[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 98 KB, 400x600, Manhattan panorama.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2861372 No.2861372 [Reply] [Original]

What's your opinion on the rising rates of mental illness?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/17345/mental_illness_rising_rates_and_what.html

>> No.2861375

Suppose something has to replace religion for the masses.

>> No.2861383
File: 320 KB, 601x706, 1301091855960.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Higher public awareness leads to higher rates of diagnosis both false and accurate.

/thread

(My apologies for /threading my own post but shit son, it's true. )

>> No.2861389

There is no such thing as mental illness. It is only asn excuse for people who wish to avoid solving their own problems.

>> No.2861396

Bad economy and increasing debt leads to stress, manifesting itself in many flavors of 'mental illness'.

More people self-diagnose as a result of increased awareness of 'mental illnesses'.

Drug seekers and hypochrondriacs have a field day due to the aforementioned reasons.

>> No.2861402

>>2861389
Tell that to a kid who has 3 copies of chromosome 21

>> No.2861408

>>2861402

Then that is a genetic, not mental problem.

also

>implying that every depressed person is making it up

>> No.2861409

Mental illness is rare. And people today are forcefully and voluntarily being put on medications they dont need.

WIth that said, people who legitimately have mental illness definitely exist, and are not treated with respect.

I think there are modern causes, both physical and social that are driving people into "mental illness"

>> No.2861413

>>2861383

And to clarify,
by "public awareness" I mean both by an acceptance of mental illness (Mentally ill used to mean "Insane" which was a BAD thing. Now you can be like "Yeah, I have ADD" and no one thinks that you're weird.), and general public knowledge of these things thanks to higher flows of information (Internet, etc...) leading to self diagnosis and then subsequently to the unwitting imitation of a person who has the disease which can result in a diagnosis.

>> No.2861425

>>2861389
Why do people actually believe this.

>> No.2861427

>>2861389
>>2861408
You spend way too much time on /b/ and not enough time in the real world my friend.
You are either trolling or just flat out wrong.

>> No.2861430

>>2861408
Just because it is genetic does not mean that it doesn't cause a mental illness. That's like saying having allergies isn't a physical illness because it caused genetically.

>> No.2861436

>>2861430

yeap mental illness (in the 4 cases it actually exists in) is simply a sympton of physical retardation.

You dont get mental illness in the 3rd world.

>> No.2861441

>>2861425

Through errors in their thought process. It's similar to racism. Just because a percentage of a population, large or small, may fall into a category does not mean that the entire population does.
I know both people with fake illnesses and people with real ones.
A lot of aspergers and ADD diagnosi are false for example.

>> No.2861452

There is no such thing as physical illness. It is only asn excuse for people who wish to avoid solving their own problems.

>> No.2861444

>>2861436

Yes you do.
It's just not diagnosed.

>> No.2861460

I don't think mental illness is increasing, I think it's being diagnosed more often at the behest of the Big Pharm.

>> No.2861463

The underlying truth is that no human that has ever existed is rational. Niether has any been all knowing. Their for everyone on earth can claim to have a mental illness.

>> No.2861491

>>2861372
What's your opinion of the rising profitability of treating mental illness? What's your opinion of a society that largely no longer just kills people who are so sick they frighten it?
You have your answer(s).

>> No.2861540

>>2861441
I definitely think many children are wrongly diagnosed with these two.

oh your kids get all excited like a bunch of children over small things that you don't get, no it can't be just simply because they are kids, lets say they have ADD.

I also know a few people who say they have aspergers so they don't have to work and can be rude to people when they want, yet they are absolutely nothing like one of my friends who actually has it, who trys really hard to manage it.

>> No.2861578

Ive heard it said that godels incompleteness theorem means that nobody can prove they are sane

>> No.2861591

I saw a Cracked article that had a good point. Kids in the same year of school can be months apart in age, or even a year. And since kids grow so quickly, someone who's a year behind another might seem much dumber by comparison, when really they're just not as old.

>> No.2861796

More things are being named as diseases, to allow drugs to be made to treat them, and then, a few years later, when it turns out aforementioned drug actually fucks you up/kills you, the lawfirms move in and put a commercial out saying, "If you or a loved one has taken fuxurazz and suffered any of the following:
:( :X :O Then you may be entitled to compensation."
Everyone makes money.

>> No.2861841

>>2861796
I think I've suffered :X

>> No.2862048

If you fall out of line from "Normal" then you get a pill until you are "Normal" again. The pill will hopefully devoid you of all human emotions so you don't mess up the perfect system we have.

>> No.2862131

>>2861372
> What's your opinion on the rising rates of mental illness?
Religion's actually declining, finally. Nothing to worry about.

>> No.2862163

>>2861591
>Cracked article
Hahaha, haha haha.

>> No.2862171
File: 458 KB, 600x600, 1284843156561.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2862131
> he still cares what other people believe

>> No.2862178

I was actually pondering that recently.

My answer was flush toilets.

Want me to explain, or do you got this from here?

>> No.2862177

>>2862171

>Implying what people believe has no impact on everyone else.

>> No.2862213

>>2862178
I have my own offshoot theory without hearing yours:
because people don't crouch all the way down like they would naturally, they don't get all the crap out, therefore have more crap accumulating in their bloodstream.
This makes them crazy because everyone has shit particles flowing up in their brain
That's why I actually crouch ontop of the tank, upper deck the tank, then bounce yo
but I'm not crazy, cuz I always get all the poop out dawg

>> No.2862219

>>2862213
I enjoyed your post. I'll admit my theory isn't as colourful as yours. I'll have to defer to your authority.

>> No.2862222

>>2862213

Holy shit I laughed hard.

>> No.2862247

>>2862213
>>2862222
>>2862219

you guys are fucking 17.

go to /b/ until you lose some more humanity.

>> No.2862255

>>2862219
I'm only half kidding really
I think that modern shitters are not designed right, and therefore make it difficult to really fully duke it out.
There's always that urban myth that "The Duke" John Wayne had like 60 lbs of shit all impacted up in his colon after he died.
I'm sure that's just overplaying it a bit, but probably not far off from your basic fatgut american.

mark my words, the man who invents a better shitter will be hailed as a world savior, and everlasting genius

>> No.2862265

>>2862247
this guy is totally from the current toilet industry, trying to derail the thread. don't let it happen. this is the real conspuracy. I should ask /x/

>> No.2862275

i guess people have just gotten a lot better at diagnosing it.

>> No.2862288

>the rising rates of mental illness?
There are a lot more Jevvs than there used to be.

>> No.2862297

Rising rates of mental illness correlate with rising sentiments of cynicism and people believing that they are more qualified than doctors to diagnose mental illnesses. This effect is seen most prominently on 4chan.

>> No.2862354

teachers have a big part to play in it i imagine, about 9 years ago i was doing pretty shitty in school anyway teacher said i had dyslexia then my parents started saying assburgers this happend to like 5 others in my class

>> No.2862369

Idiocracy is here.

>> No.2862372

>implying we were ever sane to begin with

>> No.2862406

Probably has to do with the higher rate of people being diagnosed and seen by professionals, thus getting the statistics going up. There isn't actually more mental illness, it's just more awareness.

>> No.2862417
File: 18 KB, 300x284, joker1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Several reason, actually.

There is an increasing trend to label atypical mental states diseases than there used to be. In the past, someone might simply be odd or eccentric, but now they have an illness.

More legitimately crazy people are getting diagnosed as access to psychiatric care becomes more widely available to lower income people.

The world offers more stresses on a person's mental health than it did in the past. Faster pace of life, longer work hours, greater connectivity/access to information, and a general societal feeling of alienation all contribute to pushing borderline individuals into madness.

>> No.2862423

Probably also has to do with changing times. Back in the day, your dumbass either worked like mad for food or starved. We now have the time to think and worry about shit.

>> No.2862433

The older people get, the more dementia related illnesses will occur. Alzheimer, Parkinsons, etc.

>> No.2862436

>>2862423
This.

The existence of the middle class practically opens the door to mass insanity. The poor work too hard and too long to contemplate their state of mind. The rich live too easy a life to be driven mad. But the middle class have enough free time to sit and think about just how shitty and precarious their position in life really is.

>> No.2862439

This is what you get for rejecting social Darwinism and eugenics.

>> No.2862446

like any of you faggots would fucking know
fuck off and I hate anyone who posts in this thread saying mental illness isn't real
drink everything under your sink right now
yeah, i mad

>> No.2862459
File: 10 KB, 185x272, why you mad hitler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2862446
>yeah, i mad
Mad, you say?

Why, you fit right in ITT! Stay where you are and the nice men in white lab coats will take you to a happy place far from all your troubles!

>> No.2862479

Actually been reading a book on the social history of madness. In the past, the only people who were put into asylums were seriously fucked in the head. Schizophrenics, hysterics, general good ol fashioned insanity, "melancholy".

Nowadays people seek out help for the slightest of mental booboos. And of course, you see what you want to, so go to a psychologist saying such and such and they'll find something wrong with you. Whambam, thank you ma'am, you officially have a mental illness. Whats hard about this to understand? Mental health is less stigmatized and more widely available and known about, so more people go and more people are diagnosed, and as the article said, theres a shit ton more of mental illnesses then there were in the past.

>> No.2862511

>>2862423

Almost this, but we (in the west) have no concept of what real problems are. We have never starved, truly suffered at the hands of arbitrary violence, many have never witnessed death, much less had a close brush with it.

We get wrapped up in so much meaningless shit and don't have the perspective to say, "well overall I'm in pretty good shape right now."

>> No.2862604

Diet of the mother during pregnancy, perhaps aspertame has this effect