[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 19 KB, 320x313, wow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2956326 No.2956326 [Reply] [Original]

dear /sci/,

fellow undergrad here with a strong appreciation for science. drop some knowledge on me that will make me wow. bonus points if you wow me with biology (biology usually doesn't get me hard).

>> No.2956336
File: 98 KB, 360x360, wheeeeeeeee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can introduce a singular transposition mutation in your DNA and kill you slowly.

Come at me, bro

>> No.2956332

Any category with a terminal object and pullbacks for each pair of arrows with a common codomain is finietly complete.

>> No.2956346

something isnt really inside you until you absorb it into you via digestion. meaning when you eat something, it still isnt inside you. this also means that the outer layer of your GI tract is outside you. your mouth and esophagus and the lining of your stomach and whatnot is outside you. you are essentially a human doughnut

>> No.2956360

pax genes are more of less universal for every animal. for example, the pax gene for eyes. if you take the pax eye gene from a human and put it into the cells of the leg of a fly and activate them, a fly eye will grow in the fly's leg

>> No.2956362

>>2956346
never thought of this before. not wowed though. semi-proved though thanks to Grigori Perelman's solution to the Poincaré Conjecture.

>> No.2956374

bacteria live in your colon. different species survive on different things. if you stop eating something, all the bacteria that depend on that one thing die. if you eat a lot of something, all the bacteria that eat that thing thrive. their lives are dictated by your eating habits. you decide which ones live and which ones die. you are god of your colon.

>> No.2956377

>>2956360
i like this. not quite there though.

>> No.2956384

>>2956332
What are pullbacks?
I cannot into category theory..

>> No.2956388

plants can turn CO2 into glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate, which can be made into sugars. they take fucking air and make it into sugar. this is something we just accept and take for granted, but its pretty damn amazing. just think about it. taking air, and producing saccharides

>> No.2956391

I'll make you wow OP:

A vagina is an inwards dick, and placed upside down.

>> No.2956397

>>2956326
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurrent_laryngeal_nerve
>Evidence of evolution
>The extreme detour of this nerve in giraffes (fifteen feet farther than the direct route of a designer) is cited as evidence of evolution as opposed to intelligent design. [1]

>> No.2956411

>>2956397
getting there. i do enjoy me some evolution. think i may know just enough about it though not to be wowed.

>>2956388
haha, i agree. but there's so many things more amazing than this in science that are taken even more so for granted

>> No.2956420

look at your computer screen. waves of light are being emitted from it. these light waves hit your eyes and somehow your brain turns that into an image. i want you to find out exactly how eyes do that. then, if that isnt trippy enough, contemplate how a structure like an eye could have randomly evolved to where it is today. starting as a nonexistant structure, and slowly taking shape over millions of years due to completely random mutations and selective pressures. then, look at how an eye works on a molecular level. how exactly specific proteins alter shape ever so slightly in the presence of light and send out a cascade of neurons and whatnot, then how your brain can interpret this mess of signals into the image you see. its fucking crazy ass man

>> No.2956436

>>2956420
this would have wowed my face out of my ass if i hadn't done high school science. crazy shit, but i'm afraid i've already been wowed with that. great post though. this is what i mean by greater things being taken for granted >>2956388

>> No.2956439

lets say you eat a cookie. its delicious. you digest it. the monomers of that cookie are now in circulation in your blood stream (so the cookie is, for all intents and purposes, blood now. inb4 elitests point out obvious errors here. its just a nice analogy. im not implying the cookie is now hemoglobin or anything of the sort). anyway, this has raised your blood glucose levels. your body conter-acts this by releasing insulin, which causes cells to absorb the glucose and store it as glycogen. ok. back the fuck up. how did that even happen. the presence of glucose slightly above normal altered the shape of a protein in the cell membranes of your pancreatic cells. this simple shape change caused a phosphorylation cascade that ended in the release of transcription factors, mediator proteins and activator proteins in the cell's nucleus which all serve to promote the binding of RNA polymerase of a single specific gene to make a single strand of RNA which, through various processes, was made into insulin which was excreted (look into how cells excrete proteins starting from the synthesis of the polypeptide. thats some interesting shit) into your blood to cause the glucose to be stored. this is just your average day for your body. and im not even going into detail on this stuff

>> No.2956455

>>2956420
Evolution isn't random.

>> No.2956459

>>2956455
Well, not just random. Evolution requires some elements of randomness, but natural selection is a decidedly non-random process.

>> No.2956463

>>2956455
it is. random genetic differences drive evolution.

>> No.2956464

tl;dr version of all these posts
take some action
analyze it in ever increasing detail
repeat for infinite amazement

the more mundane the task the better
moving your finger. blinking. breathing. feeling

if you somehow run out of ideas before you die, you can move on to plant and animal actions

>> No.2956472

>>2956439
pretty cool. but i'm more wowed by the fact that humans were able to discover this than the actual process itself.

>> No.2956474

>>2956455
it is essentially. if a mutation randomly occurs, and it just so happens to be beneficial to the reproduction rate of the organism in question, based off outside factors, then it can spread throughout a population

evolution is random. it doesnt think or decide what traits would make a species more fit for survival.

>> No.2956476

>>2956464
agreed. hence why i was hoping biology would be avoided. where are all you chem/physics/geo/materials/etc cunts?

>> No.2956515

>>2956476
its actually pretty solid advice. biology is some truly interesting stuff. you should look into the experiments done to map the pathway for photosynthesis

>> No.2956524
File: 62 KB, 800x437, 800px-Magnetosphere_rendition.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2956476
The sun shoot electrons and protons in every direction, this creates a ball shaped sphere (roughly from sun to pluto) defending the solar system against cosmic rays. However this shooting around would kill us if we hadn't our earth's electro-magnetic field, wich is created through the earth's spinning and its liquid core.

If the sun would suddelny stop "glowing", we would die of cosmic rays before we would freeze to death.

Pic related it the magnetic field wich is alsways deformed because of the sun's "shooting"

>> No.2956550

>>2956524
high school level physics. thanks for mixing it up from biology though

>> No.2956746

Evolution is not random. Mutations might be, but the "natural selection" of which mutations endure and which disappear is not random. Sex is actually the strongest selective factor, and it is not random, nor slow. Example of a whole butterfly species changing color in one generation: http://www.practicalbiology.org/areas/advanced/evolution/modelling-natural-selection/selection-in-ac
tion-peppered-moths,151,EXP.html
Yes, biology, wow.

>> No.2956772
File: 1001 KB, 3000x2000, Biston.betularia.f.carbonaria.7209.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2956746
coal moth ftw
evolution is not random
DNA is "intelligent", in some way. Actually I believe it's a lifeform in itself, and different species are just manifestations of this lifeform. We as individuals are just the cells of a superior lifeform. Discuss

>> No.2956777

>a ball shaped sphere

>i_don't_have_a_reaction_image_for_this.gif

>> No.2956788
File: 89 KB, 743x442, football-19699..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2956777
ball-shaped sphere is the new queen of /sci/
pic related, it's a ball shaped ball

>> No.2956808

You can save yourself a lot of time in physics by remembering that lenz's law is just an application of the principle of the conservation of energy. That one time changing current induced by another will always act to decrease the one that started it (or else they would start increasing each other infinitely)