[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 11 KB, 150x143, Wat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2644738 No.2644738 [Reply] [Original]

Thinking about becoming a doctor.
I'm not entirely sure though.
I make A's and occasional B's in 10th grade right now.
What are the chances of becoming a doctor and how long does it take?
Not really sure what kind of doctor either, any medifags willing to help?

>> No.2644753

>occasional B's
Yep, there's very little chance your doctor dream will come to fruition.

>> No.2644752

"You can be what ever you dream to be"

>> No.2644759

better start drinking if you want to be a doctor

>> No.2644762

>>2644753
> not sure if troll.jpg

>> No.2644769

>enroll in med school
>see you in twelve years!

>> No.2644778

>>2644762
>somebodywasn'tfriendswithamedstudent.png

>> No.2644783

It depends on what your weakest and strongest subjects are. You could be a doctor, you just have to work hard, and not slack off/procrastinate in medical school because it will comeback to bite you. A-B and even occasionally C students can do it. You might have less of a chance getting a scholarship, though.

>> No.2644803

>>2644783
That sounds good.
My strongest class is science.
I have a weird taste for mathematics though, I love solving equations.
I'm pretty good in math, 90-95's.

>> No.2644825
File: 47 KB, 526x350, 1296495972699.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i am a second year right now. my friends from college are already in careers making 'real' money while i am still living like i did when i was in college serving at a restaurant.

if you don't like reading A LOT, don't fucking bother. if you don't really, really like biology don't bother. if you aren't good at chemistry and physics, don't bother.

you are going to have to work harder for less money than you would if you went into business or engineering with graduate degrees.

realistically, if you are not 90th %ile or higher on SAT and ACT, it probably won't happen for you. the actual concepts are not all that difficult, it's simply the sheer volume of information and attention to detail required that is an absolute killer.

medical school is insanely expensive at most US schools right now, both public and private. you are either going to come out with $200k+ in debt or sign on with the military (which is what i did) for a fucking sweet deal.

(continued)

>> No.2644826

>>2644803

I think you'd be fine. Unfortunately, my weakest subjects are math and science, but my strongest subjects are English and Art. I wanted to be a doctor when I was little, too, but it just doesn't play to what I'm good at. Just go for it. The worst that can happen is that it'd be harder than you thought, which it probably will be, but once it's done you'll make a good living, and bitches love money.

>> No.2644865
File: 57 KB, 500x345, 1297574776520.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

(continued from above)

the timeline you are looking at is like this-

4-5 years of undergrad
4 years of medical school. first two at the school, like college on steroids. the end of the second year is basically a death march where you have a full courseload plus have to devote 2hrs/day ramping up for the first round of board exams, which are the national standardized tests that you have to pass before going on rotations during your 3rd and 4th years.

you are still a medical student during the next two years, but you are actually in hospitals learning on real patients. depending on how well you know your shit and where you go, you start doing more basic procedures and most of the bitch work.

after 2 years of that, you take your second round of boards. pass that, and you are officially a doctor. you then go through residency match which is a combination of college and job application.

assuming you get a residency, you then spend 4-6 years in a hospital as a resident. you are not at shit tier like medical school fags any longer, but you still have older docs to answer to that check your work. you also start getting paid a little bit here.

after residency, you take your third round of boards, after which you will be 'board certified' and be able to go work where you want. whether that is going further in debt to open your own practice, applying to join someone else's practice, or going to a hospital is up to you.

>> No.2644873

>>2644865
>whether that is dealing drugs, dealing drugs or working at the drug dealing superstore is up to you

fixed

>> No.2644889
File: 20 KB, 380x285, 1290939219181.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.healthcarejobs411.com/types-of-doctors.html

good explanation on types for you from google.

as for me, i am leaning towards emergency medicine right now, but keeping an open mind for rotations when you have to go do a month or two of everything.

part of me signing up with the Navy is that i have to go for a navy residency, which for ER is pretty competitive. they do them on a point based system, so i am thinking of improving my odds of getting what i want by doing a tour as a flight surgeon or dive medical officer first which would get me a shit ton of extra points, get some of my commitment time out of the way, and probably be incredibly interesting as i have always loved diving and have had a massive boner for naval aviation since i was little.

pic related

>> No.2644892

>>2644889
>here's the brainwashing propaganda that got me sucked into this horrible life choice

fixed

>> No.2644902
File: 3 KB, 126x114, 1295927740357.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2644873

>implying overuse of prescription medications isn't a massive acknowledged problem in the medical field

>> No.2644909

>>2644902
citation needed

acknowledged by who? the drug dealers? what do they say, oh yea, we use too much drugs, lets not learn about any alternatives tho and just keep using as many drugs as we possibly can

>> No.2644916

>>2644892

yes, they totally brainwashed me by paying me $20k to sign on, $2k/month, and paying for my $40k/year school. truly, the 4 years i owe them (where i will be getting paid slightly less than non military docs while saving TONS on operating costs) is going to be terrible.

god damn, having no debt sucks balls.

>> No.2644926

it takes about 4 years university then IF your accepted, about 4 more years in medical school, then I think 3 years as a resident, so a very long time.

>> No.2644932

>>2644916
so the military bought your life for what e a ~200k?

feels good to be bought and paid for.jpg

>> No.2644943

Becoming a doctor in any field is a lofty goal.

If that's what you want most out of life, then go and have no private life over the next better part of a decade...then be successful...maybe.

Or you could set goals within a shorter timeframe....worry about getting a bachelors or some kind of training to get yourself into the job market and accrue some experience while continuing education as time permits.

Unfortunately, most people have to work.

>> No.2644946

>What are the chances of becoming a doctor
If you're very smart and very motivated, you might make it.

>and how long does it take?
Half of your life. Literally.

>> No.2644958

The more correct thing to say is that in order to even get INTO a decent medical school, you need to work 16 hours a day, at least 6 days a week, do tons of volunteering, and get STRAIGHT A's (not a few B's and god forbid a C in any class) in all your classes. Only then do you really have a chance of getting into a good medical school (where you have access to most residencies).

Caribbean medical schools on the other hand... But then you get laughed at if you apply to any residency except family practice.

If you can't maintain those highly stringent standards, then GTFO and become a physician assistant or a nurse if your still interested in medicine.

>> No.2644959
File: 25 KB, 338x277, 1296262898392.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2644932

for 4 years.

doing what i would be doing anyways. troll harder about shit you know nothing about.

>>2644909

are you doing any kind of serious medical research to change this? do you have any kind of understanding about disease processes and why polypharmacy is a unfortunate but necessary situation for many patients with multiple disease states?

i am sorry i cannot provide citations for the countless times our professors have hammered into us to consider iatrogenic causes for numerous disorders or cautioned us to start low and go slow with many medications.

feel free to not go to the evil hospitals next time you are sick though.

>> No.2644964

>>2644946
So... becoming a doctor takes almost 40 years?
Being a doctor really isn't that hard. It's the same way you idiots think being in the armed service = half the people dying/low pay/sergeants screaming at your face 24/7

>> No.2644974

All i'm gonna say is, enjoy the reduced income doctors will have due to legislation and your 300-400k of debt (with interest, to boot!) you'll have when you graduate from medical school

>> No.2644979

>>2644964
no, being in the military means the gov't owns your life and can forfeit it any time they want, do any medical experiment on you they want, put drugs in your food without telling if they feel like it, not to mention the whole murdering and what not

>> No.2645029

>>2644979
I have news for you, buddy. The government can fuck you up regardless of whether or not you are in the military. Do you honestly think they wouldn't hold you without charging you/torture/phone tapping/assassinate you? The VAST majority of the military never see combat. Preparing for such an extreme worse case scenario is illogical. If you go outside, you might get hit by a car. Do you stay inside all day?

>> No.2645040

>>2645029
are you drunk? because that was fucking gibberish

>> No.2645055

>>2645040
How was that gibberish?
Here I'll break it down for you:
>no, being in the military means the gov't owns your life and can forfeit it any time they want, do any medical experiment on you they want, put drugs in your food without telling if they feel like it,

>implying the Leviathan couldn't do that to anyone anywhere
>implying it makes sense to make decisions based off of extremely uncommon occurrences

>not to mention the whole murdering and what no
>implying most military see combat

The full sentences probably threw you off eh?

>> No.2645077

>>2645055
why would the gov't go and test on citizens when its so much easier to test and collect results on military personnel? they wouldn't open themselves to the liabilty when you idiots have already signed your life over to them.

hmmm, legal testing on highly controlled military personnel or illegal testing on random private citizens?

i wonder which actually happens all the time.

>> No.2645088
File: 41 KB, 409x600, 1297224729583.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2644979
>>2645077

lol

>> No.2645124

OP, it's fine if you want to be a doctor. From your grades in 10th grade it's virtually impossible to say whether or not you can pull it off, and I wouldn't speculate based on that.

Some general information for you though:

Getting into med school is very difficult. You have to really want this, and you have to be willing to put most of your life second to your goal. This doesn't end once you get accepted or even graduate from a medical school. You'll have to go through an internship and a residency program. These are very taxing and you will work long hours for very poor pay.

All this time you will have to do a lot of studying. Even when you're done with all that you will always need to keep updating your knowledge. Medicine is an extremely fast moving field, and if you can't keep up you will lose your license to practice.

Also, you should ask yourself why you want to do this. A lot of people who are interested in science decide to try to go to medical school, but unless you're doing an MD/PhD program you need to have strong people skills, too.

I don't want to make it sound all bad, because it can also be an extremely rewarding job. Even with the insane rate of malpractice suits, and the fact that you will most likely have to deal with the guilt of screwing up and letting someone die as a result, it can be great at times. It also gets better the longer you practice, or so says my cousin.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a doctor, and it's a very admirable goal. Just make sure you really want to do it before you work yourself too far down that path. You're very young, and have plenty of time to decide what you really want to do.

>> No.2645129

>>2645077
Are you seriously trying to argue this point? Couple of problems with your theory. First of all, why would the GOVERNMENT test harmful drugs on GOVERNMENT employees tasked with protecting and upholding the demands of the GOVERNMENT. More importantly, you are living in a sci-fi world where the government has secret steroids or flying pills that it develops every other day... Do you really think the need to test drugs that the government has to actively test it on the millions that in a few years will most likely go back to being in armed service?

And just to entertain your idea:
>assuming the governemnt has super secret pills that it needs to "test" "all the time"
>obviously the pills would only help military performance because if it was a negative thing, they would logically test it on foreigners/enemies
>the fact that the pills are in the testing phase means a whole lot of thought has already gone into them
>worse case scenario: Captain America