[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 56 KB, 498x372, 1297505093183.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2733502 No.2733502 [Reply] [Original]

My brain is getting mind fucked by the complexity of DNA. I'm reading the chapter and I am being bombarded by terms and functions that are completely new to me.

>Can /sci/ break it down for me?

Nucleotides:
Nucleotide - Five- Carbon sugar, a nitrogen-containing base, and a phosphate soup.
All DNA nucleotides have identical sugar and phosphate.
Nitrogenous can be either of the four structures called;
Adenine
Guanine
Thymine
Cytosine

Nucleotides are used in DNA replication, mRNA, tRNA, and rRNA. Correct?
>I am a visual learned, what is this shit? Is it a compound chilling in the nucleus of the cell?

I want to post an essay, but I'll start with the above first.

>Thanks in advance.

>> No.2733514
File: 14 KB, 400x300, human_chromosomes_female_X_1000_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

babby's first science class?

>> No.2733518

>>2733514

First class in nearly 6 years. Would you like to help? Or just make snide comments from the sidelines?

>> No.2733523

Think of nucleotides being different colored legos, that some together to build genetic materials. Which then forms DNA and RNA, but RNA replaces the Thymine lego with a Uracil lego.

>> No.2733538
File: 75 KB, 450x611, gattaca-inspirational-movie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

watch this movie OP

all you need to know about DNA are explained within

>> No.2733549

>>2733523
Adding to that, if you can't remember which ones are purines and which are pyrimidines, just remember "Pure AG", say AG as "aaaaaag"

So, that automatically tells you the purines would be Adenine and Guanine. Then, the left overs are pyrimidines which are Thymine/Uracil and Guanine.

>> No.2733553

Yes nucleotide monophosphates in successive make up DNA, rRNA, mRNA, tRNA, and sRNA. D(deoxy)NA does not have a 2' -OH group on its ribose sugar but RNA does, this makes DNA more stable.

Central Dogma of Molecular Biology: DNA transcribes to RNA translates to proteins

>> No.2733557

>>2733518
>snide comments from the snidelines

I lol'd

>> No.2733568

>>2733553

Adding to this DNA contains Thymine and RNA contains Uracil instead. This is due to Cytosine's tendancy to transistion to Uracil which can cause a host of issue if Uracil was part of DNA.

Purine - complicated structure with a simple name
Pyrimidine - simple structure with a complicated name

>> No.2733572

You from the UK? Sound like the A-Level Biology sylabbus I took a couple of years ago.

>> No.2733573

>>2733502
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleotide#Synthesis

>compound chilling in the nucleus of the cell?
Well, basically, yeah. Nucleotides are synthesized from a variety of sources (long complex processes here), but mostly from amino acids. DNA and related molecules are pieced together with nucleotides that are synthesized in the cell and transported around to various sites of synthesis, including the nucleus. All the different RNAs are basically just copies of portions of the DNA for a variety of tasks - mainly gene expression (protein synthesis), and replication.

>> No.2733585

Then

mRNA = the stuff that results from the transcription of DNA, think of it as you copying notes in class from the profs ppt.

tRNA= These are what bring protein subunits to connect to the codons (3 nucleotide sections) on mRNA. Then are always the opposite of what the mRNA is. That is if mRNA reads, CGA, the corresponding tRNA sequence is GCU.

rRNA = Ribosomal RNA, which translates mRNA into proteins. These are the machines that read mRNA and connect tRNA with it to produce proteins.

>> No.2733587

>>2733553
Correct. Now, when DNA replicates the bonds holding the strands of protein together break and the double helix becomes a single strand. Correct?

The book then goes on to say that the nucleotides go on to attract their complementary nucleotides. So...
Adenine : Thymine
Guanine : Cytosine

Correct?

Now because the DNA is obviously in the nucleus, all these nucleotides are found within the nucleus as well, right? Do they exist as singular compounds then?

>> No.2733589

>>2733573

Expanding on this. DNA is contained in the nucleous. For you level, the RNA transcript leaves the nucleous to be do what this guy says. Also, RNA can act at enzymes known as Ribozymes

>> No.2733605

>>2733557
I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions.

>> No.2733611

>>2733587
>Do they exist as singular compounds then?
No, they are generally synthesized on the spot as needed from intermediates and other molecules abundant in the cell.

>> No.2733614

>>2733587

Correct, as the machinery comes together to replicate in the nucleous, nucleotides in the form of NTP, where N = Adenine, Thyimine, Guanine of Cytosine, and TP = triphosphate. You probably have already covered ATP I imagine. They come in and DNA Polymerase matches the corrent NTP and well polymerases it to NMP, the energy released from the hydrolysis of the pyrophosphate group fuels the reaction.

>> No.2733615

DNA stands for Deoxyribose (Pentose sugar) Nucleic Acid.

It consists of Nucleotides. These are built up of a phosphate group, the Pentose sugar and a Nitrogenous base.

Typically, there are 3 Phosphate groups (o-o-o) joined to the Deoxyribose sugar (5 Carbons so Pentagon shape). The Sugar is then joined to a Nitrogenous base, either Adenine, Thymine, Cytosine or Guanine.

That is your nucleotide. They join up to other nucleotides depending on their base. Adenine will join with the Thymine of another nucleotide. Cytosine with Guanine.

As for RNA, the sugar is still a Pentose but it's called Ribose instead. Also, it doesn't contain Thymine. Instead it has Uracil but still joins with Adenine.

messengerRNA - Uses the DNA strand code (A, C, G, A, T, T - just an example, can be any bases) and forms a complementary strand (U, G, C, U, A, A - in this example). The mRNA then travels to the Ribosomes and attaches itself there.
transferRNA - These carry specific amino acids for each codon (Or, 3 bases.. in the above UGC and UAA). As UGC is read above, a tRNA with anti-codon ACG will carry a specific amino acid (ACG = Threonine) to join at the Ribosome. This goes on with the next few codons and different amino acids join together until a stop-codon has been reached which effectively ends this process and you have your protein.

ribosomalRNA - Used to make ribosomes.

>> No.2733619

>>2733587
iirc, bases do exist on their own for the purposes of mRNA and DNA replication. The process is spontaneous - take bases, DNA/RNA polymerase and mix em together and they will assemble. I think there's another detail I'm missing though

>> No.2733656

>>2733589
Right, I'm also trying to understand that.
DNA is the blueprint that stays within the nucleus.
RNA is the mobile body that works throughout the cell body. There three type of RNA.
mRNA (messanger), tRNA (transcript), and rRNA (ribosome).

Now the mRNA carries genetic information (instructions) into the cytoplasm for the purpose of creating protein. Right?

tRNA then carries amino acid to the site of the mRNA. Protein is a chain of amino acids right?
>Does the mRNA set the location and the tRNA bring the materials?

rRNA forms the cell's ribosome organelle right? And they form with the use of protein found in the cytoplasm as well as the rRNA. Ribosomes are also what translate DNA.

So is the overall purpose of RNA to carry function information throughout the cell? Does this process extend past protein?

>What other function is RNA used for?

>> No.2733737

>>2733585
So, if the ribosome is what creates the protein using mRNA and tRNA? Does that mean that the mRNA and tRNA are exclusively sent to the ribosome organelle?

>>2733611
So all the ingredients are found within the nucleus? Or are they brought into the cell to be used?

>> No.2733784

>>2733737
>So all the ingredients are found within the nucleus? Or are they brought into the cell to be used?
Both. Of course they are brought in to the nucleus at some point, but they are generally abundant.

Keep in mind, all the processes being described here are occurring simultaneously - thousands of times over. At any given moment all steps in every process are occurring.

>> No.2733838

>>2733784
Right. I also keep having to remind myself that everything is happening at the microscopic level.

On that note.

DNA is a double helix with numerous nucleotides holding it together. The only difference between all the above nucleotides is that their nitrogenous, is different. The nitrogenous is the Adenine, Guanine, Thymine, and Cytosin right? Chemically speaking what is the composition?

...On second thought, I think that may just over complicate things. I'm just trying to truly understand it. >Thanks

>> No.2733853

>>2733737

>So, if the ribosome is what creates the protein using mRNA and tRNA? Does that mean that the mRNA and tRNA are exclusively sent to the ribosome organelle?

They aren't exactly sent there, theyre kinda just floating around but they are used almost exlcusivly by the Ribosome, which is a ribozyme. RNA's like snoRNA, snRNA, and microRNA can carry out different functions (but that higher level stuff)

RNA can also be used for regulation and enzymatic activity but mainly focus on transcription and translation

>> No.2733867

>>2733838

They only differ in the base (purine or pyrimidine) composition. There differences vary by position and/or addition of carbonyl, amino, and methyl groups.

>> No.2733887

>>2733853
>They aren't exactly sent there, theyre kinda just floating around but they are used almost exlcusivly by the Ribosome, which is a ribozyme. RNA's like snoRNA, snRNA, and microRNA can carry out different functions (but that higher level stuff)

I was under the impression that the RNA originates from the nucleus. Does that mean that only the mRNA is produce from the nucleus? Or is it brought into the nucleus from the outside, trascribed with DNA information, sent out, and then used in the ribosome? Does that mean that RNA in all forms is found within the cell body and moved as needed?

Thanks

>> No.2733914

>>2733887

No, RNA is polymerized within the nucleous.

It then, for the most part exits the nucleous to carry out its function.

In the cell, most things are in abundence (floating around) so they can be used as needed.

Understand that the RNA is not a strand that needs to have information encoded on it. It is generated by complementing the DNA strand is the same way DNA is replicated. Except T is replaced with U. And there is different machinery. So basically small NTP molecules come in and they are bound together and come out.