[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 28 KB, 400x405, fuck-you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2993731 No.2993731 [Reply] [Original]

/Sci/ explain to me why people have the same dream about something?

Example: Dreaming about loosing all your teeth. (I know some of you have had this dream.)

Pic unrelated.

>> No.2993740

Exactly what i thought..

>> No.2993744

common fears

>> No.2993747
File: 7 KB, 185x272, images..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Dreaming about loosing all your teeth. (I know some of you have had this dream.)

>> No.2993755

More interesting: group hallucination. Everyone dreams every night, statistics say there will be repeats.
group hallucinations are much more uncommon and therefore much more onteresting

>> No.2993760

>never had this dream
>theory debunked
and not a single fuck was giving that day

>> No.2993768

common fears. Also like memories people don't always remember their dreams, so they tend to fill in the blanks. If one person dream is sorta remembered another might latch on to it mentally and claim they had the same dreams.

>> No.2993802

>Dreaming about loosing all your teeth.

That's common among people who have had bad (painful) experiences with dentists. They leave you scarred for life, and you can't even sue them for damage. It sucks, but you have to deal with it.

>> No.2993811

I've personally never had the teeth falling out dream, and only had the "naked at school" a few times, but I get the "try to run but I feel like I'm running through jelly and have no traction" dream all the time, which is apparently common. anyone else get this dream?

>> No.2993835

>>2993811
>>but I get the "try to run but I feel like I'm running through jelly and have no traction" dream all the time, which is apparently common. anyone else get this dream?

I've had this pretty frequently
does anyone else have the dream where you're so tired that you're paralyzed and can't see to get up?

I usually have this when I know I shouldn't be sleeping in anyway...

>> No.2993841

Alot of people i know have had the dream where they loose all theire teeth.. It's not exactly the same dream. Someone says they were biting an apple and a tooth fell out then all the others just start falling of in your mouth other say they were doing something else but they all lost theire teeth..

>> No.2993840

>>2993811
>>2993811
This. The thing about being powerless while running, playing sports and shit is our low self-esteem I think.
I know that feel.jpg

>> No.2993845

>>2993811
Had all of these, then lost 13 teeth in a head-first fall 13'9" on to a concrete pavement. Woke up seconds later with a mouth full of what felt like gravel, with bits of bloody tooth, including a whole canine, lying on the concrete in front of my eyes. Wished it was a dream, and said so, though apparenlty not very distinctly.

>> No.2993846

>>2993841
>>Alot of people i know have had the dream where they loose all theire teeth..

to be fair, everyone DID lose all their teeth at some point or another, so it's a childhood experience everyone has in common

>> No.2993849

What does a recurring dream about k-holing in the British Museum mean?

>> No.2993851

The only nightmare that I've ever had which I remember was one I had when I was about 6 and there was a meteor about to crash into planet Earth and I was running away with my trusty teddy bear by my side.

I was fucking terrified of meteors when I was that age, not any more obviously but my ultimate fears consisted of the sun getting too hot to support life and a meteor hitting earth.

>> No.2993900

>>2993845

Jesus Christ, did you have to get dentures?

>> No.2993906

There's a few theories of dream interpretation.

Freudian analysis (psychoanalytical approach) says that there is manifest content and latent content. The manifest content would be the teeth falling out, the latent content would be some deep rooted, unconscious fear, perhaps unrelated to losing teeth. The losing of teeth could be a symbol of mortality, something that everyone faces, thus making it a common dream.

The cognitive approach states that dreams are made up of experiences from the day, so losing teeth could come from actually being worried about your dental hygiene, perhaps because the dentist yelled at you for not flossing enough.

Then there's the activation-synthesis approach, which states that dreams don't mean anything, it's all just random. That's no fun, though.

I fucking love psychology. I know it's a pseudo-science, but I find it fascinating.

>> No.2993955

>>2993747
>>2993760
I'm no scientist, but "some of you" doesn't mean "all of you."

>> No.2993978
File: 10 KB, 200x284, not darwin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2993906
>>2993906
Freud = Fraud

His shit is nothing but bullshit.

>> No.2993999

>>2993978
Never said he wasn't. I actually agree with that, but with psychology you can't just take one method as gospel, all methods have at least a shred of validity.

Honestly, because I smoke cigarettes in my dreams doesn't mean that I want to suck mad dong, as Freud would hypothesize, but rather that I smoke cigarettes in real life, and therefore would be more likely to smoke them in my dreams as well.

No good psychologist uses strictly psychoanalytical approach anymore. Because we are dealing with dreams here, which are to this day, still unexplainable in any sort of concrete way, I have to look at it from every possible angle, even the ones that are probably bullshit.

>> No.2994001
File: 33 KB, 476x462, Twilight1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2993978
tell that to the ad-men