[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 45 KB, 475x350, world-war3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2671962 No.2671962 [Reply] [Original]

Since 4chan doesn't have a history board, I thought I'd post here.

Can we get a WW2 general discussion going. I'm personally curious about the events leading up to the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but anything WW2 is fine.

>> No.2671977
File: 103 KB, 273x305, crit kukri.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

US was supposed to wait for Russia to move across the Chinese mainland so they could make an infantry invasion from the West, North, and South

also, inb4 US let Pearl Harbor happen

>> No.2671988

>>>/b/

>> No.2672012

>>2671988
because /b/ can have a serious discussion about anything

>> No.2672021

>>2671962

/k/ has some pretty deep historical discussions, it starts off as weaponry and then they move onto tactics and politics.

Lets see how this fares though.

>> No.2672029

What interests me is the role Australia had in provoking Japan to go to war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Hughes#cite_ref-adb_0-8

>> No.2672036

The USA had an informal agreement that the USSR would invade Japan from the North.

The plan was that Tokyo would be attacked by the Americans from the sea and the Commonwealth would come in from the south west, where they had essentially defeated the Japanese Army after some of the hardest fighting of the war.

The USA decided it wanted a quick end to the war and did not want to fight a Japanese insurgency. The Soviets did not want to get caught into another meat grinder. The British didn't fancy repeating what they just did, but on the Japanese own turf.

So the USA bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The Soviets went home and the British remained as a presence around Japan, but never actually in it.

Then the war ended.

>> No.2672045

the problem with WW2 discussions is that people always say shit like "such and such nation did the most work in such and such way" and it turns into mindless nationalism

>> No.2672086

>>2672045
>implying half that war wasn't nationalism