[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 15 KB, 589x365, 12.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2976427 No.2976427 [Reply] [Original]

Dead relatives only; no living ones. We can thus assess what our comparative genetic potential is.

So I will start. My grandparents lived to 74 and 86 respectively. No one in my family has ever suffered from Alzheimer's Disease, but none have lived to 90 either (maximum was 88)

>> No.2976439

Knowing the males in my family, I'll die violently before I'm 50.

>> No.2976441

100, 91, 96, 99.

If I die before I reach the age of 90, I'm a c-c-c-c-combobreaker.

>> No.2976450

Grandmothers: Died 71 (diabetes) and 88 (old age)
Grandfathers: Died 46 (accidental death) and 92 (old age, has Alzheimer's)

Pretty average I guess.

>> No.2976462

More specifically, my grandfather had had a silent heart attack that killed some of his cardiac muscle. He eventually died of heart failure (just quit on him one day).

My grandmother, well, she had no real problems, just a lot of little weaknesses, but her death was from an apparent stroke.

>> No.2976474

Women in general live longer than men, they're more likely to go in a nursing home, and they're more likely to suffer from dementias.

>> No.2976490

Grandmothers: paternal: 25 (died from complications of giving birth) and maternal: 59 (diabetes/heart disease)

Grand fathers: paternal 85 (old age mostly) and maternal: 31 (prostate cancer)

My dad's side of the family lives well into their late 80's early nineties and has few health problems.

My mother's side however are lucky to live to 60 with heart disease, cancer, and diabetes extremely prevalent.

>> No.2976516

My grandmother also had a sister and two brothers. Her sister died at 88 from heart failure shortly before a scheduled pacemaker implant. The older brother died at 72 from leukemia, although he lived in a neighborhood that was near a toxic waste site and had a large number of cancer victims. The younger brother died at 82 or 83, but I don't know what happened with him.

>> No.2976520
File: 135 KB, 600x703, reaction sad bear.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Only my grandmothers are alive, in their 70s and 80s right now. My paternal grandfather died in his 40s, before I was born. My maternal grandfather died in his early 70s. Both died from heart disease.

My maternal grandfather didn't suffer from Alzheimer's, and his mind was as sharp as it could be even when he barely hanging on in his last days. However, my paternal grandmother is showing some signs of dementia.

My maternal grandfather was a ladies man and had incredible charisma. Unfortunately this trait has not passed down to me.

So in other words, I'm going to die early and alone of a heart attack, and my genetic legacy will extend no further than the tear-soaked, cum-stained fap towel on the floor next to my desk.

>> No.2976532

>>2976520

>However, my paternal grandmother is showing some signs of dementia.

Mine was a bit loopy towards the end, but her problem appears to have been vascular (ie. atherosclerotic) dementia. She'd sometimes seem confused and say weird things, but she never failed to recognize us or show any visible indication of memory loss.

>> No.2976538

>>2976520

Don't feel bad. A quick heart attack may be a better end than a slow, horrible decay from Alzheimer's Disease.

>> No.2976556
File: 25 KB, 253x320, 1297199304147.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Grandmothers: both alive, one is 70-something, the other is 82. first seems to be in good health (despite a long history of smoking), the latter has had a hip replacement and other surgeries, but is still fairly active

One grandfather died in his 80s (he had marfan syndrome which I have inherited), the other is still alive into his 70s, has shitty hearing but still coaches football and does hands on work, making metal sculpture things for fun

both sides have healthy hearts and below average blood pressure, that is the most important thing

>> No.2976565

>>2976556
Oh yeah

>Dead relatives only

the only relative I know who died of natural causes was my grandfather

>> No.2976577

>>2976556

>the other is still alive into his 70s, has shitty hearing but still coaches football and does hands on work, making metal sculpture things for fun

Is your grandfather Dick Lebeau (Steelers defensive coordinator)?

My grandmother started to go deaf in her last years, but she refused to wear a hearing aid so you practically had to yell when you were talking to her.

>> No.2976585
File: 124 KB, 584x575, 1293711083238.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Every person that died on my mothers immediate side of the family in the last 50 years had some form of cancer.

Fuck.

>> No.2976594

My grandfather who lived in Australia died when I was 8 or so, and my grandmother's sister just died recently. Those two so far are the only immediate relatives I know that have died. I really don't even know how old they were or how they died...

I heard my grandfather was an army colonel and had complications from shrapnel wounds. He was bed ridden for years but lived for a long time.

>> No.2976600

My paternal grandparents are alive and well in their 80s, although my grandfather has to wear a catheter bag because of a botched prostate operation he had years ago.

>> No.2976601

My parents are both 50+. Dad had testicular cancer a while back, now has only one ball. Mum had breast cancer ages ago, had radiotherapy, then recently had a mastectomy and chemotheraphy.
Also 2 of my grandparents died of cancer.
The other 2 are over 90 and quite frail.
Am I fooked?

>> No.2976611

My family generally live a while unless they're smokers in which case they die in their 60s-70s, I don't smoke tobacco but rather weed...so who knows...
Anything over 70 is good anyway.

>> No.2976627

Mother's side:
89, stroke
70, alcoholism

Father's side:
24, war
93, embolism

>> No.2976634

Kind of pointless to speculate since our idea of life expectancy is outdated.

Consider the sort of medical technology we had when these relatives were born, compare that to our current technology.

Not only will we live longer because of it, well live longer to benefit from new technologies and live longer still.

And that's looking at things linearly, new technologies that will revolutionize the medical field are well underway ( nanobots, gene therapy, and further off organ cloning)

Were able to sequence a virus in 30 days now, well live long enough to see virus sequencing in a matter of hours if not minutes.

>> No.2976647

Maternal grandfather died 62 (accidental causes, no known health problems.) On my father's side, my great-grandmother died at 99 (organ failure) and she was showing signs of Alzheimer's during her last couple of years - lived independently until age 96, though. I only know that my maternal great-grandparentswere gunned down during WWII.

My paternal grandmother (76) is a bit worse for wear and can't walk without assistance - she's also "slightly" deaf. My paternal grandfather (81) has been active throughout his life and is still in pretty good shape, though he does have arthritis. My maternal grandmother (65-75, I've no idea) had a stroke a couple of years ago and is very weak - high blood cholesterol, heart problems, etc.

Family history on my mother's side before my grandmother's generation was destroyed (we don't even know her real birth date, doesn't help she lies about her age). There's been at least one know case of Alzheimer's other than my great-grandmother. I don't know of anyone directly related to me with diabetes and there have been 2 cases of benign tumours that I know of.

That's all I can think of, bro.

>> No.2976652

Paternal grandfather: 27, Cause of Death: Red Army
Paternal grandmother: 32, Cause of Death: Red Army

Maternal grandfather: 44, Cause of Death: Red Army
Maternal grandmother: 87, Cause of Death: heart failure

All in all, there seems to be a genetic predisposition towards getting killed by Russians in our family.

>> No.2976701

>>2976647

>my great-grandmother died at 99 (organ failure) and she was showing signs of Alzheimer's during her last couple of years - lived independently until age 96, though

Are you sure she didn't have vascular dementia? Because that's often mistaken for Alzheimer's.

>> No.2976727

All 4 grandparents alive, they're all either 81 or 80. Only my grandfather from my fathers side is in a life threatening situation (diabetes).
Cancer and Alzheimer's Disease are rare in both of the families.
It seems I'll do just fine.

>> No.2976737

>>2976701

I say this because usually AD manifests itself in your 70s or 80s. If you don't have it by 90, you probably will never have it.