[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 114 KB, 1047x1176, mars.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2840725 No.2840725 [Reply] [Original]

It's 12:20 here, I just woke up and I want to share my seemingly profound but probably obvious/retarded/nonsensical idea.

The memory works in terms of connections between things, and creativity happens when different patterns of connections are made. If one wishes to create software to act as an as seamless as possible memory aid it needs to have rapid search and to be connected in a web of related information. Wikipedia works well because of all the links throughout the articles but is not ideal.

If one wants to study a novel to do a literature essay they write down lists of events and concepts and motifs and characters and settings and cuts them out and moves them around and draws lines between them. The ones with the most connections to other things are the most important and the least connections are the least important. It needs to be a web, though, not just something that branches out.

Working on efficient interfaces for this is important. It needs to be more malleable and flexible than paper, but it needs to be done with the hands and the voice. A large touch-screen wall, with voice recognition software, would be ideal. Something like that would allow efficient communication and collaboration also, with people able to draw connections between their own ideas and the ideas of others.

Pic stolen from wikipedia, and I fear I sound like timecube guy now.

>> No.2840736

2d language

>> No.2840750

>>2840736
Essentially, yes. After writing this I remembered Azad from Iain M. Banks' novel Player of Games. It's not really the same thing, but it's a form of communication that had the potential to be far superior to what we have.

It's a shame conscious thought is only one dimensional.

>> No.2840760

lolwut?

>> No.2840761

You mean arranging thoughts on paper the same way neurons are connected to each other in the brain. Who'da thunk it?

>> No.2840779

>>2840761
I was thinking digitally, but yeah. It's like a fractal, the patterns are repeated at different levels. There's the neurons connected to each other, and then the ideas, and then the people. I'm thinking of ways to communicate that preserve all the information present.

>> No.2840787

OP again, this makes no sense to me now. I'm going to bed, see if you can figure out what the hell I meant.

>> No.2840900

apart from 2d you could mean non-sequential. in 1d language, there are 'imaginary arrows' linking each word to the next. with a 2d language you couldn't rely on this implicit rule and would have to make sequential relations explicit.

>> No.2840911

Sorry in advance if I sound like a pretentious hipster but I think you're describing a spider diagram and "brainstorming", did that in middle school, wasn't useful until years later.

>> No.2842000

>>2840911
I'm back, when we did those they only branched out, so you couldn't figure out the value of an idea by the connections it had to other ideas.

What I mean is basically a network, entirely decentralised, where all the ideas are connected to relevant ones and one can evaluate the relevance of an idea by the number and strength of the connections it has.