[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 475 KB, 748x460, Mars_Earth_Comparison.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2893266 No.2893266 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/, quick ethics question:

In the future, should we attempt to terraform the surface of Mars for colonization? Or should we leave it as is, in order to continue studying it's natural history?

Also, would the discovery of naturally occurring microbial life affect your opinion?

>> No.2893298
File: 119 KB, 1618x913, 1300142506718.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Op is a faggot

Colonise obviously, the survival of the human race is more important than immaculate geological studies

>> No.2893310

>questions of ethics in regards to a barren planet

Really? That aside:
>should we attempt to terraform the surface of Mars for colonization? Or should we leave it as is, in order to continue studying its natural history?

It may almost be a necessary action for mankind to flee Earth at some point in its existence, at which point the Earth will no longer be in the "habitable zone" of space (what with the sun's rapid expansion into a red giant in some few billion years). Mars, however, will fit quite nicely within this band of space, so I'd verge on saying that it would be foolish not to do so eventually. Saw a diagram on it on this board yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to save it.

>> No.2893335
File: 248 KB, 402x364, 1296426314099.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>suggesting we'll ever even go there

>> No.2893344

neither, i don't think terraforming is fisable idea.
it's better to make underground habitats.

>> No.2893377
File: 131 KB, 640x960, one day in america.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Basically we will see, colonising mars in some way is extremely likely for humans or transhumans. For us, we'll see.

If we pray hard enough maybe god will help us out :)

>> No.2893383

>>2893377

What's happening in the last panel?

>> No.2893390

Bumping for sweet science.

>> No.2893409

Our progress and development overall as a species has derived from, and been enhanced by - our ability to adapt and conquer new environments and land masses to our needs. Essentially our entire existence is defined by expansion.

Unless you want to thaw Antarctica out, the Moon and Mars are our next steps.

TL;DR

Nothing other than expansion, colonization is relevant.

>> No.2893452

>>2893310
>mfw in a few billion years humans will probably go extinct because we are a highly specialized and thus, will die off first when a dramatic shift in climate happens.

>> No.2893470

>>2893452
>implying that adaptation is impossible for modern humans

>> No.2893485

>>2893452
highly specialized? if you mean able to thrive at the equator in the middle of Africa or in the middle of the Kalahari desert eating only small animals with the only water source plant roots, or at almost the north pole eating only fish and blubber while still more are living in tropical regions living of of fruit, then yes, we are highly specialized.

>> No.2893496

>>2893344
Why not both? we colonise under ground spend the resources gathered on teraforming. Once thats done we now have a habitable planet. and enough tecnology to harness fission and heat energy.

>> No.2893498

The only thing Mars has going for it is its relative proximity to earth

Venus is far more viable, it has about the same gravity as earth, a working magnetic field (BIG BONUS), and we don't actually need to terraform it (although we could if we wanted as there actually IS an atmosphere there to terraform), we just build floating cities that float in the sky

>> No.2893507

>>2893498
I'm shitting my self laughing at your statement hahahahahaha

>> No.2893520

>>2893498
This. Venus is nice because you can have your cities in the sky located at atmospheric pressure equal to earth, meaning no pressure vessels.

Also, the solar irradiance is twice that of earth, meaning solar power is a much more viable energy form.

The problem of course is how the fuck do we build a floating city?

>> No.2893545

>go to mars
>dig iron oxide from the surface
>might find aluminium or other metals deeper
>make thermite
>produce energy from it

>> No.2893564

>>2893520
please tell me you know that venus's atmosphere is not only acidic to a level of your stomache and not only is venus the most geologically active object in the solar system next to Io and not only that venus atmosphere is the hottest atmosphere in the solar system next to the sun. Please tell me you know this. The planet is un habbitable. and never will be ever. there is no economic reason as you cannot harness it's heat theres no scientific or simply any reason why humas would want to go to venus. Mars, a space flotilla or Jupiters moons are are best bet. venus is lower on the list to habit than mecury least solar power can happen on mecuray

>> No.2893573

>>2893520
1 - Acquire Helium filled balloons
2 - Build city shaped like a sphere
3 - seal the lower half and put utilities equipment in, fill with helium
4 - cover bottom of sphere with solar pannels
5 - ??????
6 - Enjoy your floating city on Venus

>> No.2893599

>>2893564
Even though you wouldn't need a pressurized vessel to live in the Venusian atmosphere you would still need a protective suit when going outside of the enclosure

also, there are such things as "corrosion resistant materials"

and using the cities we can collect and process atmospheric gasses to make more cities

>> No.2893604

ha i think by the time we are ready to terra form anything there will be hippy fags saying we should leave it the way we found it.

>> No.2893631

>>2893599
then have fun sustaining a population of 10,000 people because shit aint going to be worth it. You need alot of "corrosion resistant materials" to hold back constant sulphuric acid exposure and 735K temps. Oh finding something that doesn't melt or corrode at 735K will be impossible just so you know. Oh and venus is getting hotter

>> No.2893634

>>2893631
sorry for my sarcastic tone. It's just not possible on venus. at all.

>> No.2893651
File: 49 KB, 441x408, 101.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>humans
>surviving long enough to colonize anywhere

That's a good one. 70 years of [relative] peace and now people think we're gonna start living on planets.