[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 500 KB, 2344x1315, 1303711757334.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2949635 No.2949635 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, /sci/, I was wondering, and this is just an honest question, if, in a zero-point energy field, quantum states of matter can be simultaneously exist and not-exist, then can this be applicable to all matter? And if so, then does this disprove the Law of Conservation of Matter?

Pic unrelated

>> No.2949668

Bump for answers

>> No.2949791
File: 34 KB, 500x400, 1303711265257.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2949828
File: 1.93 MB, 1920x1040, cutey_Emma_av.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

define
>zero-point energy field
maybe you just mean the zero point energy of quantum theory. all (both) the theories in the standard model, electrowaek (electrons etc.) interaction and strong interaction (quarks etc.) admit a zero point energy.
>in a zero-point energy field, quantum states
quantum states are not in the field, but they should be thought of excitations of the field. they always come together.
>quantum states of matter can be simultaneously exist and not-exist
yeah the particle number operator (eigen-)value of an interaction theory (many different interaction particles) will in general not be zero.
>then can this be applicable to all matter
yes, in a way.
>And if so, then does this disprove the Law of Conservation of Matter?
yes and no. "Law of Conservation of Matter" is not part of our current models, conservation of energy is more fundamental. In a non-general-relativistic scenario, the conservation of energy is true.

captcha: humerf QED

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_number
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_number_operator

>> No.2949833

Law of conservation of matter as you probably learned is used as a concept in newtonion mechanics.
It doesn't apply to quantum mechanics in the same sense of 'conservation'.

>> No.2949853

>>2949833
I think what hasnt been said here is conservation laws can be violated at the quantum level for short amounts of time, the large the mass/energy violation the shorter amount of time.

>> No.2949841 [DELETED] 

wait, in the middle of the post above, I should rather say
"yeah the state you are considering will in general not be an eigenstate of the particle number operator and therefor it's expectation value will not be sharp"

>> No.2949860

wait, in the middle of the post above, I should rather say
"yeah the state you are considering will in general not be an eigenstate of the particle number operator and therefor it's expectation value will not be sharp"

concerning the first wiki link (I just saw that the second one is purely technical) you should be reading the last section which refers to quantum mechanics

>> No.2949907

>>2949833
>>2949853
Quantum mechanics are a pile of steaming bullshit.
That's why it violates every laws in existence. You must be blind to not see it.