[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 48 KB, 774x630, Pic Unrelated.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2793740 No.2793740 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/. I have an idea/thought process I thought I'd share.

Now, we all know maths right. We know what it is.
My older brother was talking to me today saying:

You have two runners in a race, runner X and runner Y.
Runner X runs at speed Z. Runner Y runs at speed Z+1. Runner X gets a headstart. Y will never overtake X because you can keep making the units smaller and smaller and smaller to infinity.
But this is 'wrong'. Sure,the 'maths' is correct, but maths is a tool for understanding the real world. If the maths =/= real world (like in example) it is not "true" maths.

I think we should divide maths into two different fields. Real maths (the stuff people learn in school etc.) and Pseudomaths (basically just dicking around).

As I am not a clever man this is probably
A) Pointless
B) Already done
C) Just plain wrong
D) You lacka fundemental understanding of maths, please leave /sci/ and for the love of God stay away from a calculator lest you 1/0.
E) Please specify.
>Hardmode: Justify your answer.

>Pick one.

>> No.2793746

Y will eventually over take X assuming that they run for long enough for Y overtake.

>> No.2793747

>>2793740
> Y will never overtake X

i don't think so tim

>> No.2793751
File: 15 KB, 262x228, 1295988979682.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Runner X runs at speed Z. Runner Y runs at speed Z+1. Runner X gets a headstart. Y will never overtake X because you can keep making the units smaller and smaller and smaller to infinity.

>> No.2793755

i believe it was archimedes that first proposed this problem.

the solution is infinetesmal geometrical series formula that will tell you when x overtakes y.

there is no dicking around in mathst that is called philosophy.

if you wanna dick around go into philosophy where people will call you brilliant and deep for imagining a circle that does not add up to 360° or a triangle with four sides or whatever but maths is srs business

>> No.2793761

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achilles_and_the_Tortoise#Achilles_and_the_tortoise

>> No.2793762

>>2793740
>>2793740
http://www.vias.org/calculus/09_infinite_series_02_02b.html

how to solve problem.

>> No.2793769

>>2793755
>if you wanna dick around go into philosophy where people will call you brilliant and deep for imagining a circle that does not add up to 360° or a triangle with four sides or whatever

No, they'll call you a stupid fuckhead.

>> No.2793770
File: 24 KB, 866x731, Easy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All I need now are the values of Z and the headstart.

Fucking solved.