[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 41 KB, 345x596, warmod.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2786248 No.2786248 [Reply] [Original]

Right, so, /sci/, random thought of the day. How much easier would it be to build tall scyscrapers on Mars or the Moon?

The lack of atmosphere would make weather conditions less of a problem, but would the decreased gravity be a benefit or pose a problem? Inutivively I'd say it'd make it easier, but science has taught me never to trust intuition. Also, how common are tremors in comparison to earth?

>> No.2786274

>How much easier would it be to build tall scyscrapers on Mars or the Moon?

A shitload harder, because its on the fucking moon!

You'd need a shitload of equipment. You'd need to pour the foundations, i dont know how dense mars is, the moon is about the same as earth so that wouldnt be a problem there. Geologically inert so no real tremor risk, but no atmosphere/shielding from bombardment/sun

overall i'd say it wouldnt be worth it. Real estate is cheap on mars/moon, simpler to not build a giant fucking skyscraper. Its not spread out at all thus a small meteor impact could fuck up the whole thing. A series of interconnected bio-domes/undgerground rooms is far better

>> No.2786308

>>2786274

Alright, thanks.

Another random thought, what's the simplest way of turning iron oxides into iron and oxygen in industrial scale?

>> No.2786406

Well there's no oxygen for us to breathe

I would say it would be fairly difficult

>> No.2786429

>>2786308
melt it

>> No.2786434

>>2786429

That simple?

>> No.2786453

Less gravity means less building material required to support any given weight, which is a benefit.