[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 6 KB, 251x189, Heavy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2950807 No.2950807 [Reply] [Original]

ITT: Those /sci/ related pet peeves. Reaction images optional.

>u and v used as variables in the same problem.

>> No.2950821

>>2950807
You must hate Ohms laws then

>> No.2950824

Threads that aren't about science and/or math.

>> No.2950830
File: 26 KB, 476x356, 1296209544023.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2950807
>green text threads on /sci/

>> No.2950833
File: 1.83 MB, 200x200, 1297994325142.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I teach math and this is one I'm constantly trying to not do.

>can't tell apart b's and 6's

>> No.2950834

More like he hates integration by parts.

AMEN BRO

>> No.2950835
File: 87 KB, 640x867, lolengineering.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2950821

wat?

V=IR

>> No.2950837

How do you even deal with unit vectors? All my lecturers always use u and v.

>> No.2950838

>>2950807
I have the same problem in chemistry with K's, due to a retarded flaw in my handwriting, there is not difference other than size between my lowercase and caps, makes for some confusing equilibria

>> No.2950842

>>2950821
Or integrating by parts.

>> No.2950851

I think math helped my penmanship sort of.

>> No.2950881

I hate it when t is a variable. Partially because my ts and +s look identical.

>> No.2950897

>>2950881

ugh.. Usually I'm not bothered by notation, but seeing something like (tcottsin2t-ttant)dt is annoying as fuck.

>> No.2950914

>>2950897
>(tcottsin2t-ttant)dt
<div class="math">(t\cdot cot(t)sin(2t)-t\cdot tan(t))dt?</div>

>> No.2950938
File: 40 KB, 455x429, powergirl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2950914

>> No.2950946
File: 3 KB, 560x373, 1285633507101.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>variables are t and b
>my t and bs look like + and 6s

>> No.2950971
File: 77 KB, 120x120, 48b2334f_f0a8_cc1b.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

when teachers add

x 100% at the end of Percent Error and Percent Yield equations...

MULTIPLYING BY 100% IS MULTIPLYING BY 1 YOU FUCKTARDS

>> No.2950985

itt: assburgers with poor handwriting

>> No.2951252
File: 33 KB, 288x499, 1279869228066.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>t, s, or l used as variables

>> No.2951267

>chinese teacher pronouncing "v" "wee", "square root 2" "screw you"

>> No.2951278

>>2950971
But that's the only way to officially get a percent in your answer... Right?

>> No.2951280

My pet peeve?
People who make shitty threads and reaction images.
Fuck you, OP.

>> No.2951284

profs talking to the board that they're writing on or body-blocking so you can't see what the hell they're writing until they start a new column

>> No.2951288

In describing the Nth term of sequence with alternate letters:

Sth, Xth, Uth, Bth, Wth

>> No.2951289

>>2950971
This. Especially in undergraduate courses where picky professors take points off for not including it.

How to number?

>> No.2951311
File: 10 KB, 235x214, typingtroll.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hey sci, take out a scratch piece of paper and solve this, k?

0 = 5s^3 + (uv)^2 + t + l + 1

>> No.2951336

My a's look like 9's. This is a problem when a9 comes up.

>> No.2951351

t and l used as variables and adding zeros after decimals.

>> No.2951373

>>2951288
>Sith
>Exeth
>Youth
>Bith
>Double-Youth

Holy god I'm glad I've never seen that.

>> No.2951392
File: 166 KB, 576x440, aku squint.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>"HEY BRO YOUR INTO SCIENCE RITE
>"Mostly biology but I don't really li-"
>WAT COLOR IS A MONKEY'S DICK LOL

>> No.2951398

>>2950807
For me its S's and 5's >_<

I got around the U and V issue by making my U's look like mu's.

>> No.2951405

Situations likes this and situations that are analogous (use your imagination):

One that gets me is when a student labels an arbitrary angle as theta, and in the entirety of the present diagram makes sure to label all supplementary angles as 180-theta and all complimentary angles as 90-theta as though it was some esoteric mystery left only to his expertise to behold!

>> No.2951413

>>2951405
What's wrong with that? It seems completely legit.

>> No.2951419
File: 177 KB, 316x321, 13032031254.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>studying engineering

>You're an engineer. Figure it out.

>> No.2951421
File: 6 KB, 232x216, gordon freeman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

electricity/magnetism problems that involve the letter R for resistance and the letter R for radius in the same god damn problem

lowercase L's that look like 1's

units which have radians in their dimension, and when they're supposed to be "dimensionless" I end up with a rad at the end. What the fuck kind of dimension is radian? It's like it is or it isn't! FUCK

being the only black guy in the class

>> No.2951423

>>2951413
It's mathematically correct, yes, but such labellings are superfluous, unnecessary, or not referenced at all.

>> No.2951425

>>2951421

Neil Tyson? Is that you?

>> No.2951427

>>2950971

It's necessary notation, otherwise your result is not actually a percentage.

>> No.2951428

When people use x to indicate multiplication.

>> No.2951430

>>2951421

radians are radians. that is their unit. anytime you see 2pi in the numerator... that gives you radians

1/2pi gets rid of the units.

thats obviously not always strictly true, but that is usually where the 2pi comes from in cases that actually deal with angles or any kind of spherical/cylindrical symmetry.

obviously it also crops up whenever there are complex quantities to be considered. (that is still radians, but it also crops up in those integrals you use to find the value of a function on the interior of a domain by its contour integral around the boundary, cant remember what you call it, but its the formula used for Laplace transforms as an example)

>> No.2951456

people who think they understand quantum mechanics after watching What The Bleep and had their minds blown

Alex Jones/rense/chemtrail-type conspiracy theorists who think they know economics yet don't know calculus.

as a CS major, way too much research going into informatics/social networking horse shit.

the fact that salman khan was a far better teacher than anybody I ever had in K-12 and if he youtube and fast internet and him were around when I was a kid I would've had my Ph. D by now.

>> No.2951496

>>2951421
HEY WASSUP DOG

>> No.2951541

I hate it when "s" is a variable. It forces me to take extra time to differentiate it from a "5".

Integration by parts, obviously, but thats not a really a pet peeve, just kinda an annoyance.

I hate it when movies use entirely ridiculous scientific concepts as plot devices, but take a minute or two (or a lot more) to try and describe it with pseudo-esoteric language so that the audience thinks it's legit. I'm all for suspension of disbelief to drive a plot (e.g. you don't need to feed me fake science bullshit to validate why you have a laser gun, I can accept that it's the future, move on!), but recently, most sci-fi films seem to try and trick the audience into thinking they are being educated. The result is as people walk out of the theater, they think retarded shit could really happen.
My prime example: The Core. Not only it is a terrible movie in pretty much every way, but it tries so hard to seem WAY smarter than it's retarded plot is. The result is that now thousands or retards think that all that shit could actually happen.

I'm a physics/mathematics/astronomy tripple major, so even though I love my physics stuff, I totally rage on the inside when a physics professor writes out an integral without the dx, or writes "sin x" without the parenthesis, so it's totally unclear exactly what sin is operating on, especially when it's not just "x", it's a big expression and it's ambiguous as to which parts of the expression the sine operates on and which it doesn't. Typically it's obvious how it's supposed to be, but it's just sloppy.

>> No.2951549

>>2951456
I lol'd at the What The Bleep part.

Sadly, I watched that movie when i was younger and probably acted a little pretentious about it all, especially considering a lot of the movie is kinda pseudo-science. Now that I've taken quantum mechanics, I get equally upset with people who pretend to know shit about it.

As Richard Feynman once said "I think we can safely say only a few people truly understand relativity, one of which is Einstein. We can also safely say NOBODY truly understands Quantum physics!"

>> No.2951564

Also, fuck the engineers and people who are semi-interested in math who want to invent "Tau":

pi = Circumference/radius
Tau = Circumference/diameter

All the retarded tau enthusiasts think that tau is a "better" number and more representative and that it makes more sense. If "Tau" were adopted, a full circle would be tau radians instead of 2pi radians. Similarly, sin and cos would have periods of tau, not 2 pi.
2pi shows up a lot in different equations, so people think tau would just be easier, but as a math major, I can assure that you for ever 2pi that became a tau in some equation there would be about 5 pi's that become tau/2.
A simple example of how tau doesn't necessarily always simplify things is that now the period for tangent isn't pi, it's tau/2.

Listen taufags, if you can't get over a stupid factor of 2 showing up every once in a while, then you are just a lazy retard. If the unit circle is too hard to understand because it's not in terms of tau, then maybe you should become a comm major or some shit, stop asking every equation and textbook in all of history to be rewritten in terms of tau just cause you are a fucking dipshit loser idiot.

/rage.

>> No.2951576

>>2951564
This is the first I've ever heard of such a thing.

In my own pet projects I've defined my own weird little systems but never heard of anybody advocating that the rest of the community adopt them.

>> No.2951585

>>2951541
Neurofag here, I have many of these same pet peeves. Obviously not with physical science stuff, but neuro stuff.

For example, pot heads who think they're experts on neuroscience because they saw a PBS documentary about drugs and now know what dopamine is. In the same vein, anyone who says "brain chemicals" as if it explains anything is equally as annoying. And don't get me started on new-age hippies and "brain waves".

>> No.2951602

>>2951585

Well.. that's just like your opinion man.
You're not open minded enough, there's no such thing
as 'knowledge'. Nothing is ever true, you just need
to try weed man..

>> No.2951622

>>2951564
so ill take it you are anti tau

>> No.2951623

Why oh why do we i,j,k? My i and j get confused all the time. K is ok though.

>using x as a variable and multiplication sign in the same problem
>books that say doubles "||x||" are magnitude, then turn around and use the absolute value symbol like assholes.
>people who say math is totally "manmade"

That's just my math ones, I have a list of astronomy peeves that include
>MUTHER FUCKING ASTROLOGY IS NOT ASTRONOMY
>Calling the solar system a galaxy, calling planets stars, ignorance of the highest degree
>Teachers distinguish carefully between spiral and barred spiral galaxies, then spend the rest of the semester calling the Milky Way a spiral galaxy
>Whenever my Physics teacher thinks she can talk about astronomy.
>People using old astrological signs
>People using updated astrological signs
>People forgetting Ophy' ma man
>People caring about astrological signs
>People who care about astrological signs not knowing that it's the constellation the sun is "in" on their birthday, looking for it at night
>Saying that light takes 8 minutes to get to Earth. Then saying that it takes a couple more minutes to bounce off the moon and get here at night.
The list goes on, but I seem to have delved more into rageworthy idiocy than simple pet peeves. Sorry.

>> No.2951632

>>2951576
Hey, Richard Feynman invented his own notation in trigonometry and stuff as he learned it before he was officially "taught" it. I'm all for making up your own little tricks, but you have to realize that the reason why math has specific notation is so that everybody can read it, so Feynman quickly got forced into the parameters of convention.

I wouldn't even really be all that mad ("I ain't even mad") if people were like "hey, lets invent this thing called tau that we can use in place of 2*pi where it's convenient!", but instead people are like "BURN PI TO THE GROUND! PI IS WRONG, WE SHOULD BE TEACHING TAU!"

I'm not even fucking kidding you, I've seen TONS of shit explicitly saying "Pi is wrong" as if it's really any more different than tau....

I understand that the initial teaching of the unit circle and shit might be a bit easier if tau was adopted, but pi shows up all by it's lonesome WAY more than 2*pi every does, and so all these kids would have to learn what pi means as well as how to use it eventually.

Saying tau is better and we should get rid of pi altogether is like saying we should get rid of the number 1 (and all other integers) because we have 1/2, and 1 = 2 * 1/2, but we can express even MORE numbers as multiples of 1/2 than we can multiples of 1, so we should just oust one all together, they are obviously useless.

>> No.2951646

>>2951585
Oh man, I know what you mean. I'm not an neuroscience major, but I know a fair amount, at least enough to want to rage when pot heads (or anybody else) claims to know what is going on in their bodies.

Same with psychology. When people tell me they have a phobia because they just don't like spiders or whatever, or are OCD since they are organized. I want to punch them in the mouth.

Also people who are otherwise very educated but who make claims that they are totally unqualified to make. Example: My roommate, who I like very much, is an educational psychology Ph.D. student. While I won't at all question his opinions on psychometrics and shit, I ca't help but roll my eyes when he says he doesn't like addiction is a disease and that it's simply a behavioral thing.
It's like, dude, I know there is some debate on the matter, but the overwhelming majority of internists, and other MEDICAL doctors have accepted the fact that it's a disease. Just because the DSM IV doesn't really ever call it a "disease" doesn't mean it isn't one, because psychologists AREN'T pathologists or anything, they don't get to decide what is a disease and what isn't.

>> No.2951678

>>2951623
>>people who say math is totally "manmade"
Point me to any part that isn't.

>> No.2951714

>>2951623
>>2951623
>People using old astrological signs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=litgdI5_1Uo

>> No.2951727

>>2951678
It's not that's an untrue statement, it's just the way it's used as a diminutive. Like the way I just used the word "just"
Decapitation? It's just a flesh wound.
Evolution? It's only a theory.

Money and language and lots of things are JUST "manmade", that doesn't make them insignificant or unworthy of taking seriously.

>> No.2951736

Teacher that wrote lowercase sigma like lowercase gamma for the entire year in stats, and claimed I didn't know what I was talking about. I'm Greek.

>> No.2951741

Lose my professionalism immediately when someone invents a stupid acronym. Example: in cancer risk pharmaceutical assessment, Human Exposure/Rat Potency Drug Evaluation Response Program.

Couldn't stop laughing long enough to finish two different problem sets because they were both about HERP DERP.

>> No.2951745

>>2951564
I now know you're not a math major.
Math majors would know that pi = circle/diameter.

>> No.2951751

>>2951423
They're just students. Labeling everything is a way to get comfortable with the diagram. It's like writing out every single step of an algebra manipulation; from your perspective it's a waste of space, but from theirs it's a way to make sure they're not making a mistake. I'd relax a bit about it if I were you

>> No.2951753

>>2950807
What about using both <span class="math">v[/spoiler] and <span class="math">\nu[/spoiler] in the same equation :p

>> No.2951760

>>2951632
Also, way to miss the point.
It's not about the number of times that pi appears, or that 2pi appears. It's about the fact that tau is the ratio between the circumference and the radius. In other words, tau is the circumference of a unit circle. Therefore, it's the natural periodocity of simple periodic functions.
When explaining where some equations regarding sinus and cosinus come from, it's easier to explain it using tau.

>> No.2951780
File: 1.22 MB, 324x243, peggyisdead2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My computational numerical analysis professor post the answers to our assigned problems so that we can review and half of the solutions he just writes "straightforward" and moves on to the next question.

>mfw

>> No.2951799

>>2951564
Lol!

2pi!