[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 10 KB, 128x187, 128px-Hayley_Wickenheiser_cropped.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2668404 No.2668404 [Reply] [Original]

"Modern science" and has repeatedly fallen short of explaining shit again and again. Until fairly recently in human history the most educated people believed that the earth was flat and it would be rediculous to think otherwise.

Another example of people taking things for granted for true is a fish seen from above in water. People perceive it is one place without questions until it turns out that the fish was not actually where the faggot believed it was.

tl;dr Modern science is always wrong/ people don't look at theism as an option because it is terrifying, much more attractive to think of oneself as enlightened/superior to theists then to release you cannot figure anything out and intuition/the subconscious is the most powerful form of thought humans have

>> No.2668409

hahaha 0/10. a valiant attempt for someone with your intellectual capacity.

sage.

>> No.2668410

>science constantly revises itself, improving our understanding of the universe every time new information presents itself
>this is a bad thing

>> No.2668441

>>2668410

Science constantly spreads false information that is later revised, regardless, knowledge taken for granted and taught at basic levels might be false, again I use earth is flat example. A thousand years ago 3 year olds were told the world is flat, and looking to there horizon again and again found simple prove to comfort them and make them believe they could "know" this.

Yes this is a bad thing because every generation is taught something at a young age which is false

>> No.2668458

>>2668441
>people thought earth was flat

>he thinks this was science, and not stupid myth spread by dumbass christians
>he forgot the church tried to execute Galileo for saying the earth was not the center of the universe.

>I am responding to this obvious troll.

>> No.2668473

my point is Science is not perfect and neither is the "enlightened" individuals thought proccess. telling oneself that theism is absurd and that you are superior to theists is attractive becuase it gives the delusional comfort that you understand you're world. Openminded/enlightened people trust there instinct and subconscious which is usually correct. The simple example of the way the mind works on a multiple choice test is a good example

Also if theism is attractive, it could very well possibly be that a/the creator designed our minds in a way that finds theism sensible on a deeper, more instinctive level

it is usually fear of the unknown which leads to closeminded and telling yourself you don't give theism a chance because you have ruled out that a God/higher power could exist because you have deductively ruled out that possibility when in fact you have not

>> No.2668481

>>2668473
>>2668473
>my point is Science is not perfect

that's where you're wrong.

>> No.2668500

>>2668441

Science is people trying to figure things out deductively which people did when they looked out onto the horizon and perceived the earth was flat

regardless of you're University Degrees and accolades science is still people trying to figure stuff out deductively,

science has spread false teachings and will again and again

and I am in no way against science or thinking, but it is not perfect and no one has logically ruled out the possibility of a God

seemy posts on openmindnessess and intuition for further prove theists arent all fucking retards and you're so enlightened because you shut out anything at odds with human science which has as I said been wrong again and again

>> No.2668528

>>2668473

Good to see that science-bashing and theism remain closely linked in their eternal circlejerk.

Atheists have been justified before the rise of science.

Why do horrible natural disasters, tyrannies, rapes and murders happen?

If god is not able to prevent them then how could he have created the world?

If god is not willing to prevent them then he is guilty of negligent homicide a million times over.

If god is neither willing nor able to stop these things, why call him god?

>> No.2668536
File: 28 KB, 500x500, zero out of ten, lol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

God of the gaps argument blatant in OP
/thread

>> No.2668541

>>2668500

INDUCTIVELY. Science works INDUCTIVELY.

Also, where in the nine hells did you get your faith-built computer and internet connection? This is huge news!

Oh wait - don't tell me - religion has contributed nothing to human knowledge, hasn't it?

No no, I'm a fair man. I'm sure your god can cure cancer if he puts his mind to it, assuming he exists, of course.

I'm sure he can create a just and equal society.

Except, you have to come up with a really good excuse why he's taking so long.

>> No.2668550

The actual troll is the revealing that there could be some people that actually think like this.

>> No.2668558

>>2668541

Science me enlightened one

diffrence between induction and deduction

>> No.2668561

>>2668441
like that santa, the easter bunny and god exist. yeah your right, what are we doing to our poor children!? It's an outrage I tell you

>> No.2668560

>>2668541

I lol'd at your argument. (as in I agree and I thought your argument was compelling

>> No.2668570

>>2668550

think like what?

different then you?

You cannot prove God is not real in fact right now you cannot even prove the earth is round, everything you would say to support the idea the earth is round would be based on an assumption that you're source is correct

>> No.2668573

>>2668558

>Science me enlightened one

>diffrence between induction and deduction

Very well. And it's a matter of logic, not science.

Deductive logic means you get a cause and deduce the effect. (or have a premise and deduce a conclusion)

Inductive logic means you observe some effects over a range of examples and infer the cause based on preceding events.

The former is used primarily in engineering, mathematics and logic, the latter in making empirical discoveries with science.

>> No.2668574

>>2668441
People are not restricted to learning as children. As science adapts to new evidence, the people that were taught things that are no longer true learn the newer understanding.
What's the alternative to teaching science?

>> No.2668576

>>2668561
>>2668561

no idea what you meant by that

>> No.2668592

I bet the theists in this thread haven't read The Relativity of Wrong.

Science advances its theories based on evidence. As we get more evidence, we throw out old theories that don't fit, to be replaced with new theories that can explain *all* the evidence. What does not happen is throwing out a good theory and replacing it with a worse one. So first we thought the earth was flat. The ancient greeks did some tests and thought it was a sphere. Now we think its an oblate spheroid - similar to a sphere, but with our new information our theory becomes more accurate - now our approximations are accurate enough to use for spacecraft, rather than just sailing.

>> No.2668596

>>2668573
thanks, makes sense

it hardly makes it perfect, these inferrences could fairly be called assumptions because inductive reasoning AND mainstream science have both been incorrect in the past

>>2668574

What I'm saying is science is not and never will be perfect, nor will human thought/philosphy so shutting out everything which cannot be proven and mocking the shit out of theism is nonsensical to as you will never be able to figure anything out by induction or deduction. So I follows you either believe nothing to be true or you trust your instincts and open-you're mind to theism

>> No.2668613

>>2668596
Evidence is the only thing that matters. If something has significant evidence to support it, I will assume that thing is true, given our current understanding of it.
Since there is no evidence for the existence of a greater power, then I can assume there isn't one. Simple as that.

>> No.2668620

>>2668596
>>2668596
what the hell makes you think it's instinctive to believe in god? granted most of us in western society are exposed to this crap when we're young, but the INSTINCTIVE thing for an intelligent mind to do is to question everything. and since there has never been any tangible proof that there was a creator it makes more sense that there wasn't a creator.
The reason we hate on religious people is because it's INSTINCTIVE to treat people like equals, but when you find out they believe in god you instantly feel that this is a weaker person. (weaker willed, whatever. lesser person)
so you argue with them, shit on them, anything to make them think about their mistaken beliefs and become your equal again.

>> No.2668656

>>2668596

I'm an openminded guy. And I think theism is utter bunk. You're free to try and present some evidence or some logic to do so.

If science will never reach the end, religion is still on the start line.

>> No.2668674
File: 72 KB, 800x600, 1299461389371.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2668686
File: 32 KB, 500x389, science.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Also, where in the nine hells did you get your faith-built computer and internet connection? This is huge news!

Well said.

>> No.2668688

>>2668656
>If science will never reach the end, religion is still on the start line.
Religion has made progress too through theology.

>> No.2668705

>Religion has made progress too through theology.

I assume by progress you mean in ability to survive despite it's total lack of useful results.