[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 23 KB, 350x295, physician-scientist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2931051 No.2931051 [Reply] [Original]

Ok guys I'm applying for a grant and these are my specific aims, tell me what you think. I had to edit out a few parts so I don't give away all my secrets!!

Multicellular organisms begin their development as a single cell, and with few exceptions most cells of the adult organism contains the same genetic compliment. This imposes the question, what are the cellular and molecular mechanisms that allows cells to establish unique identities and perpetuate them throughout the life of the organism? Recent technology permits the altering of cell identity via reprogramming or directed differentiation; this affords the unique opportunity to examine the mechanism of cell fate specification and maintenance. It is my hypothesis that cell fate can be modulated and directed by altering [REDACTED]. I propose to explicate the cellular and molecular mechanism of glial cell fate specification and produce functional glial cell types for use in clinical settings. To achieve this I propose three specific aims:

Aim 1: Reprogramming and Directed Differentiation : The goal of this aim is to (1.1) using [REDACTED] reprogram somatic cells and (1.2) differentiate pluripotent stem cells to defined lineages, specifically neuronal cell fates, with high efficiency by expression of [REDACTED]. For example in 1.1) I will use [REDACTED] to reprogram somatic cells to a more pluripotent state and in 1.2) I will use a combination of: [REDACTED] to direct differentiation of embryonic stem cells to a glial lineage.

>> No.2931052

Aim 2: Transcriptional Profiling: The goal of this aim is to (2.1) elucidate the developmental signals and pathways needed to confer glial cellular identities and (2.2) employing these intrinsic and extrinsic factors generate functional neuronal cell types for possible use in clinical settings. For example in 2.1) once glial lineages are differentiated I will use [REDACTED] to examine [REDACTED] during differentiation and 2.2) use these cells for in vivo studies such as [REDACTED] and in vitro studies such as drug screening.

Aim 3: Transplantation and Functional Recovery: The goal of this aim is to (3.1) using molecular methods engineer [REDACTED] pluripotent stem cell lines capable of directed differentiation to [REDACTED] cells, and (3.2) as a long term goal examine injection of these [REDACTED] cells in an in vivo model of dysmyelination with the goal of functional recovery. For example in 3.1) I will create a [REDACTED], stably integrate it into pluripotent stem cells, and test the capability of the cells to maintain this [REDACTED] through differentiation; and in 3.2) I will inject these [REDACTED] cells in an in vivo model of dysmyelination, such as [REDACTED] mice, in an attempt to gain functional recovery and optimize[REDACTED].

So what do you think?

>> No.2931059

I think you should [REDACTED] and [REDACTED]. That way you'll [REDACTED] which is [REDACTED].

>> No.2931071

>>2931059
Yeah, I was thinking that too. Thanks for the input!

>> No.2931072

OP is a massive [REDACTED].

>> No.2931091

I am not sure but i read of somethignsimilar to this being done by Reneuron.

http://www.reneuron.com/news__events/news/document_260_237.php

anyway have you read the article in nature titled, "the dark side to induced pluripotency" It argues that certain epigenetic changes are not reversed and therfore causes cell defects which will cause abnormal cell function....

Just some things I would immediately point out. However I assume if you are this far along you are not really looking for advice anymore and have already researched these options.

>> No.2931111

>>2931091
1.) I'm working with glia, not neurons
2.) Yes I have read it, but I work with human embryonic stem cells too, not just iPS cells.

>> No.2931185

>>2931072
thanks for the vote of confidence bro