[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 808 KB, 256x256, 1299142871678.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2644175 No.2644175 [Reply] [Original]

Do insects evolve? If so, what has more evolutionary potential, an insect or a mammal? based on attitude, survival skills and various given abilities; for example, a spider can build a web, a bird can fly, and so on.

>> No.2644200

Every living thing participates in the process of evolution. "evolutionary potential" is meaningless, given the right circumstances one species could evolve into anything else in enough time.

>> No.2644204

insects have evolved into new species perhaps more than any other animal

the number of beetles alone is absurd

>> No.2644215

You're so fucking dumb.

>> No.2644240

because insects breed in such large numbers, they can have mutated offspring more often. The mutated offspring that survive then pass on their genes causing evolution.

Insects are probably the quickest evolving creatures aside from microbes.

Although I would like to know how the fuck Botflies, and Jewel Wasps, Spiders that shoot acid strong enough to melt skin, and Japanese Hornets evolved
Also that fungus that zombifies ants and makes them crawl up plants and blow up their heads

How in the fuck did they reach the point where these traits were neccesary and desirable to their species? I mean seriously, what the fuck.

>> No.2644259
File: 47 KB, 459x450, daemon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

DAMNIT GUYS

I THOUGHT YOU WERE GONNA IGNORE THIS ONE

I THOUGHT YOU WERE GONNA DO IT

DAMNIT

>> No.2644266

>>2644240
>How in the fuck did they reach the point where these traits were neccesary and desirable to their species? I mean seriously, what the fuck.

Fascinating, isn't it?

>æther

Get the fuck out already.

>> No.2644278

>aether making a science thread on /sci/
>singletearofhappyness.jpg

I would assume that insects that live in fairly isolated groups would evolve faster then mamals, considering they breed/die much faster.

>> No.2644302
File: 40 KB, 650x503, gangster.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2644215

This. There is no such thing as up or down in evolution, better or worse. Evolution doesn't just grant a species "powers" at random.

The question displays such a fundamental lack of understand of what Darwinian Evolution is, that it can't even be answered.