[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 74 KB, 320x288, chp_wireless_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2865118 No.2865118 [Reply] [Original]

Hey there /sci/, I've got a question for you. How does digital communications work? This is sort of related to combat, so how does digital radio work? Can it be jammed? What are the differences between normal radio and digital? Is there static? Can digital radio signals be tracked, is it broadcast or 'tight beamed' can these messages be intercepted? Those kind of questions...

>> No.2865122

if anyone can supply pertinent info that I haven't asked about specifically too that would be nice...

>> No.2865135

Any transmission can be jammed / traced, that depends on relative intensity more than anything.

There is less static, because the digital signal is usually a choice between two extremes, allowing for better error correction/ noise rejection.

Any signal can be intercepted, but any signal can be encoded.

>> No.2865138

>Can it be jammed?
Yes.

>What are the differences between normal radio and digital?
There is no difference. They transmit information using radiowaves.

>Is there static?
Yes

>Can digital radio signals be tracked
Yes

>is it broadcast or 'tight beamed' can these messages be intercepted?
Yes

Radio is radio. As with all electromagnetic radiation, it can often be easiest to imagine it simply as invisible light.

>> No.2865150

o.p. here, so would a line of sight radio transmission be harder to intercept/trace than a wideband? (if those are even the right terms)

>> No.2865173

O.P. here again, P.S. - Als o how would you jam digital radio communications, and what would that sound like/do to the radios you were carrying? Would you be able to communicate succesfully on certain frequencies or even at all?

>> No.2865186

>>2865150

I'm not aware of any line-of-sight radios. Usually line-of-sight equipment uses much shorter waves like infrared or ultraviolet.

>> No.2865192

>>2865186

P here, it was either that or something about line of sight laser communications if that makes any sense. If I knew what I was talking about I wouldn't be asking would I?

>> No.2865195

>>2865150
Alright, imagine your directional radio as a flashlight.

The person you're shining it at is going to see your signal. Someone standing next to him will also see it.

If there's reflective material around, someone behind you might STILL see the signal.

>>2865173
Jamming is pretty simple. You just scream really loudly and drown out everything else. You can change frequencies, but any military jammer worth a damn is going to be screaming over everything.

>> No.2865243

>>2865195

M'kay, that answers that question. But this one kinda goes back to what you were just talking about...

I've been looking up technologies for my story and one thing we've already made are 'good bye guns' basically a microwave gun. It's supposed to heat up the water in your cells to a painful level, making you just want to crawl away and not fuck with anyone anymore (hence the good bye gun), all you'd really need to do to protect yourself is include an insert of something reflective right?

>> No.2865269

by "normal" radio you probably mean analog? Digital signals are more resistant to noise than analog signals. Plus digital modulation schemes can be implemented with code rather than expensive analog circuits. Really this is a very broad question and I recommend you take a course or two on communications.

>> No.2865279

Digital radio can be jammed, but unless you have more advanced equipment than a white noise generator it's more difficult to do so: static just gets ignored anyway.
Messages can be intercepted but they're always* encrypted by the radios themselves, so it's not normally a problem when they are. Generally, the biggest risk is that the enemy will be able to track you down via triangulation, but there are very few situations in which that is feasible

* The USAF got in a load of trouble a while back for using UAVs and not encrypting their communications, so it was possible for anyone listening in to track them. It turned out that people had indeed been doing so

>> No.2865280

>>2865269

Heh, as much as that would be a good idea, I wouldn't have the time. I want ym story to be realistic but considering how many subjects I'm going to be covering, both combat and not, in my story I'd spend the rest of my life taking classes on everything from business to stealth combat tactics and beyond

>> No.2865292

>>2865243
>all you'd really need to do to protect yourself is include an insert of something reflective right?

Yes. Reflective to microwaves. Aluminum or Stainless Steel would work. You don't even have to wear it. Just get a large parabolic dish that you can hide behind, when someone shoots a microwave beam at you, you can reflect it back at them with the parabolic dish.