[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 34 KB, 432x599, little_red_book.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2961785 No.2961785 [Reply] [Original]

TLDR: Free software, how to commercialize?

It has been demonstrated that free software can be cost effective and profitable under circumstances (linux, Qt, all the organisations running on donations like blender foundation, basically anybody using free software has an interest in getting bugs fixed), however it appears that is not the case when it comes to entertainment (console games, little mobile apps, etc). Are there schemes to remedy this? My initial observation is that a hardware vendor has commercial interest in having content available for their platform. Then I can come up with three approaches off the top of my head 1) the vendor requests content and rewards for fulfilling the request, or just hires people to do it 2) developers come to the vendor with their content, and the vendor then somehow decides its value and pays the developers 3) the developers put their content "out there", and the vendor then sends them money as the content gains popularity. Now of course there are a lot of blanks to fill in and the merits differ, but I'd believe somebody has already thought this out. Requesting any links or insights.

>> No.2961793

You know what they call free software that's been commercialized?

Software.

>> No.2961804
File: 66 KB, 432x324, stallman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2961793
Free as in GPL
See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software

>> No.2961823
File: 41 KB, 727x655, tim_minchin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2961793
do you know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work?

medicine.

>> No.2961846

The thing with games is that they are not about programming but art, and no BA knows what free software is.

>> No.2961877
File: 21 KB, 680x257, creativecommons.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2961846
CC-NC-ND ;_;

>> No.2962098

nokia was starting something like 1) but microsoft is now paying them huge sums to take a different route
it obviously won't scale very far though so you need something more on top of it
the problem with 3) is that it's a headache to determine how you reward libraries or derivatives
simply rewarding only the "original authors" should work to a degree though, you can think of it as delegating the rewarding of anybody who helped them to them