[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 12 KB, 300x300, 1300106215208.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2999246 No.2999246 [Reply] [Original]

Why people are atheists:

It's mob-mentality -- people want to fit in, and when they see many people doing a certain action, then they feel compelled to share that same action. At the moment it is popular and cool to be a cynical atheist who hates religion and religious people, and so, therefore, the person who wants to fit in would be a person who is a cynical atheist that hates religious and religious people. If it were cool and popular to be a condescending Christian who tells everyone that they are going to hell if they don't believe in god, then the person who wants to fit in would do that.

Most people are sheep who just emulate others and lack any original thought or individual will, they simply emulate the leaders. For those who do lead these sheep, the reason why they view religion with such condescension is because they hold true to some bizarre view of "modernity," wherein if something is from the past, then since it is from the past, it's therefore wrong (ie the reason it is wrong is because it is from the past). The "modernist" wants everyone to be cynical and nihilistic as he or she is, and a traditional religious person does not fit this point of view, and so the modernist simply dismisses these people and views them as inferior.

While in reality both the atheist and the Christian are both making unproven claims based on faith, at the moment it is popular and cool to be an atheist, and to be a Christian means you are inferior.

>> No.2999258
File: 21 KB, 373x330, xkcd774.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>It's mob-mentality -- people want to fit in, and when they see many people doing a certain action, then they feel compelled to share that same action.

does not compute. christians outnumber atheists by a very large margin. if it was mob mentality, we would join christianity.

and which are you then OP?

>> No.2999270

an agnostic troll?

>> No.2999279
File: 478 KB, 1000x1160, misconception.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2999270
lol, agnostics are just atheists lacking spine.

>> No.2999288

>Why people are religious:

>It's mob-mentality -- people want to fit in, and when they see many people doing a certain action, then they feel compelled to share that same action. At the moment it is popular and cool to be a sheeple who hates science and logical people, and so, therefore, the person who wants to fit in would be a person who is an unthinking zealot that hates science and scientific people. If it were cool and popular to be a man of reason who calls everyone on their bullshit, then the person who wants to fit in would do that.

>Most people are sheep who just emulate others and lack any original thought or individual will, they simply emulate the leaders. For those who do lead these sheep, the reason why they view science with such condescension is because they hold true to some bizarre view of "propriety", wherein if something is new, then since it isn't from the past, it's therefore wrong (ie the reason it is wrong is because it is new). The "traditionalist" wants everyone to be as fanatical and easily led as he or she is, and a logical person does not fit this point of view, and so the traditionalist simply dismisses these people and views them as inferior.

>While in reality both the religious people are making unproven claims based on faith, at the moment it is popular and cool to be superstitious, and to be an atheist means you are inferior.

4/10 for going to such lengths to edit the original text.

Also note that I corrected some of the errors your edits had introduced into the text.

>> No.2999291
File: 11 KB, 356x346, sdfsafa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2999279
lol, atheists are just the hitlers of religion defiance

>> No.2999296

>>2999279
Nicely played, you single handedly took out the ideology of agnostic. Good job, comrade. Apparently I'm an atheist now.

>> No.2999305

>be a Christian means you are inferior.

That is exactly what it means when your hypothesis is magic man done it.

>> No.2999319
File: 20 KB, 582x358, 13693458.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2999291
doing it wrong.

>> No.2999322

>>2999288
oh, its copypasta?
ah! that makes sense.
the moar you know...

>> No.2999525

I don't care if this is a troll. Fuck you. You piece of shit.

Atheist are the minority. In Australia, religious status in my demographic isn't even discussed. Meaning EVERYONE KNOWS RELIGION IS A LOAD OF SHIT. No one is an atheist to be cool; at least from my personal observations atheist status doesn't mean anything.

But then I do go to university so most of my friends are educated. Maybe if I hung out in the ghettos I'd find an area where religious status is important.

Relgion is the cancer of the world. The sooner it's gone the better.

>> No.2999533
File: 25 KB, 423x403, umadd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2999525
well i completely agree...but still
<<<

>> No.2999540

>Why people are atheist:
Stopped right there.
Nope.jpg and this is what retards actually believe would probably describe this thread pretty well.

>>2999279
I don't like you too much but shit, gotta like you because you always beat be to that picture.
How is that even possible,