[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 43 KB, 355x420, Euler_1_web.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3004832 No.3004832 [Reply] [Original]

Super derp chemistry homework question. Yes I am a fag:

When a strip of zinc is placed in a solution of copper sulfate, the blue color of the copper sulfate disappears over a period time, and dark copper metal forms and falls to the bottom of the beaker. Using strips of four of the following five metals in place of the zinc strip will produce the same result, but one of these five will not react with copper sulfate in this way. The one metal among the following that will not cause the blue color to disappear and will not cause copper metal to form is

Fe

Ag

Al

Li

Mg

This shit has me stumped. I suck major cocks at chemistry. Could an anon point me in the right direction?

Pic semi-related, my idol and one of the fathers of the field I'm actually studying.

>> No.3004833

>>3004832
>Ag
>Gold
>One of the most un reactive elements and easily the most unreactive out of all the elements you posted.

>> No.3004852
File: 115 KB, 469x428, trollface.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3004832
PhD in chemistry, allow me to help

Li, it is the element with the least number of protons that you posted as an option

>> No.3004857
File: 205 KB, 375x378, babbicor].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3004833
>Ag
>Gold

>> No.3004860

Thanks. As I said I am a fag. And I didn't really attempt to work on the problem, I just saw it was fuck long so I posted it.

And you just lost the game.

>> No.3004863

>>3004860
what if out of all of the other posts I was the only one who was not trolling?

>> No.3004878

that other guy is a tard. Ag is silver, not gold which has symbol Au. Look at the electrochemical potentials of the half reactions for iron (Fe) and compare with copper and the other metals. Iron is the only one with a half reaction potential below copper. That reaction won't go because it has a potential less than one, ie: you need to put energy in for it to go.

>> No.3004884

Find an activity table, metals higher up on the list tend to form ions more readily.

Ex - Ferric chloride is often used to etch PCB's because copper is more reactive. Iron drops out as a solid and copper chloride forms the solution.

>collection Benker

>> No.3004892

>>3004832
answer is ag.

fe is more active than cu. there's nothing interesting to this question. you just have to remember the order.