superior genetics. in the socratic tradition the children will be raised collectively. the children will be numbered, divided into teams and be made to compete against each other athletically and mentally in various 'games'. the teams will occasionally be changed. to develop an iron work ethic their 18 hour day will be divided between reading, studying, and physical labor on the island. as they get older more time will be spent on academics and have access to a massive library. they will have no distractions and restricted access to the internet. they get no contact with the outside world until they are 18. those who have superior talent will be allowed to pursue graduate studies. i'll never love them or express affection until they win one of the aforementioned awards.

your turn.

>> No.3029885
File: 381 KB, 768x512, 1293233738344.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Kids are born scientists. They’re born probing the natural world that surrounds them. They’ll lift up a rock. They’ll pick up a bug. They’ll pull petals off a flower. They’ll ask you why the grass is green and the sky is blue, and they’ll experiment with breakable things in your house. I think the best thing a parent can do, when raising a child, is simply get out of their way.

The result?

It might mean they break a dish someday, because they’re experimenting with how dishes roll down the corridor. But they’ll learn something about how fragile something as brittle as glass can be. There’s a lesson there. Yeah, you’ll break a dish. So you buy as new dish. And you say, “Well, that can be costly.” But, as Derek Bok, who was president of Harvard, once said, “If you think education is costly, look at the cost of ignorance.”

I think that exploration can become a fundamental part of what a growing child requires to become a thinking member of society.

>> No.3029891
File: 27 KB, 396x396, 40..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why not come up with a realistic rearing and educational environment, that we actually could discuss and learn something from?

>> No.3029898

This is a stupid thread.

>> No.3029901

>>3029891
>ideally
otherwise, why don't you bring it up?

>> No.3029905

>>3029885

your child is going to be a little asshole is you let him do whatever he wants all the time

>> No.3029908

>>3029885
I though you were going to say something retarded as usual but I was pleasantly suprised.

“If you think education is costly, look at the cost of ignorance.”
Derek Bok

>> No.3029917
File: 91 KB, 505x505, saganplaque.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3029905
There's a difference between 'JOHNNY PUT DOWN THAT PLATE OR I SMACK YOU' and 'JOHNNY HOW DARE YOU PISS ON THAT LADY'S HAIR'

I do not want any children, but mark my words, if I did he or she would not be an asshole and AT LEAST be scientifically literate.

>> No.3029920

>>3029885
Hi. Good post/quote.

People need free time, forcing your children to work around the clock isn't actually productive.

Staying realistic, if I have kids I would try to introduce things and concepts earlier. Not necessarily teaching them about something thoroughly, but just showing them that this amazing thing is out there.

>> No.3029926
File: 32 KB, 500x377, 1294531824138.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>/sci/ on parenting.

You guys wouldn't know the real world if it bit you on the ass

>> No.3029930

>>3029853

Your kids will fail hard core. They will be so socially inept all of their skills will be worthless. They'll probably walk into a job interview an call the employer an idiot, which (although, it will likely be true, comparatively) will obviously anger the employer and your child will probably attempt to karate chop him into submission, given his/her absolute lack of skills in dealing with a human raised in a society.

Plus, I have a hard time believing you are anywhere close to super rich.

>> No.3029944

>>3029920
I agree.

I think one of the mistakes of todays educational system is focusing to much on the learn/know by repetition. Instead we should focus more on solving problems creatively.

>> No.3029980

The #1 way to get successful in science is to choose a certain path EARLY and stick to it. If you know you want to do chemistry at the age of 6 and tailor your whole education upon that decision, there's little that can stop you.

Unfortunately, most people choose science rather late and also hop around between different sub-genres of their respective field.

It may sound stupid, but if you "waste" time on learning something other than that thing you chose will set you back a bit. Sure, you learn interesting stuff and broaden your horizon, but it will hinder you most likely form excelling at that very specific chosen area of expertise.

>> No.3029983

>>3029926
It's dangerous cause it will get you!!

Like there is maybe a woman eating dirt in Africa who has to live off the dirt and eat all the dirt in the village. She is living the real life. She is like a bank teller or a claims sorter probably.

It's like I live a real life that escapes all the mundane idiots of this gay world who don;t know shit about anything and am really cool and just matter a lot. It makes me mad you nubs!!!!!

>> No.3030020

>>3029983
whaat. trollfail or full retard?