[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 155 KB, 1566x1018, fixed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2839045 No.2839045 [Reply] [Original]

No questions.

>> No.2839059

>teaching ranked higher than glorious aerospace engineering
>mfw this is actually the double nigger assrape edition

>> No.2839061

nope, im sure we can all agree that op is a fag

>> No.2839067

Neuroscience? HAH.

Without math, physics wouldn't be here,without physics, chemistry wouldn't be here, without chemistry, biology wouldn't be here, without biology, neuroscience is garbage.

"Ain't havin no mothafuckin neuroscientists on this mothafuckin planet"
Dr Samuel L Jackson

>> No.2839069

>God tier: My major and majors I like
>Shit tier: Majors I don't like

Opinions. Not buttmad or anything, my major is in the god tier list here, but these threads are pointless.

One thing /sci/ can agree on, however:
>God tier: Math / Science
>Shit tier: Liberal arts
>Gay tier: Engineering

>> No.2839072

>Teaching above anything.
>Psychology top tier.
NICE TRY OP.

>> No.2839076

>sociology: Mid tier

Also
inb4 9001 responses.

>> No.2839083

OP here. I must note that these are ordered according to the applicability of human understanding of the Universe. Teaching is above aerospace fagineering because you can't learn aerospace engineering without being taught it. You mad?

>> No.2839087

>>2839045
YESSSSSSSSS!!!
I'm a chemistry/computer science major.

>> No.2839092

>>2839083

Aspergers boy, form a comprehensive sentence.

>> No.2839093

>>2839067
hahano

>> No.2839096

>>2839067
True, my art teacher was a neuroscience major.

>> No.2839105

>God Tier: Philosophy

laughingwhores.jpg

>> No.2839106

>>2839087
Chemistry master race reporting in....Although Chem-E should be God tier, since even i'll admit its harder than our major.

>> No.2839125

had to fix this one to, also engineering got lowered a tier since the last thread

>> No.2839132
File: 746 KB, 1566x1018, fixed.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2839125
forgot the img, i knew i shouldnt have been an engineer

>> No.2839133

>Aerospace Engineering Top Tier
>Mechanical Engineering Low Tier
>implying aero isn't a specialized subfield of mech
>implying a mechanical engineer can't do everything an aerospace engineer does and then some
>implying electrical engineering isn't better than both of those anyway
>implying i have been megatrolled

>> No.2839148

I know this is the wrong place to make this argument
but without the study of literature, history, and even art we can't really hold back the stem of ignorance.
Science and Math are of course god like but we need to study our history and understand one another so these thing are not wielded simply to cause horrible crimes against humanity.
Science and Math are a tool...understand people and you still hold the power.

>> No.2839149

What I'm studying: God tier
What you're studying: shit tier

>> No.2839151

>>2839069
I'll bite.

Why would you place Liberal Arts in "shit" tier? Liberal Arts include the goddamn loli you come to 4chan to fap to, and all the weird shit you see in /d/ that you also arouse yourself with. Fucking faggot.

Anyone who deems any type of art as "shit" is the biggest douchebag fag that has ever walked on Earth.

>> No.2839155

Neuroscience/CompSci major
I'm ok with this

>> No.2839181
File: 15 KB, 250x250, 1301481653298.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw philosophy and sociology is anything but shit tier

>> No.2839192
File: 24 KB, 500x375, artofpretendingtobeart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2839151
Modern artists who monopolise academia and funding for galleries are no different from victorian elitists whom expressionists rebelled against, well over a century ago now.

They are not shocking or edgy anymore, if they wanted to be shocking they'd show an exhibition of negro caricatures and fascist propoganda, they just declare that they are somehow more enlightened than everyone else because of their subjective tastes.

>> No.2839194
File: 25 KB, 338x277, 1296262898392.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2839151

enjoy your student debt with no marketable job skills...well...unless you want to teach something in liberal arts.

AT LEAST YOU GUYS MAKE GREAT STARBUCK'S WORKERS!

>> No.2839198
File: 261 KB, 629x900, pavelkuchinsky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2839151
Meanwhile people with actual talent who's work surpasses petty subjective tastes are considered a threat and obscured and ignored.

>> No.2839199

>>2839181

Do you not understand philosophy? Pretty much all of the most brilliant thinkers of the past were scientists AND philosophers. That /sci/ doesnt understand the beauty and artistry of philosophy shows you for the aspies you really are

Think of it as this giant branching tree. This huge argument throughout the ages, full of twists of thought and weird propositions. Thats what it is, its bearing on reality is incidental at best. But thats the beauty of it.

As for sociology, do you not see how studying the behavior of people as a group pertains to world affairs? economics? God you're fucking stupid.

>> No.2839212
File: 19 KB, 300x300, 1296130580535.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>My face when business majors boss all you people around while profiting all your hard work and creativity.

>> No.2839220

>>2839199

were scientists first, and then they became old and wise and derived philosophy from science.

You can be a philosopher after you win your first Noble Prize, we will stop giving you shit for it.

>> No.2839225

The problem with sociologists aren't the implications - but how they get their data. They usually get it in the least trustworthy method possible aside from making it up on the spot, and then they attribute the data to the craziest shit you'll see.

And nothing freaking dies in that field (or psychology for that matter). They still freaking talk about the Id, ego, and superego as valid theories. Do you see physicists talking about Aristotle's views? Only to say "they actually used to believe this crap!"

>> No.2839228

>>2839199
>read irrelevant literature written by people who have been dead for centuries
>ask the most obnoxious questions you can think of
>discuss the old literature and douchey questions without ever referring to specifics but make sure to throw in buzzwords and drop names at every opportunity
congratulations, you have just earned your philosophy degree

>> No.2839229

>>2839220

nononono.jpg

science is derived from philosophy you fucking aspie

do you know 'Science' courses used to be called 'natural philosophy'

Science is an offshoot of the giant branching tree i mentioned, whos foundational principles are determinism and empiricism. Sometimes i feel like im bashing my head against a wall when talking to you autists.

>> No.2839230
File: 173 KB, 485x349, umad.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2839212

>mfw i'm alpha and would tell him to lick my sweaty sack

>> No.2839231

>>2839199

Uni's are getting rid of their Philosophy departments. And economics is much too young of a science for /sci/ to appreciate.

>> No.2839233
File: 27 KB, 298x372, 1301867641594.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2839199

people who are philosophers have been important throughout history, sure. that doesn't mean majoring in it is anything other than a steaming pile of bullshit.

on the surface, studying how groups of humans interact is a useful thing, and in some cases it can be. when that cover is used to advance preconceived agendas any serious scientific benefit is lost.

the problem isn't that the idea of these fields is bad in terms of the dictionary definition, but that devoting your college career to them is a total waste of time and money. i am sorry if you are so asspained that hearing this hurts your feelings.

>> No.2839237
File: 32 KB, 500x377, 1294531824138.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2839230

Have fun flipping burgers.

>> No.2839242

>>2839225
I'd say more than the way they get their data, the issue with sociology is that the overwhelming majority of studies and research is done with an agenda rather than in neutral inquiry.

>> No.2839247

>>2839228

depends on the rigor of your philosophy department. I'm not saying most colleges do it correctly. However it can be extremely rigorous when you get into the finer points of logic.

Philosophy pertains to the most basic questions. Questions pertaining to our legal system, the foundations of our government, even the ethics of science.

Its beyond relevant. Without philosophers we'd still be living in some sort of primitive anarchistic society where i could bash your brains out with a rock for typing the bullshit you just did

>> No.2839252

>>2839237

Hahahahaha oh you!

The lack of integrity you have allows you to be enslaved by a master.

Fucking betas.

>> No.2839260

As someone who loves philosophy, it shouldn't be a major. Philosophy is something you minor in at most, or study/read/ponder/write on your own time. You don't major in philosophy to become a philosopher, you major in philosophy to dick around and get good grades in undergrad before you go to law school.

>> No.2839264

>>2839231

where? what university is removing its philosophy department? Because none that i can think of dipshit.

>>2839233
Once again it depends on the rigor of your philosophy department's program. Its beyond relevant when we're discussing medical ethics, law, government.

>devoting your college career to them is a total waste of time and money

Nope.jpg

thats just blatantly false.
>>2839242
Thats valid, but a lot of scientific studies are done with a bullshit agenda too. You have to look into stuff like that

>> No.2839265

>>2839192
racism isn't the only way to be offensive. and more importantly, offensiveness isn't the only way to provoke a emotional response, or even just a negative one.

>> No.2839266
File: 10 KB, 210x251, 1300429327388.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2839252

Have fun starving to death.

>> No.2839276

>>2839247
I'm not saying philosophy is irrelevant, I'm saying majoring in philosophy is an absolute waste of time. If you're interested in reading about philosophy and you can come up with original thought processes based on it, more power to you. But the fact is, there are enough people in the world who think their opinions are worth something that it's extremely unlikely that you, as a philosophy major, will ever contribute anything relevant to society, and honestly, doing background philosophy reading on your own and majoring in something that actually takes critical thinking instead of just regurgitating bullshit is more likely to provide a foundation to contribute to the world through philosophy than wasting four years of your life getting a degree in it.

>> No.2839277

>>2839260

If you want to become a lawyer, go into government, writer, comedian (carlin mother fucker)

or business even

philosophy major

>> No.2839279

>>2839220

>were scientists first, and then they became old and wise and derived philosophy from science.

Trolls, trolls everywhere.

Philosophy trolls, don't feed them, anyone of any value knows philosophy is of the utmost importance.

>> No.2839280

how do you quote people btw?

Anyways, i agree that sociologists generally have an agenda, but that shouldn't matter if they did their research right.

Scientists have agenda's all the time, but then the data laughs in their faces. The best scientists say "holy shit, that's cool!"

>> No.2839287

>>2839264

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10052/1037530-454.stm?cmpid=MOSTEMAILEDBOX

>> No.2839288

>>2839133

>Implying ME's know dick about advanced fluid mechanics
>Implying AE's don't do "everything ME's do and then some" to design aircraft and spacecraft, the most complex mechanical systems built by man

It's okay to be inferior. Everyone has their place.

>> No.2839290

>>2839276
.... unless you want to go to law school. Or eventually work in government. Or you have a lot of money. OR YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE TOPIC.

Your post boils down to

>hurr durr, i dont like philosophy, no one should major in it everyone should major in science

not everyone has the same priorities or goals as you.

>> No.2839312

>>2839287

>one school.

and they're just considering it, along with a host of other majors. If they dont have a lot of people at that college majoring in those things it would make sense to cut it. Your post is birds.

To quote the article

>The system has identified scores of degree programs that have low enrollments on individual campuses, and therefore, may be ripe for modification, consolidation with other programs -- or, in extreme cases, elimination.

State System data circulating among faculty indicate as many as 250 degree programs have been singled out for special scrutiny. Targeted programs on individual campuses run the gamut, from degrees within geography and mass communication, to others in physics, economics and math.

>others in physics, economics and math.

now gtfo you fucking MORON

>> No.2839314

Approved.

Shame I have to do business too if I want to stay in an innovative job.

>> No.2839317

>>2839264
Oh fuck you for believing for a second that philosophy is at all relevant to government. Economics and sociology are relevant to government. History is relevant to government. Hell, fucking medicine and engineering are somewhat relevant to government. What some 300-year-old dead Christian monarchist thought about society is not fucking relevant to government. The entire fucking problem with the government is that the fuckups in charge think inane philosophical bullshit is more important than economics and sociology and history.

>> No.2839321

Sociology major here.

I generally don't give a fuck about the research side of soc because for now its pretty bullshit, though it does involve a fuckton of statistics. Actually screw that, the research side is pretty interesting as well, most people just see sociology as lowly because that's what other people told them. I do enjoy the theory though. Over-generalizations everywhere, and it's goddamn beautiful.

>mfw when I just want to think and write for a living but I'm gonna end up working a shitty office job...bleh

>> No.2839326
File: 53 KB, 300x300, Everyones_getting_mad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT: Buttmad philosophers

>> No.2839331

>>2839317
This man is no philosopher king.

>> No.2839341

>>2839288
I'm not sure what shit school you went to, but in our ME department there are courses offered in CFD and microfluidics, as well as FEA methods, robust control theory, and various other courses also offered in AE. The main difference in the two is application.

Also,
>implying aircraft and spacecraft are designed by teams exclusively composed of AEs
I always assumed the people who thought Aero was way superior to Mech were just ignorant to what students of both disciplines learn/are capable of, but I guess some of you Aero folks are just retarded with an overinflated sense of self importance. You're not special.

>> No.2839346

>>2839280

that's how it would work if sociology was subjected to the same rigors that any real science field was, but unfortunately that is not the case.

>>2839279
keep telling yourself that bro. it's unfortunate that philosophers simply do not add value to present day life. there are exceptional artists, scientists, politicians, etc whose philosophies are worthwhile and can move our understanding forward, but very few of those people get to that point by just studying philosophy.

you wasted your time and money in college, and i am legitimately sorry for you.

>> No.2839348

>>2839290
If you want to go to law school, you're better served by majoring in something that actually promotes intelligence and critical thinking or in something with implications in the law than in philosophy.

If you want to work in government, you're probably better off getting a fucking language major than philosophy, and you'd be much better served studying something like international relations or, I don't know, fucking public policy.

But yeah, if you have the money to throw at a university to get a meaningless scrap of paper saying you know about philosophy rather than just reading and learning about it on your own, go for it, just don't pretend there's any value in it.

>> No.2839350

>>2839317

No the problem is that the fuckups on top are NOT motivated by philosophical principles but instead are motivated by money. Which is the root of all evil. Our entire legal system is built on philosophical concepts. You think the founding fathers were not well versed in philosophy? You think this didnt motivate them?

You are dumb kid.

Most of the argument seems to stem from you aspies not understanding philosophy, the breadth of the subject, and what studying it can do for you. This isnt surprising, you're all aspies and the concepts involved in philosophy are difficult for you to wrap your heads around. Its hard for you to embrace hypothetical premises just for the sake of argument and the mental stretching thats involved with it.

meh, you're all menials. Which is ok, do your science work. put chemical A into tube C, observe the reaction.

>> No.2839357
File: 11 KB, 327x388, 379.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Genetic Engineering.

>mfw it's my job to make religionfags buttmad because i'm 'playing god'

>> No.2839364

>>2839321

when such a large proportion of the peer reviewed studies in your field are done with the obvious goal of reinforcing preconceived notions, it should come as no surprise that most people dismiss the field as a serious science out of hand.

>> No.2839373
File: 46 KB, 330x348, 253523588900.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2839317

The problem with government is that philosophy isn't relevant. If it was relevant to government, we wouldn't have many of the issues we have today.

The problem is that the people in charge think economics and history is more important than ethics/rationality and logic.

Do you actually think someone concerned with ethics and rationality would bomb countries for oil? Stay in school buddy.

You have it all wrong lol...

I major in ethics, purely in hope that maybe i can help improve the world. I don't think having such a motive directly causes problems...
Philosophy is the foundations of almost everything, things /sci/ loves and hates, from; mathematics, science (physics [basically the new metaphysics]), religion, politics etc

>> No.2839375
File: 205 KB, 1024x768, face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

People commonly describe discoverers in antiquity as being scientists, but this is misleading. The scientific method and the modern discipline incorporating it has existed for less than 200 years. There have been many great minds before that time, but they practiced older disciplines for acquiring knowledge and were not actually scientists.

The great philosophers of the past were talented and accumulated a lifetime of experience and knowledge, gifting them with great insight despite how little evidence was available to them. Their philosophies were a product of their wisdom, and not the other way around. Some kids pursuing a degree in philosophy have little to nothing in common with these people. If anything they miss the point entirely.

>> No.2839386
File: 24 KB, 228x342, 1300424379222.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2839350

>He thinks philosophy is more difficult than ANY hard science

>> No.2839388
File: 41 KB, 409x600, 1297224729583.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2839350

>ad hominems, appeals to authority, no sound arguments, facts, data, examples, or even a coherent argument.

sure is philosophy major in here

>> No.2839400
File: 55 KB, 208x296, Capture9.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

At first I was "Oh great, another Science Tier thread"
>sees philosophy in God Tier

Hmmm, not bad sir, not bad.

>> No.2839408

Teaching sucks
Teachers get shitty pay to deal with a bunch of brats
There is a reason why people are not majoring in it as much anymore

>> No.2839415

>>2839231
Troll
All of academia is overseen by philosophers

>> No.2839423

>>2839415

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10052/1037530-454.stm?cmpid=MOSTEMAILEDBOX

>> No.2839433

>>2839350
It's the general fixation of most members of the government with bullshit and deception rather than with efficient governance that allows greed to thrive, rather than being stamped out as obvious inefficiency.

I never in any way denigrated the founding fathers. Of course being versed in philosophy is a good thing. It's when you study philosophy and remain ignorant to other, more practical fields, such as getting a philosophy major in college, that the value of your opinions decreases significantly.

Our legal system spends billions of dollars a year prosecuting people for using drugs that harm no one but themselves, and even that not always. But I never disputed the value of the philosophical basis for our legal system, it's just the absolute lack of any relationship between you having a philosophy major and legal philosophy forming the basis for a code of laws that is now much more sophisticated than simple philosophy that I was concerned with.

>ad hom ad hom ad hom
Yep, u mad. Also stop trying to use the strawman that I'm attacking philosophy in general as opposed to majoring in philosophy as an undergraduate student, it makes you look stupid.

Also,
>mfw im an econ/math major going to grad school for mathematical finance and i will be able to buy you in 10 years

>> No.2839437

>>2839423

>one school.

and they're just considering it, along with a host of other majors. If they dont have a lot of people at that college majoring in those things it would make sense to cut it. Your post is birds.

To quote the article

>The system has identified scores of degree programs that have low enrollments on individual campuses, and therefore, may be ripe for modification, consolidation with other programs -- or, in extreme cases, elimination.

State System data circulating among faculty indicate as many as 250 degree programs have been singled out for special scrutiny. Targeted programs on individual campuses run the gamut, from degrees within geography and mass communication, to others in physics, economics and math.

>others in physics, economics and math.

now gtfo you fucking MORON

>> No.2839444

>>2839437
http://thenhier.ca/en/node/712

>> No.2839446

>>2839423
wow...
just wow
You guys do realize Phd stands for Doctorate in Philosophy right?

>> No.2839447

>>2839341
So what's offered for ME's that AE's don't learn?

You're the one who began with the douchey post claiming ME's were superior. The fact is that both learn the exact same skillset and simply apply them differently.

It just happens that the things we do are way more awesome. Deal with it.

See attached photo for proof of aforementioned awesomeness. Enjoy your extra year of heat transfer classes, faggot

>> No.2839451
File: 27 KB, 450x225, F-22-Flyby.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2839447
Forgot mah baller photo depicting aeronautical superiority

>> No.2839453

>>2839446

http://stormbreaking.blogspot.com/2011/03/save-philosophy-at-keele.html

>> No.2839456

>>2839423
Well it seems that academia has too been corrupted by greed...
These are some terrible times we're living in

>> No.2839507

>>2839451
aero? really?

>> No.2839514

>>2839456

how dare people be expected to produce meaningful work when tens (or hundreds) of thousands of dollars are invested in their education.

>> No.2839541
File: 351 KB, 1400x1020, c-tyrannosaurs-in-f-14s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2839507
Problem?

>> No.2839578 [DELETED] 

>hurr I'm special and people should subsidize my art/literature/music even though I don't have any real talent
This is the real world, many people would chop off one of their arms just to leave their tyrannical 3rd world country and become a university student in the US, by taking a course that is not economically productive which would indirectly improve the material wealth of everyone else (especially science/tech related fields since technology is so essential to economic development) you are not being an edgy hipster sticking it to the man, you are essentially pissing over the faces of millions of poor people across the world.

>> No.2839590

>hurr I'm special and people should subsidize my art/literature/music even though I don't have any real talent
This is the real world, many people would chop off one of their arms just to leave their tyrannical 3rd world country and become a university student in the US, by taking a course that is not economically productive you are not being an edgy hipster sticking it to the man, you are essentially pissing over the faces of millions of poor people across the world.

>> No.2839605
File: 168 KB, 600x810, Bertrand_Russell_019.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw in the future, your helper robot's software was developed by a philosopher, and the body was created by an engineer

>> No.2840867
File: 85 KB, 500x1319, 1298599993388.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2839605

>mfw in the future, your helper robot's software was developed by a philosopher, and the body was created by an engineer

you realize that will not be a philosopher who majored in philosophy, right? it will be someone who studied something useful like computer/electrical engineering, comp sci, etc.

that's where you kids are going so wrong- no one is claiming thinking about how the universe/world works is not important, simply that people smart enough to move our understanding forward in that area are going to be doing other useful things as well because they have the talent for it and don't want to be a waste of space.

>> No.2840880

So biomedical engineering is low tier?

>> No.2840892

>teaching
>not shit tier

>> No.2840897

>>2839590

>claim that certain degrees don't give you skills
>my degree gets me to build F-22s!

You lot are in for a real shock when you find out the realities of employment. All the real physical work is done by the apprentices and guys with actual practical experience.

No one trusts fresh graduates with anything. You're sat in the back room, filing paper and doing phone calls. They don't build, produce or engineer anything - regardless of what little piece of paper they hold. By the time they've managed to figure out what the company actually does, they're eternally doomed in middle management and will justify their 65 hour week by saying "MAN I GET SO MUCH MONEY". Then the budding Mechanical Engineer (In name only, of course. Who gets their hands dirty these days?) will tell his children (if he finds someone ugly enough to marry his effeminate self) to do the same course as he did, because it's the only one worth doing!

Look at Brunel, for example. Greatest Engineer of all time and no degree. Just hard work. Same with Bill Gates. And Alan Sugar. And practically every other world leading industrialist in history has seen degree programs for the sham they are and substituted it for hard work.

disgruntled mechanical engineer here. realised I wasted 4 years doing theory when I could have spent more years actually doing work.

>> No.2840921

>>2840867
The philosopher will be the revered and respected scientist, while the engineers are merely translators, translating the genius and vision of the philosopher king into clockwork.

face

>> No.2840928

>>2840897
There are many succesful university graduates, you have made an important point though, succesful university graduates tend to work hard straight after university and keep working hard, doing things that most people would consider a waste of time because of the low chances of success and failing but learning as they do so until eventually they do find that one thing that makes them successful, then they continue searching to build upon their success.

>> No.2840931

ITT people hating things they don't understand

>> No.2840953

>>2840867
Philosophy is not "blah blah soul blah blah". Even though a lot of new-age bullshitters will have you believe that.
Most philosophy is about logics, meta-logics and all kinds of stuff you need for AI.

>> No.2840965

>philosophy god tier
>theology shit tier
wut?

>> No.2840971

>>2840965
Philosophy is absolutely not equal to theology. Not even related. With the possible exception of ethics, at which we can agree, the theologists aren't that good at.

>> No.2840981

>Literature
ok wtfisthisshit.jpg
someone only read John Grisham pulp fiction and Robert Frost poetry when they were in school.
The Jungle motherfucker, have you heard of it?
Or Atlas Shrugged, or The Communist Manifesto, or Plato's Republic, or Aristotle's Treastise. Or fuck, pretty much ANYTHING by Charles Dickens, John Steinbeck, and a million other authors.

take that shit to /lit/ and I GUARANTEE they will eat you alive. Also history should be bro tier.
sage because OP is a faggot

>> No.2840983

philosophy?

I stopped reading after that

>> No.2841058

>>2840880
It's a troll. Hence why this thread now has 90+ replies.

>> No.2841060

>>2840921
>>2840953

and you guys still aren't acknowledging that the 'philosopher' who writes those rules will be someone with other useful skills that brings him into the project.

they aren't going to say, "OH SHIT WE NEED SOMEONE TO WRITE THIS PROGRAM, QUICK CALL A PHILOSOPHER!"

it's likely going to be the fact that one of the leaders on the project could be considered a philosopher by his method of thinking.

>> No.2841099

Philosophy concerns itself with everything.

You guys seem to associate philosophy with those that go blah blah exitence, God and all that crap, but that just demonstrates that you all are ignorant american highschoolers.

I guess I was expecting too much from you lot. Just looked through the threads here and you're all retards.

>> No.2841137
File: 33 KB, 360x316, 1299843073379.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2841099
>hey quit generalizing about my field of study.

>generalize about everyone who disagrees that i am awesome

>> No.2841157

architecture where>?

>> No.2841162

>No Geology in God Tier.
Nice try,

>> No.2841167

>>2841137

It isn't actually my field of study, but rather as philosophy lies at the heart of all problems one may encounter, to study it to some degree is essential for any person who considers himself as being a thinker.

To question, to seek to solve problems, is to philosophise. To argue, to reason, to deduce is to philosophise. Science, maths, everything you consider to be awesome, was founded upon philosophy.

Philosophy refers to the very act of considering, and concerns itself with the derivation of the best way to consider - it is where all fields of thought originated from.

You guys are all Americans though, so you probably can't fathom that there are things outside your world view.

Science > Philosophy lulz.

Science is a subset of Philosophy you fools!

>> No.2841170

>>2839590
The political science theories i'll make in the future will help spread democracy in the third world. U mad?

>> No.2841180

>>2840867
That image. I lol'd majorly.

>> No.2841222

>>2841167
I have yet to get into a debate with a philosopher and come back smarter for the opinion.

Sure, philosophy is greater than science - in the same way that the on-off switch is greater than a computer. Yes, computers are just a bunch of on-off switches, but I'm still not going to value the programming opinion of a guy that majored in on-off switches.

>> No.2841240

Academic analytic philosophy is nothing like what the general public, and /sci/ in general, thinks it is. At its core it's a lot more concerned with the epistemological and theoretical foundations of both the formal and natural sciences, logic and metamathematics than the metaphysical/ethical/aesthetics/theological/existentialist thought people most often associate it with. It is a very very broad field, whether majoring in philosophy is a waste of time by /sci/'s standards depends entirely on the sort of philosophy done.

>> No.2841241
File: 165 KB, 600x598, 1301329152833.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2841167

i have been samefagging in this thread a bit, and said repeatedly that the study of philosophy is good- learning how to think more effectively and logically is great.

making that the entire scope of your studies, wasting 4+ years of your life and upwards of $75k is totally retarded on many levels. hence, putting it on 'god tier' ahead of so many other, much more useful, fields of study is silly.

>You guys are all Americans though, so you probably can't fathom that there are things outside your world view.

more generalizations, sweet.

>> No.2841255

>mechanical engineering is low tier
more like mechanical engineering is bro tier amirite

>> No.2841277

>>2841222
>>2841241

This entire debate on what is God Tier is founded upon a few questions that need to first be answered before any consistent reasoning can be done.

The most central of which being: What is the stick that we are measuring these separate fields against?

You two are merely considering what philosophy is inductively - what philosophy has appeared to you two.

And then measuring it against the practical use of the philosophy that you have encountered.

That is surely arrogant is it not? Further, it is surely wrong if you are willing to accept what philosophy truly is.

Philosophy has shaped our lives more then we could ever come to imagine. Surely it is the most practical 'subject'?

>> No.2841310

>>2841157
faggot tier, architects are bitches. probably the shittiest degree one could ever choose

>> No.2841423

>>2841277

>Philosophy has shaped our lives more then we could ever come to imagine. Surely it is the most practical 'subject'?

i am not debating that

i am debating the usefulness of devoting 4 years of your life to it and getting a degree that doesn't further your career at all unless you aspire to be a philosophy professor.

i am debating the added value to society of the average philosophy student to the average doctor/engineer/scientist.

>> No.2841438

>>2841423

If that is your contention, then I agree with that contention.

>> No.2841448

>>2841277
>You two are merely considering what philosophy is >inductively - what philosophy has appeared to you two.
>And then measuring it against the practical use of the philosophy that you have encountered.
>That is surely arrogant is it not? Further, it is surely wrong if you are willing to accept what philosophy truly is.
So... you'd rather us measure philosophy by what we haven't experienced, and then compare that to nothing? That seems a silly measurement.

>Philosophy has shaped our lives more then we could ever come to imagine. Surely it is the most practical 'subject'?
This doesn't follow and is based on a bad premise.
bad premise - A lot of things have shaped our lives more than we could ever imagine, both because imagination is limited and because a lto of things have shaped our lives.
bad premise again - What has the study of philosophy actually changed? It seems to me that the major changes come from people who happen to do a little philosophy on the side for brain-teasers, not actually using philosophy to do anything awesome.
doesn't follow - even if it shaped our lives dramatically (for better or worse), what does that have to do with whether we should study it? Astrology has done this too, but I wouldn't recommend majoring in it.

>> No.2841483

>>2841423
>i am debating the added value to society of the average philosophy student to the average doctor/engineer/scientist.

What is this added value to society that you're speaking of? Is it some vague idea of utilitarianism?

>> No.2841485

Studying A.I. and Cybernetics here. It is fucking awesome. Lots of math, lots of CS, a little biology, a bit of EE and some mech.
We even build robots and shit. Fucking robots man. Last year I made one with a camera that detects black lines on the floor and drives along them. You can draw paths for it and shit. So cash.

>> No.2841510

>>2841485
>Last year I made one with a camera that detects black lines on the floor and drives along them. You can draw paths for it and shit. So cash.

Smart kids do that with Lego Mindstorms.

>> No.2841512

>>2841485
thats funny, we built the same thing in one of our sophmore EE classes. IR sensor for black tape on white surface, plus some other functions. wonder if that's a common project in uni classes

>> No.2841515

>>2841510
and really smart kids get their phd's by 22, whats your point?

>> No.2841517

>>2841448

Please do not talk about bad premises when your argument is so retarded.

Though, it is not your fault that you are American.

>> No.2841527

>>2841510

It's more interesting and challenging when you pretty much make it from scratch though. Lego Mindstorms was cool, but it's really not the same.

>> No.2841529

>medical
>Mid Tier

Enjoy your useless science degrees, nerds. I'm going to suck money from the baby boomers until they die.

>> No.2841532
File: 420 KB, 500x354, 1301895603974.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2841529
>med school
>not also a nerd

>> No.2841533

if you were one of these people who "did a little philosophy on the side" and accomplished a lot, you wouldn't really see it that way. You would understand how the general principals you learned in philosophy basically governed what you did in every other discipline. You would see it that, these principals could be used to generate novel contributions and solutions to problems in just about every discipline.

You would see it that whenever you did something more specialized, you were actually just doing philosophy.

>> No.2841552

>>2841483
well, when comparing fields of study, usefulness to society is an important aspect of comparison (though not the only one). now, this is somewhat limited as the 'usefulness' of a doctor to a scientist is impossible to objectively measure in most cases.

both have quantifiable and obvious benefits for the average doctor or scientist though. what exactly does the average philosophy major/masters/PhD have besides possibly teaching philosophy?

what other measurement could you possibly have to justify having philosophy as 'god tier'? it's certainly not harder than most of the others on that list.

>> No.2841562

>>2841533
i agree, and my point is that this type of person would not just study philosophy and call it a day.

that's the difference between someone defending philosophy as a good minor/double major choice if they are passionate about it and arguing that it is a worthwhile standalone major. a distinction that is lacking in this thread.

>> No.2841565

DOUBLE GOD TIER I ARE IN PHILOSOPHY AND ASTRONOMY.

>> No.2841568

>>2841529
medfag here. you are fucking high if you think doing medicine for the money is a smart choice given the current trajectory.

>> No.2841579

>>2841568
what do you mean by this?

and if you are in med school for money, just know that you won't have it until your 30s. you'll be a very wealthy not-exactly-young person..

>> No.2841587

>>2841533
Sure, but you could say that about anything. Steve Jobs swears by his class in calligraphy, and how it made his computers awesome. Some people take classes in alternative medicine, and swear by that. I'd put philosophy on equivalent importance.

>>2841517
I'll forgive you since you didn't actually give me a counterargument.

>> No.2841628

>>2841562 -> >>2841438 ;)

This is why I dislike having to discuss things with retarded Americans.

>>2841587

Thank you oh great Americanfag. Just read your post slowly, it might become apparent as to why I didn't bother responding.

Insulting you takes no effort, writing a reasonable response takes a degree of effort I simply don't wish to waste - especially when it will most probably amount to nothing.

Just this once however, I have highlighted what is erroneous in your post,

Everything.

>> No.2841631

>>2839279 Philosophy trolls, don't feed them, anyone of any value knows philosophy is of the utmost importance

Philosophy from some lazy douchebag that majors in philosophy is fucking useless.

>> No.2841634

>>2841628

Spoilers don't work here? Or did I just implement it wrong. Though, there would be no need for such a function on a board such as this I guess.

>> No.2841643

>>2841634

You need the <span class="math"> tags on /sci/[/spoiler]

>> No.2841671

>>2841643

Ah thanks. No idea how to do so, but as there is no real need to learn how to do so, cannot be bothered to do so.

T'was fun /sci/fags.

>> No.2841686
File: 175 KB, 600x598, 1301328867466.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2841579

you can go to less school, make more money, and have more free time doing a large number of other fields. being passionate about the job is the reason to do it, any other justification is better applied to other fields.

>>2841628

you literally haven't given any arguments besides 'philosophy is important!' and calling people ignorant americans. i would call you a troll, but you haven't even succeeded at that.

stay mad bro