[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 46 KB, 490x310, universe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2863868 No.2863868 [Reply] [Original]

I don't claim to be religious or an atheist, I just want to know what /sci/ thinks.

Why do people find it so unbelievable that a "God" created the world. Science tells us that the Big Bang created the universe. What created the big bang? Even the big bang theorists say that the universe was a hot and dense state of expansion, but what caused that?

I, like most people here (I imagine), think that there will one day be a simple scientific answer to these questions, but for now, why do people dump on religion so much? Is saying God created the Universe really any more ridiculous than saying "something" created the Big Bang?

>> No.2863891

Yes because you're assuming something without evidence.

>> No.2863893
File: 152 KB, 612x359, athiests.1300212125810.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2863899

Because explaining something you don't know with whatever you feel like, in this case God, is not logical.

>> No.2863902

>>2863891
Just like the Big Bang, amirite?

>> No.2863908

>>2863868
It is, in fact, more ridiculous to posit that a deity with defined properties created the Universe than it is to simply say that "something" might have, because the former suggests you have access to information that allows you more specificity in your speculations than you actually have. You're really not in a position to make either the claim that "something could have created the Universe" or "something did and here are its properties", but the latter whisks specificity out of the air, which is intellectually dishonest.

In any case, the question itself of whether or not something created the Universe is meaningless until we've answered a question that should have come before; which is the question "is it a requirement that Universes be created in order to exist?".

You have observed the laws of cause-and-effect as defined within our Universe; and have said they were defined, or determined, at the Big Bang. You have said that time itself, so intricately linked to space, was created at the Big Bang also. I'm not sure if it's sensible to assume the laws of cause and effect as defined within our Universe -and created during the Big Bang- applied outside our Universe and before it.You're doing this by presupposing that the Universe is an effect requiring a cause itself. We can't be sure "outside" our Universe and "before" it are even meaningful ideas, since we've said that both space and time were created during the Big Bang and are quantities of our Universe itself. Without time, the idea of a cause preceding an effect is without merit.

Anyway, people are laughed at for believing in Gods for the same reason an adult would be laughed at (or felt sorry for) for believing in anything else for which there is absolutely no supporting evidence other than emotional frailty.

>> No.2863918
File: 175 KB, 500x486, this fucking image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2863902
Evidence is a key player here, try again.

>> No.2863920

>>2863868
They are attributing the cause to an entity that by its very nature cannot be proven to exist, and are 100% sure of this. Saying "it happened, we don't know what caused it, but we'd like to find out" is the honest truth. Saying "god did it" is a claim without any proof. There's a definite difference.

>> No.2863921

>>2863893
What the...
Source, pretty please?

>> No.2863932

>>2863921
Marvel Comics
Dark Reign: The List - Wolverine #1

>> No.2863933

There is no evidence for god
There is no need for gos
It's okay to say "i don't know (yet)" in science
Just because we don't know there is no need to start making up magical sky wizards.

Not science

>> No.2864204

>>2863868
Then where did god come from?

just cut the middle man and lets assume this all come to existence by accident

captacha: becomis intestinal