[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 32 KB, 230x215, 1_Phoenix_lights_1997.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2837565 No.2837565 [Reply] [Original]

Ok so I tried this on /b/ but there a bunch fags. So what does /sci/ think about the whole Phoenix lights phenom? I dont think that over 10,000 ppl would lie about this. Discuss

>> No.2837577

Looks like aircraft to me.

>> No.2837582

They were just a set of flares a military plane dropped as part of a training exercise.

>> No.2837586
File: 78 KB, 550x550, 1293698436909.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2837565

Some kind of training with planes. There is no logical reason aliens would visit this planet, then make a huge light show for the hell of it.

In fact, testing of military aircraft can probably be attributed to 95% of the "ufo" sightings in history. Do people think that these planes just go from R&D to operational in open air where Joe Mctrailer 6pack can tell his myspace friends about it? Fuck no, that shit is kept under wraps because, believe it or not, some people want our technology for -get this- THEIR OWN COUNTRY.

>> No.2837598

Come on guys. I am Overly convinced that they wouldn't run flair tests over an internationl airport. there were even pilots and air traffic controllers that reported a very large very slow moving set of light directly over head. and the footage does not suggest flairs at all. i know what flairs look like and they sure as hell dont move parallel with the earth.

>> No.2837606

Wasn't it already proven that there is a mountain right there in a dark (that we can't see with this era of photographs), and the lights appeared to go off one-by-one because they fell behind it?

>> No.2837607

>>2837565
>I dont think that over 10,000 ppl would lie
Clearly you're not familiar with religion.

>> No.2837612

>>2837598
It was a gigantic UFO, and this fact does absolutely nothing to change anything at all.

If obama went on national TV and said we have radar sightings of alien spacecraft that turns on a dime and show superhuman acceleration(20km/s^2) the only thing that would change is that the we want to belive crowd could all get cocky and yell "TOLD U SO!".

>> No.2837627

>>2837586
I'm not disagreeing with you that aliens have no reason to display themselves in such a way, but generally we don't test aircraft over massive populous centers, that is just a retarded idea. In fact, I don't think the US military even does training exercises over densely populated areas, why would you? especially in Arizona where there are hundreds upon hundreds of square miles of open desert. I live in Tucson, we have Davis Monthan Air Force Base, and we don't have anything even mildly comparable to this.

>> No.2837633

Thats true. but they obviously want us to know that they are present. I wish they would share some technology with us. being that the dark ages set us back a good 500 years. we could use the technological boost.

>> No.2837637

OP you are better off watching videos about this on youtube than trying to discuss it here

>> No.2837650
File: 1.23 MB, 822x1100, 1298025912658.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2837582

I remember seeing a pretty derpy documentary on the Poenix lights of 1997. Overall I wasn't impressed with it, but one segment was really good. They had a video technician examine the footage of the lights, painstakingly, frame by frame, looking at the spectrum of light emitted and the shimmering patterns. He definitively concluded that the lights were not flares. Coupled with the fact that they stayed in the air for such a prolonged time period, it makes it unlikely that they were military flares.

Also, keep in mind that it wans't only lay people who saw the lights. Air traffick controllers saw them too, and received phone calls from random people inquiring as to what they were, and they just couldn't give them an asnwer because they didn't know themselves.

I'm not claiming some alien spacecraft was responsible, but the flares argument just doesn't hold water.

>> No.2837663

I just wanna hear your thoughts. Im already convinced that where not the only intelligent beings in the universe. So lets just do this.

>> No.2837693

An atmospheric phenomenon.
A military test. Possibly botched due to proximity to the city.

That's pretty much it. It was not aliens.

>> No.2837696
File: 11 KB, 211x207, 1293443433839.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2837663

If you're convinced of your opinion then there is no reason to discuss other possibilites.

>>2837627

Maybe a show of force so to speak? Call me a tin-foil hat wearer, but maybe "they" knew that "someone" as in spies were watching and decided to show that the US does in fact have the technology to do...this.

>"You won't do it"
>"YES WE WILL"
>"nuh-uhhhh"
>"YU-HUH YU-HUH"
>"You won't do it in a bajillion years American"
>"YES WE WILL FAGGOT, WE'LL DO IT OVER A THE CITY OF PHOENIX ARIZo...na....."
>trollface.jpeg
>"Fuck."
Russia/China's face when.

>> No.2837711

>>2837650
And I've seen a show that clearly demonstrates them being flares. Funny how that works.

>> No.2837714
File: 149 KB, 445x470, 1300145483694.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2837696

What is this I don't even.

>> No.2837721

>>2837696
An enormous slow moving aircraft is hardly something worthwhile for the military to develop. When we can build undetectable unmanned planes that can sit in the stratosphere for a week then rain down our best missile technology, why would we want an enormous light up flying target? Plus, imagine trying to fuel that thing? It just doesn't make sense, sorry.
>>2837693
An atmospheric anomaly is the only bit that I would put ANY weight on, experimental aircraft are not tested over massive populous centers. Ever. Seriously, imagine you're in charge of this stuff, you have massive empty desert or densely populated metropolis, which would you fly your experimental giant-as-fuck airwarship over for a test run?

>> No.2837732

>>2837711
Why wouldn't the military admit to it if it was something as blatantly harmless as flares? If they have the option of "Yeah, it was us, we were just testing some shit out" and mass panic and public suspicion, the decision seems obvious.

>> No.2837737

>>2837721

>Implying I didn't address that in my post already. "Possibly botched etc etc." It's possible that these were aircraft of some kind flying in formation with malfunction navigational equipment. I'm a pilot and you'd be surprised how often we just randomly get military aircraft that stray beyond the boundaries of the zones demarcated for their use and into the middle of fucking airways when the pilot's get distracted etc.

>> No.2837738

>>2837732

The higher ups would have someone's ass over it.

>> No.2837742
File: 5 KB, 490x76, Retards.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2837744

>>2837732
Because the military is a bureaucratic oaf that spends 700 dollars on a toilet seat.

Also, if the government weren't responsible for the lights, and saw them as a genuine threat to the public's opinion on UFOs, why would they not claim that they were flares?

>> No.2837749
File: 47 KB, 500x500, 1296417708365.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2837721

If I remember correctly the "flares/lol alien craft/planes" separate and then come back into formation. Meaning more than "one big craft". You obviously want this to be some sort of extraterrestrial force, but at least know your facts before you argue something.

>> No.2837757

>>2837598
ok and the fucking air port radar did not pick put this massive space craft why?

>> No.2837760

>>2837749
>if I remember correctly
>know your facts

OH YOU

>> No.2837763
File: 17 KB, 256x352, 1237927116566.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2837737
>whoops flew over one of the largest cities in America that can be seen from space, my bad.

>>2837738
No, my point was that the higher ups would be the ones to let people know. If the test is as harmless as flares or something trivial like that, they wouldn't be compromising national security to quell thousands of people's suspicions and fears.

>> No.2837773

>>2837760

It's a figure of speech, a more polite way of saying "You don't know what the fuck you are talking about you useless nigger."

Don't mince words just because you've been told.

>> No.2837775

>>2837757

>Implying an ultra advanced military test would not involve stealth aircraft despite the fact that fucking everything the Air Force was doing in the 90s involved stealth because we were still in Cold War mode.

>> No.2837781

>>2837749
Calm down, I'm not defending this being aliens AT ALL. I just simply don't think the military is responsible. In fact, if you read my original post you'd know that I explicitly said that I don't think aliens would display themselves in such a fashion if at all. You obviously want this to be some sort of testosterone fueled argument.

>> No.2837782

Every human being is walking around with a device that can record high definition video with one finger movement for hours. Yet, the UFO (or fucking Big Foot) sightings don't rise accordingly. All we have today, still, are blurry videos that show things we can't really explain properly, bcause we can't see shit in those video except 'moving lights.'

Another interesting fact; the UFO sightings among "regular people" is higher than among amateur astronomers (mainly because they know what the hell they're looking at), who spend every free minute they get to go out and observe the skies with very expensive equipment.

Also:

U-nidentified.
F-lying.
O-bject.

So, yes.

>> No.2837787

>>2837773
Dude, you should really relax. You're hostile for NO reason. It makes you look like a child.

>> No.2837789

>>2837781

>posting as anonymous
>read my original post

You must be very new here. Not that guy.

>> No.2837793

>>2837763

You know nothing about aviation man. Shut the fuck up.
It's entirely possibly that these were UAVs and had been set to a fly to a certain VOR (Or ADF etc.), and enter a holding position above it. The frequencies may have been mixed up and they went to Phoenix's instead. It's actually a very easy mistake to make AND it explains why they were over the airport.

>> No.2837798

>>2837763
individual fields can be seen by crew members on the ISS, without any kind of magnification, the fact a city can be seen from space isn't significant. Military pilots tend to not really give a fuck.

>>2837773
1) I wasn't the person you were replying to
2) your point doesn't actually validate the contradiction. You're still saying that your argument is valid on the condition that you remember, and yet you're telling me that someone else doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about. Inconsistencies, inconsistencies everywhere.

>> No.2837808

>>2837793
Holy shit. I've been browsing /sci/ since the day the board opened and not run into this much blatant hostility over simple discussion. If I'm missing something, explain it, don't be a cunt about it for no apparent reason other than someone questioning what you're saying as opposed to just accepting it because "you're a pilot"

>> No.2837812

I live in Phoenix and I saw one of the lights just last year. I shit you not.

>> No.2837816
File: 74 KB, 512x382, 1271576967677.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2837787

>Arguing that aliums flew over a city because lol
>Wants a rational (LOL) calm discussion
>On 4chan

What a stupid faggot.

>>2837798
Mincing words again. I just watched the video and I'm sure you know now that I was right. Go ahead, apply the formal rules of debate to an internet argument. It was obviously not one big craft and any idiot who watched the video could gather that from the lights moving independently.

See picture.

>>2837808
Oh jesus christ,
P.S. STOP BEING FUCKING OFFENDED ON 4CHAN YOU STUPID REDDIT NIGGER PIECE OF SHIT. YOU ARE WRONG BECAUSE YOUR GODDAMN UGLY AND YOUR ENTIRE EXISTENCE IS A MISTAKE.

Love- Anonymous.

>> No.2837818

>>2837789
Follow the tags, lad. This isn't that hard.
>implying you can't hold a consistent discussion with someone even under anonymous.
Fuck it. This thread turned into a cluster fuck of angry pricks. I'm going to bed.

>> No.2837822

>>2837793
Neh, it's virtually impossible for an operator to use the wrong frequency. In military drones, certainly, the allocation of frequencies is 1) preset and 2) hardware controlled. It's entirely possible the lights were drones, but if that were the case, why were they lit?
>>2837808
Nice reading beyond the first line you did right there. He explained it

>> No.2837824

>>2837818

>He goes to bed at 8:30 p.m.
Alternatively
>He isn't a master race American on the East Coast

>> No.2837827

>>2837816
u mad.
I've had countless civil well thought out discussions on /sci/, just because it's beyond you does not reflect the whole board.

>> No.2837826

>>2837808

Apologies for the hostility.
I was reacting to your
>whoops flew over one of the largest cities in America that can be seen from space, my bad.

I'm explaining that the visibility of something on the ground is simply not the way that UAVs or even piloted aircraft navigate.
Pilots would be very likely be concentrating on their instruments especially if they were flying a new vehicle and not wasting time looking out the window.
If these were UAVs... Well... Machines don't give a fuck about visibility.

>> No.2837836

>>2837816
Oh, you mad cos I stylin' on you.
You didn't actually respond to anything I said in any noticeable way.

>> No.2837843

>>2837822

It's still entirely possible that a mistake was made even if they were preset. GPS navigation may not have been used for these aircraft and they may have instead relied on VORs and a simple .01 difference in the frequencies could send them to an entirely different station (The phoenix airport one in this case.) I'd expect the lights to be those of experimental engines (Given their odd behavior) and not of lights.

That said, I still bet that it was an atmospheric phenomenon.

>> No.2837846

>>2837826
I'm still skeptical of the military's involvement. But thank you for the explanation. Admittedly I was a bit overly-sarcastic, I just found the thought amusing.
>>2837822
Well yeah, I was looking for an explanation with a little less bite, which he was then kind enough to provide.
>>2837824
Actually, I live in Arizona. So I suppose I don't fit your east coast "master race" definition, however, I'm also a student and just got home from a ten hour day on no sleep.

Okay, leaving for real now.

>> No.2837852

No idea what they are. Flares... I doubt it. Airplanes could be but is odd that even people that work with airplanes every day could not figure out if they where. Balloons possibly but still they look too bright and well they appear to be in a formation that does not change. Military experiment possibly, but beside trolling the population with cold war setting I don't see the point of doing it over a populated area. I mean what if the shit malfunctioned and drop dead to the ground.

If I wanted to make a conspiracy I would say there is a conspiracy and feed information to the media and hire a some people to feed even more information so that in the end the thing you try to hide slips away in waves of misinformation and paranoia.

The Light, well they are lights and so a UFO, because we don't know what the hell it was.

>> No.2837870

>>2837843
I suppose so. It's more likely the craft were experimental and on a contract with Boeing or Qinetiq or someone, given the sheer difficulty of managing to change that kind of thing on a fully functional UAV. I don't really see how the drones could end up flying into formation and remaining there after leaving said formation unless they were using some kind of automagical spatial awareness stuff.

My bet's actually on those paper lanterns that work like hot air balloons. If you released one every 5 minutes from a certain point then drove along a road throwing one out every 5 minutes you could probably get a fairly accurate V-shape.

>> No.2837877

Another possibility is that they had been using the Phoenix VOR for their operations and in combination with a VOR had been using the radials for local high altitude navigation past the Phoenix area.
A software failure may have caused the Drones to enter into a sort of safe mode that sent them directly to the VOR to await instructions.
God damnit. I'm over thinking this, aren't I?

>> No.2837880

>>2837870
Wonder if one of this UFO shows could try that and screw it over in some way like they usually do.

>> No.2837885

>>2837877

in combination with a DME*

sorry.

>> No.2837890

>>2837877
sounds very plausible, and yes. Then again, you're talking on the internet. If you're thinking at all you're overthinking.

>> No.2837931

OP does it matter?