[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 402 KB, 1280x1024, 1300869052554.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2761100 No.2761100 [Reply] [Original]

okay /sci/, anthropology student here

do you ever think maybe the reason so many people are depressed in this day and age is because they don't feel like they have a concrete purpose in their lives, which is brought about by how vague western culture is?

people are told they can be whatever they want, leaving them entirely on their own to decide. this is nothing like what has happened before, all through history people would inherit their parent's workload and trade. going back as far as hunter gatherers, you didn't really have an unemployment office or job opportunities, you had to hunt. there was no stress about advancement or betterment, they just lived and died doing what has always been done, and no doubt they would of derived confidence from that.

the internet has made this confusion worse, someone can belong to any number of internet cultures which will color their IRL perspective. you've got dumbass kids running around with faux masks when they'd ordinarily be doing something more socially acceptable.

just my thoughts, i'm probably talking out of my ass. thoughts, /sci/? i know you guys do math, but i sure as hell wasn't to post this on /adv/.

>> No.2761126

tl;dr? oh well, bump1

>> No.2761167

Anthropology student...
You're too stupid to know your picture should say "This is me not giving a fuck"

Thanks for making me feel superior, OP!
Sincerely, anon from the math department.

>> No.2761176

tl;dr but boone is a badass mofo

>> No.2761178

>>2761167
:(

dang engineers everywhere. fml.

>> No.2761205

Sounds like Buddhism without the funny hats to me.

>> No.2761213

>>2761167

Biodeparment here, you're an asshat. "This is me giving a fuck" works because it implies that he's unable to show more interest in anything than he's doing in that picture, and that he's normally even more chill.

>>2761100
I don't really think that's a bad thing OP. Empowering people to define themselves is a good thing as I see it. The alternative of a rigid social status quo as your describe only leads to stagnation. And there will always be idiots (untill the neurochemists find a cure), regardless of social conditions.

>> No.2761241

>>2761213
that's a fair call, i guess i'm being a bit heavy handed in pretty much saying people can't handle choice.

>> No.2761242

people are depressed today in comparison to...?
you have data from around 40 maybe 60 years, for all you know the same levels of depression have been constant.
not to mention maybe they lowered from say the middle ages were people have very confined rolls.

not to mention you forgot to give us actual data of todays "depression" as well as a good definition, sub types, division among the populace and many other fucking factors.

i'm not even remotely interested in anthropology but requiring that kind of data seems fucking basic to me.

>> No.2761290

>>2761242
i could find a comparative study of some kind, but if i'd wanted to write an essay, i'd start the one that i'm gonna get marked on

>> No.2761324 [DELETED] 

>implying there is meaning or purpose, aside from what we create
>mfw this is common knowledge
>mfw i'm an existentialist
>mfw i'm going to enjoy myself, and not be a dick to others

tl:dr - nothing really matters, get on with your life

>> No.2761335
File: 43 KB, 600x447, I ain't even mad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>implying there is meaning or purpose, aside from what we create
>mfw this is common knowledge
>mfw i'm an existentialist
>mfw i'm going to enjoy myself, and not be a dick to others

tl:dr - nothing really matters, get on with your life