[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 133 KB, 270x216, 270px-BH_LMC.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2805962 No.2805962 [Reply] [Original]

The strong nuclear force is ≈10^39 times as strong as gravity. It takes ≈10^39 protons to make a black hole with a Schwarzschild radius about the size of a proton. That's not just a coincidence, right? Why?

So something got me thinking about the LHC and all the OMG! Quantum Black Holes! crap that was on the web a while back and I found myself thinking about how pathetic the force of gravity was relative to the strong nuclear force and wondering, "How massive does a black hole have to be to have an event horizon the diameter of a single proton?" It kind of surprised me that the difference in masses was almost exactly the difference between the strength of gravity and the strong nuclear.

Part of me is feeling like I've just stumbled on a fundamental secret of the cosmos and part of me realizes that the diameter of black holes and protons are surely defined by some property of spacetime and the strength of their respective fundamental force and of course they're going to be different in direct proportion to their relative strength!

Physicists probably have a word or two that explains this and Planck's constant is almost certainly involved. Probably. Can anyone elucidate?

>> No.2805991

>That's not just a coincidence, right? Why?

Why can't it be a coincidence? Also, ≈10^39 ≈ ≈10^39

>> No.2806005

You're projecting patterns.