[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.02 MB, 1482x1334, SpiralOfLifeBig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3011397 No.3011397 [Reply] [Original]

How are your grades looking this semester, /sci/?

>> No.3011408

Why doesn't that chart have anything I do feel, like misanthropy, disgust, doubt?

>> No.3011416

>>3011408
>misanthropy
>disgust
>doubt
That's in the Spiral of Death.

>> No.3011420

>>3011416
Do you have that one?

>> No.3011450
File: 30 KB, 449x389, TheDownwardSpiral.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3011420

>> No.3011463

>>3011450
Im disappointed.

>> No.3011484

Semester GPA: 3.8
Total GPA: 3.56

Grade in Statics: A
That's all that matters.

>> No.3011495

grade in Bio A
chem: A
overall GPA 3.8

took a course in philosophy predicted grade E

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

why did i fukcing do that!

>> No.3011504

>>3011495
>Chem: A
>Philosophy: Failed
But..

>> No.3011544

>>3011484
Statics isn't that hard, bro.

>> No.3011560

3.9 GPA this semester if i don't fuck anything up, could be 3.76 or 3.67 if i do

>> No.3011595

>4.0 Semester
>3.9 Cumulative
I wonder what it's worth.

>> No.3011633

>>3011595
http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2007/12/04/twentysomething-why-i-regret-getting-straight-as-in-college
/

>> No.3011636

Computer Science: A
Calculus Sequences and Series: A
Physics E&M: A
Superconductor Lab: A
Extraterrestrial Life: A

Expected Cumulative GPA: 4.0

Suck it Asians!

>> No.3011643

probably a low 3
3.2 - 3.3~
Didn't do much work so I am fine with it

>> No.3011646

>Calculus Sequences and Series: A

rofl, that's a separate class? that shit isn't taught in your calc II?

rofl

>> No.3011650
File: 154 KB, 330x327, 1264799514285.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3011633
>I majored in English Literature and minored in Communication Theory
>getting 37 A's is hard work

>> No.3011652

>>3011636
How the fuck can Comp Sci be one subject?

>Extraterrestrial Life

wut

>> No.3011656

>>3011633

Read it.
>english lit major.

Not shitting on him at all, but for the Mathematics and Sciences, it's a different story. You need a high GPA to get into decent Grad schools.

>> No.3011663

>>3011633
>If I could do it all over again, I would spend less time in the library and more time at parties. I would have 50 friends, not 3.

Apparently he values fake friendships over real ones.

>> No.3011661

>>3011652
I took an Introduction to Computer Science course.
The course in 3 words: Recursion and trees

>> No.3011659

86.55 for first semester of EE
exams only start mid june.

>> No.3011677

>>3011661
It looks like you've got some pretty shitty classes.

>> No.3011691

I have no idea, as usual the final exam counts 100% of my grade. This semester is relatively easy though, with imagine techniques being the only "hard" subject, so I'm guessing I'll get mostly Bs

>> No.3011696

Distributed Client Server Programming: A
Microprocessors I: A
Physics II: B
Calculus III: B
Discrete Structures: B

>> No.3011712

>>3011677
I'm guessing he goes to a crappy community college.

>> No.3011731

>>3011397

4.0 in majors this semester
3.72 in extra bullshit

4.0 for majors total
3.92 total

>> No.3011741

Sup /sci/entists, any of you have a good torrent/ebook/source for Introduction to Ultra-Wideband Radar Systems?

>> No.3011761

Honors Research II - A (graduating high honors)
Cognitive Psychology - A
Intro Physics II - B
Cerebral Cortex: Structures and Systems (grad class) - Don't know yet, expecting an A

>> No.3011764

>>3011761
>Intro Physics II - B
>Grad classes - A
Hahaha what

>> No.3011772

Eh, I've only done 4 exams since last November, and got 3xA and 1xB. But that's OK, I've spent most of the time for the diploma thesis anyway. Shit's getting tiresome..

>> No.3011786

>>3011741
Check the books section here https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1XUHoOQk7D-2kkuA5sZctjGMUrISqOmEQR0Kuxi5u-Q4

>> No.3011809

>>3011633
>Unless you're a super genius, getting 37 A's is hard work.
>I'd study for 60-80 hours a week, and if I didn't get the highest grade in class, I'd put in 100 hours the next week.
>I majored in English Literature and minored in Communication Theory.

Wow, this guy is fucking stupid. I majored in neuroscience, have about a 3.8 GPA (have to estimate because I transferred schools), am graduating high honors, and will be submitting a modified form of my thesis for publication. And despite all of that I still managed to slack off 90% of the time in college. I never studied unless an exam was coming up and even then it was never more than a week in advance for classes, usually more like 3-4 days in advance. I went to a top 20 school too, and it's not like I was alone in this regard. Plenty of other kids were pulling high GPAs despite spending most of their time getting high and partying.

>> No.3011821

>>3011809
Same for me, bro.

>> No.3011843

>>3011764
I got an A in physics the previous semester, and found the material this semester to actually be easier. Problem was, this semester was also when I put together the majority of my 90 page thesis (which is a lot more involved than just typing up a bunch of a pages) and had to do that grad class which also involved a 17 page term paper, a 45 minute presentation, and, of course, exams. The cog psych class, while hardly difficult, also had several papers throughout the semester. And then there were taxes, other lab duties, other bullshit, etc.

Basically it came down to me not having enough time to get everything done, so I had to pick something to sacrifice. I picked physics because I'm a neuroscience major, and thus the grad class, cog psych, and my research are of much more interest to grad schools than fucking physics.

>> No.3011846

>>3011809
I guess this really depends on how the grading actually is performed. I got a bunch of As that I guess didn't quite deserve - especially if the grade A (at least here) is defined as being "excellent" or "performing high above the required level".

>> No.3011865

>>3011846
At most schools an "A" means "93% or higher" in a class (or if not using the +/- system then it's usually 90% or higher).

The only classes I'm aware of where getting an "A" is significantly different than that are in business school classes where it's not uncommon for professors to curve grades DOWN such that if you get a 90% on a test but the average was 95% then you get a B.

>> No.3011894

Stellar & Galactic Astronomy- A
Microbiology- B
Ancient Persia, Greece, and Rome- A
Adv. Research Design and Data Analysis- B

Semester GPA: 3.52
Overall GPA: 3.49

Eh, I've already been accepted for a graduate studies program. Just need to finish 2 Maymester courses and 2 Summer courses and I graduate and go on to studying for my law degree in October.

>> No.3011895

>>3011809
>>3011633

40 Exams? Is college in the US different than a university? My masters in physics required about 70 exams. Or are the exams generally harder than here in Europe?

>> No.3011910
File: 55 KB, 1772x291, grades.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Took A&P 1-2 at my university this semester

Aced both like expected.

Current gpa 4.0

>> No.3011924

>>3011895
A student who takes the average load of 15 credits per semester (5 classes) and stays for the traditional four years would take 40 classes during college. Each class has multiple exams, typically something like 3-4, in addition to quizzes, term papers, and/or various other assignments.

>> No.3011930
File: 97 KB, 848x630, ohthisthreadagaineh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT:
>i find this hard
>OMG UR SO STOOPID ITS SO EASY IM DOING IT GOOD

>> No.3011932

>>3011924
Well, I of course meant classes by exams. Also technical studies here last for 5 regular years, but basically no-one is able to pull that off, considering a good 70% of students here work part time and the curricula are laid out for a full-time student.

Interesting, nonetheless.

>> No.3011947

Organic Chemistry II: A
Physics Thermo, Elec and Mag: A
Intro to C++: A
Music Fundamentals: A
Golf: A

>> No.3011953

>>3011809
But how much do you actually know, and understand how to apply the material you've learned? Since you mentioned Neuro Sci. you are likelly learning many different bullshit memory schemes that don't ultimately contribute much to your overall critical thinking or problem solving abilities. While you might be able to sell off a steroid-driven body, your overall intellectual health is probably comparable to the time you've cared to put into your study: next to nothing.

Lastly, it's not about your grades, but about what you've gotten out of your classes. If you have not done that, then you've not done anything at all. Prestigious degree or not, if you can't live up up to your title, you are nothing but a faint.

>> No.3011958

>>3011932
How long do your classes last, and what country are you in? In the US, most universities won't let you take more than 18 credit hours in a semester without applying for an overload which requires signing a form that basically reads "I understand that by doing this I am probably going to fuck up my GPA and thus promise not to blame the college for letting me make such a stupid decision".

>> No.3011977

Last semester:

General Chem I: A
Physics I (Mechanics/Fluids/Waves): A
Statistics/Probability: A
Calculus I: C

fuck my calc I professor and her bullshit grading system and proof-based exams.

>> No.3011996

>>3011958
Austria, Europe.

Regular semesters are Oct-Jan and Mar-Jun, so a good 4 months. Classes are usually 2-4 hours per week each. There are practically no rules on what or how much of an exam-load you are doing - except that you may lose certain financial support (cheaper public transport, etc.) from the government if you take too long or don't get a certain amount of credits within the first phase of your studies.

Then again, universities here are state-run, practically free and the only one to blame is you, should you not get a job or whatever. Freedom is quite a big thing here, and most attempts to make advancements towards a more rigid and school-like system at universities is bombarded by almost everyone.

>> No.3012001

>>3011977

If it's proof based, can't you just memorize the proofs?

I've never of proof based calculus exams before though.
Maybe because I'm an engineer?

>> No.3012017

Chem: B
Pre-Calc: B
Business: B

this boosted my GPA, since I found meaning to college through pre-calc. and adderall.

I pose a conundrum to you guys though: in my pre-calc class, halfway through the semester (there were 5 tests (6 including final), and this happened after the third) I was getting a D in pre-calc. It wasn't because I was being a lazy student, it was because I couldn't focus or retain the information that was presented. (this is an online course btw).

4th test comes around (and adderall) and I ace it, 88/100 (she used a 87-100 grading scale) 5th test, same thing, but 100%. I'm probably going to 100% the final too since this shit is easy now.

so the question is: though a B is "technically" the grade I "earned", I feel it is not the grade I deserve, since it's not really my fault my psychiatrist failed to diagnose a learning disability and hesitated to prescribe me adderall, and if I prove I know everything in the class by ace-ing the cumulative final, wouldn't I deserve an A?

i mean fuck, this would be my first A in a college course (could never find motivation to strive for anything higher than a B, until adderall) and it would be pretty cool seeing as my major is now math/chem

>> No.3012020

>>3012001
My proof based calculus class had nothing to do with memorizing the proofs.

Not the post in reference. However, my Calculus proof based tests had certain STEPS from the proof with a number or variable missing. Really was a way to make sure we understood it. Mind you she still taught us the fucking short cuts prior to the test and expected us just to know those for use in class but wanted us to know the whole proof for the test. Fuck indian women and their high expectations at state backed universities.

>> No.3012023

>>3011977
proofs are easy. if you have that much trouble and your teacher lets you use a ti-83 or 84, you can program the proofs into your calculator

>> No.3012025

>>3012017
Pre calculus is cake.

Wait for discrete and actual calculus.

>> No.3012027

>>3012001
I don't get it. Aren't you supposed to do the proofs yourself, with no prior examples being given?

>> No.3012033

>>3012020
>>3012020
you're bitching because you failed to understand how to apply a proof? and there are no shortcuts in math, only steps that you don't show.

>> No.3012036

>>3012027
That's essentially what a proof is. Proving the equation using alterior methods than the equation itself.

I hate them.

>> No.3012037

>>3011953
God you are so jelly right now.

And no, I've gotten plenty out of my education. I remember most of what I learn in the courses I care about, and judging from my success doing actual research I'd say my critical thinking skills are pretty well developed. As it turns out, not all of us need to study for hundreds of hours to learn something. In fact, if you DO have to spend such a vast amount of time studying then it probably means you're not cut out for your particular field of science.

>> No.3012052

>>3012033
I didn't fail to understand them. She would give us the initial variable(s) or numbers. and based off of that and our knowledge of the proof we would be given steps with parts missing.

In retrospect this concept is really practical when applied towards Computer Science (my degree prior to criminal justice). Now I'm just going the easy route and going into public relations branch of Criminal Justice. Police officer.

>> No.3012058

>>3012025
>>3012025
well yeah i figured, and i'm actually looking forward to these since i got my prescription, i realized how easy everything was and how logical it is, since I could actually sit down and focus for longer than 15 seconds, but do i prove a valid point in my argument for an A?

I prove I know everything the class involved, but couldn't understand it at the time earlier in the semester because of a learning disability which wasn't fixed until halfway through the semester.

I mean, my professor said no because it isn't fair to other students, but in my case it isn't fair to me because I never knew I had a disability, I just assumed I wasn't naturally smart. I spent hours in our math tutoring lab, like 5+ hours a day for 2 weeks per chapter for the first 3 tests but I couldn't retain anything. Now I find out I have a disability and it's fixed, can I appeal this to the head of my school's math board and do an oral exam and use the final as the written exam?

>> No.3012066

>>3012020
Dude, you're actually given the proofs before there are questions asking them, so you know what to apply. Wish I was that lucky.

>>3012036
Mine are extremely inelegant. Not so fond of them myself.

>> No.3012069

>>3012017
Since you're a math major you'll be taking much higher level courses than precalc. If you get A's in calculus I-III, linear algebra, etc. then no one is going to a flying fuck about what you got in precalculus.

>> No.3012084

>>3012025
I personally found calculus I and II to be easier than precalc.

Granted I did get an A in precalc while I got a B+ in calc I and an A- in calc II, but that was because I got complacent and lazy while taking calculus, whereas in precalc I was studying my ass off.

>> No.3012101

>>3012058
I think I have that disability myself. I can never focus and study for longer than half an hour. I should get treated before my ad hoc study methods make me fuck up.

>> No.3012120

Terrible grades. But then again I have a job lined up and I already asked them if they would pull my offer if I got bad grades this semester. They said 'No, as long as you graduate you are all good.' Going to lock down some D's.

>> No.3012122
File: 8 KB, 211x193, 1304114508219.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3012001

My professor basically taught the class if everyone taking it was a math major. Most of my class were engineers or pre-meds. Majority of the tests were proofs that she mercilessly graded. The grading system was 2 midterms (30% each) and 1 final (40%). The retarded shit was that she would BARELY go over any proofs in class but then throw 4 of them on the exams.

She emailed us the final grades and class distribution after the semester ended:

A's - 5
B's - 4
C's - 43
D's - 12
F's - 13

By the way, in Calc II this semester I currently have a 94% in the class going into the final and people I know retaking the class are going better also.

>> No.3012123

>>3012058
>>3012058
cont'd

like shit if that guy in calc is complaining about using proofs, i fucking love proofs. you have to treat your brain like a calculator and use the proof as an algorithm. like doing summation of sequences, it was very simple for arithmetic and geometric sequences because the common difference and common ratio were just subtraction proofs and division proofs

r=a_n/a_n-1 is b=c/a (or a=c/b)
d=a_n-a_n-1 is a-b=c

i mean they're simple, but half of the class couldn't realize that.

same thing for summations. my teacher actually let me use a program i made in my calculator for summation of binomial theorems as long as i stated the proof because i proved to her i knew how to apply it by making the program on my ti-84

if you don't understand the proof, try making a program for it. its how I was able to understand some of them.

>> No.3012152

Why is this shit being bumped.

>>3012037
Different fields have different skill requirements, and the amount of tiime required to master them are generally indicative of the difficulty at which they run. It is not just silly to compare the playing of an instrument, to learning the "central dogma of molecular biology", it is plain wrong, since they simply don't compare. Similarly, while you may be able to understand simple qualitative concepts in your field quickly, this does not mean that you will be able to do it in other places as well, particularly when precise modes of problem solving are required. Overall, your seeming disregard for your field, your study, and your priority over "partying" over learning, are probably more indicative of the kind of unrelaible, procastinating, glib you are. Your GPA, your degree, and probably anything in relation to your academics, amount to nothing when you can't demonstrate to know at least 60% of the material you've learned.

Your records is the equivalent of an oversized breast implant. There's nothing impressive about you or your learning "style", and from what you exude, you can't probably demonstrate even a quarter of it.

>> No.3012164

>>3012069
well shit thats basically what i told my psychiatrist. i mean i was diagnosed with bipolar N.O.S. earlier this year, but i told him I could read something, but i couldn't retain the information, its like i wasn't learning, i was just going through the motions, ya know?
>>3012101
its my GPA man. Its already shot because my freshman year i fucked up big time because i had no idea what i wanted to do, and because of my physical disability (I have a movement disorder which limits my ability to walk) i really couldn't make it to class on some days, meaning i didn't do my best. plus the learning disability. I think I got 3 C's, and an incomplete (I missed the final for a philosophy exam because i got the dates fucked up, thought T = thursday. now I know better) and 2nd semester I REALLY fucked up. my symptoms got so bad (for bipolar and movement disorder, I actually ended up in the hospital from ODing because i thought my klonopin wasn't affecting me, fucking mania, 60 1mg tablets in less than an hour, surprised im not dead) I had to drop 2 classes, got a C in a lab, and failed 2 other classes.

>> No.3012189

>>3012164
>>3012164
cont'd

plus its a matter of me knowing I got an A in a class that I deserved an A for. I mean this class made me want to pursue mathematics as a major (after the adderall) and made math FUN (no oxymoron intended) like instead of playing video games or going out and getting laid, i'd rather do math and chemistry and physics because its a challenge.

inb4 getting laid is a challenge. if you're saying this, you're obviously an introverted aspie with no social skills

>> No.3012275

>>3012189
Math is fun. The hard work is understanding rather than remembering.

>> No.3012345

>>3012275
>>3012275
dammit i know this thats why its fun.

but no one will answer my question on if my argument is a reasonable one for me getting an A. i don't care if "lol its pre-calc chill brah" this is would be my first collegiate A and it would make my dad really proud of me.

>> No.3012363

>>3012345
It's actually not reasonable. While I believe that right now your understanding of the material is on par with what would earn an A in the course, the professor really can't make such a subjective change for a special case. There's no metric to judge how much your grade should be improved.

The only ways to truly test your ability is either you retaking the course or testing out of the course (if your college allows credit by examination).

>> No.3012391

>>3012363
>>3012363
if I ace the final, I'm 3 % points away from an A. besides, its a community college.

but that fucking blows. its a cumulative final. they did it for stephen hawking :(