[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 752 KB, 1617x1454, 1268763756103.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2661846 No.2661846 [Reply] [Original]

Yahoo told me that they found alien life from a meteorite they found 10 years ago (fossilized of course) and that some specimens are "close to those found on earth". Couldn't these just be organisms that fossilized on/in the meteorite after it fell to earth and that some of them may just be extinct and that's why we don't recognize them?

>> No.2661856

Yeah no shit. Didn't stop people from trolling religious people with it all over my fucking news wire on FB.

>> No.2661881

they are plane old normal earth bacteria that got inside the rock through microfissures

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/03/07/followup-thoughts-on-the-meteorite-fossils
-claim/

>> No.2661916

>>2661846
Yeah, it was more like 15 years ago, and it was a very big deal at the time. The finding made headlines, and President Clinton gave a big speech.

However, as more and more scientists studied the meteorite, the more doubtful they became. Most scientists argue that the microscopic structures in the meteorite just LOOK biological, but are actually formed by natural chemical processes.

The issue has never been settled, and has largely been forgotten by the public. That's why with this most recent announcement by Hoover has been met with such skepticism by many scientists: it just looks like the same thing all over again.

>> No.2661967

maybe that article is high-level trolling

>> No.2661981

It is certainly wishful thinking, but it'd be pretty damn cool if it was actually valid.

Oh well.

>> No.2661993

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/112279/office-wife-time-for-a-split
this is far more important
>Oh my god they actually put this in Yahoo Finance, what the fuck is wrong with them?

>> No.2661998

>fossilized
>after 10-15 years

Is that possible? I was under the impression that it took a very very long time for fossils to form.

>> No.2662002
File: 509 KB, 2560x1024, 1296318450817.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrends/nasascientistfindsevidenceofalienlife

what does /sci/ think?

>> No.2662023

Update: While the Journal of Cosmology says that “no other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough vetting,” some highly respected names in the scientific community are challenging the validity of Cosmology, and the findings of Dr. Hoover.

“[The Journal of Cosmology] isn’t a real science journal at all,” says PZ Meyers in Science Blogs, “but is the ginned-up website of a small group of crank academics obsessed with the idea of Hoyle and Wickramasinghe that life originated in outer space and simply rained down on Earth.”

So there you have it — this is either reality-altering news, or the work of kooks. Our hearts believe, but our brains are kind of bummed.
Sounds about right otherwise this would have been every fucking where.