[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 18 KB, 587x425, 1264802731258.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2834656 No.2834656 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/, how much better is it that people receive their specific type of blood in a transfusion compared to getting something that is just compatible (ie an A positive getting an O negative, an AB negative getting B negative, etc.)?

Also, how rare is AB negative blood at blood banks and such? Is it really in demand?

Pic unrelated

>> No.2834660
File: 110 KB, 600x506, sci_core-hubble.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
FORCED MEMEOP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
OP IS A FAGGOT
FORCED MEME

>> No.2834676

­

>> No.2834696

Anyone?

>> No.2835105

bump

>> No.2835114

There are many different reactions to each other, a table on this page outlines the situation.

http://www.bloodbook.com/compat.html

>> No.2835136

Op, I only heard this cause I go and donate blood myself and I have 0 rh-. If you mix two types of blood the one with A or B antibodies will clog. But if you slooowlyyy add a blood type without antibodies in small amounts into a surplus of blood that has antibodies, it will dissolve without problems. It is risky though, if the local concentration of antobodiless blood gets too high, the blood will clog and that sux. Anyway this seems logical to me and its how I believe it works. Maybe I'll check wikipedia later to find out how it is for real.

>> No.2835170

I would like to donate blood because i have O negative blood type and i hear it is not as common as some of the other blood types....... but i am not allowed to donate blood because im a faggot and according to the NHS all faggots have AIDS so im not alowed to give blood because im a faggot with AIDS (i don't have aids)

>> No.2835175

I used to donate quite often, Then mad cow happened, and they stopped letting me donate because I've spent a lot of time in europe during the late 80s and early 90s.

I've always wondered if they went back and tracked down the people who received my previous donations. "you might have the mad cow sir, but we won't know for 30 more years."

>> No.2835180

surface proteins on any cell in your body, or anything that enters your body act as antigens, or markers, that the cells in your body check out to see if they are foreign or not. if they are, your body generates antibodies that act as markers for other immune cells to target the specific cell.

someone who is AB+ has "A" antibodies, "B"antibodies, and "Rh" antibodies on their cells already. because of this, their immune system will not recognize transfused blood with those as foreign and will accept it.

someone who is O- is exactly the opposite. any blood save O- will be recognized as foreign.

as such, it makes no difference for someone who is AB+ to get A-, B+, O-, or AB+ blood- its all about avoiding the immune response and they can get any of it.

that is why O- people are needed to donate blood so much more than anyone else, in trauma situations when they don't know the blood type of the person, that is what they have to use.

>> No.2835184

>>2835170
They base that on the experience they have with faggots, they may be healthy and careful as shit but then they break up with their man and start sticking their dicks into alle the wrong assholes and BANG they have aids and have already spread the hiv shit to like 50 other kids.

But there are tons of other seemingly silly rules. My friend who gave blood had sex with a girl who also gave blood and then they couldn't donate blood for 6 months out of risk of aids...

>> No.2835188

>>2835180
I heard they use 0- when operating on children. Is that because the cells are not fully antigenified or something?

>> No.2835195

>>2835175
I know, when donating blood in Norway, you have to cross "no" on the question "Did you spend more than one year in GB between 19xx and 19xx" or whatever years it is. Thats due to creuzfeldt jacob's. Interesting disease, that, death through crystallization. Its not a virus, bacteria, immune response or a poison.

>> No.2835246

>>2835188

only reason i can think of is that they don't want to waste time blood typing the child. i'm just a med student so i am sure there are people here who would know better than me.

>> No.2835258

>>2835180
while this is an apt description, it is important to note that the Rh factor is by no means a limitation. while it is preferable to use D- blood on D- people, D+ is still commonly used.

its only really a problem for women who are D- and have a D+ partner.

>> No.2835857

>>2835258

you cannot use Rh+ blood for Rh- people, you will have an immune response- it's not simply 'preferable'.

for someone that is Rh+ i personally know of no reason why Rh+ would be preferred over Rh- aside from supply issues.

>> No.2835891

>Rh+ blood for Rh- people
You can. But only once, after that they'll have antibodies against it.
Also, if availible and not in an emergency you will always match the major bloodgroups. You won't be wasting O- on AB+ unless you absolutely have to.

Also, there are several hundreds of antigens that can cause complications, hence why, if possible, you always start with a small transfusion and keep the patient under observation, if nothing happens, you transfuse more but you still need to observe the patient.

Blood transfusion is like shooting from the hip. Nothing that's particularly precise.