[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 45 KB, 468x359, rat-brain-implant.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2642197 No.2642197 [Reply] [Original]

When brain implants come, would that spell the end of education? Why would we even have to learn any more than the ability to tap into the computer chip? Wouldn't everyone be a walking library of Alexandria, and there would suddenly be a massive explosion of scientific discovery?

>> No.2642202

It depends on the details. If you could access digital "memories" from computer storage in the same way you access natural memories, perhaps through a vast heuristic search procedure, then something like what you describe would probably occur. If it's just brain!Wikipedia, not so much.

>> No.2642204

our legacy brains would simply serve to be a conduit to the brain implant and to be cognizant of the information it is feeding to your legacy nervous system. imagine no ignorance, imagine no wars, imagine no religion

>> No.2642210
File: 25 KB, 640x480, 16991-command-conquer-red-alert-2-windows-screenshot-yuri-and-his[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

no it is only the beginning

>> No.2642214

>>2642204
There's no reason at all to believe that closely integrated digital data storage would result in "no religion." Other than that, yeah, most of the effects for humanity would be very positive. Many of the problems regarded by pessimists as inherent in human nature would disappear.

>> No.2642216

People would still need to practice their logic because it's not what you learn through Wikipedia. They would have to improve their imagination. Not to mention practical skills.

Nah, it'd be different but education would still be needed.

>> No.2642222

>>2642202
I'm inclined to agree to an extent. True creativity and innovation come from being able to rapidly chain together thoughts, knowledge, and experience from widely varying things. Relying too much upon brain implants, if they ever do exist (which they well might someday), would mean the death of creativity. Sure, you know how to do something and why, but you don't learn by screwing up, or seek out novel ways to accomplish tasks.

Take organic chemistry. I COULD use 1,4 Benzoquinone to oxidize something, but I could also use two co-catalysts in an oxygen environment in a pressure reactor. OR, I could use a different solvent and a 1atm oxygen environment. Without a VERY VERY good and intuitive heuristic search method, which would border on an intelligence all its own and possibly lead to all manner of psychoses, it'd pretty much kill creativity and interconnectivity.

Not to mention, from a selfish perspective, those of us who have the innate ability to absorb, process, and apply knowledge would no longer be special. Also, I wouldn't be the friend everyone calls when wikipedia fails them or be the most bitching guy in bar trivia.

As an aside, bar trivia in Oak Ridge, Tennessee is fucking GOD TIER. I challenge anyone to find a greater concentration of raw scientific talent gathering to drink and answer inane questions.

>> No.2642224

I don't really think so. Knowing things vs understanding things is a very important distinction. And that distinction is the focus of higher education. It probably will increase scientific discovery, but you will still need to have a way to give people the right tools to sharpen their thinking processes.

>> No.2642230

without considering thoses who can't elaborate a really complex chain of thoughts and reasonings! Thoses implants would multiply the capabilities of those who are already creative, but it would just buy some time to those who are not, and god knows there's plenty of them.

>> No.2642231

>>2642197
probably yes if humans find a way to extend their memory
because as human memory goes it's pretty limited

i alway imagine this future where humans don't have to read books or study just get the memories of their dead relatives and merge them with theirs

but there are times when i think what's the point
knowledge, women, money, power all the things we wish for are just because of human instincts

>> No.2642245

>>2642222

You're assuming that current learning already makes people creative. Many people who go through academia come out the other side as dumb as they went in, they're just dumb with a few facts in their head.

This would just mean that people could actually be competent, screw up significantly less, and not have to waste years of their life on education when they could actively be doing the experimentation you suggest. Book-learning becoming obsolete would not mean that hands-on education would be made obsolete in turn, nor that experimentation and creativity would either. If anything, they'd become a focal point for education.

>> No.2642297

>>2642245
This!
Schools would stop focusing so much on the how and more on the why, I think we would still need to tach math however.
Also Im sure there would be logic and creativity puzles,Im sure a few classes will revolv around playing portal esk levels in order to teach kids abstract thinking.

Far from the end of education, it would e more like a begining.

>> No.2642330

>>2642297
>>I think we would still need to tach math however

>implying Wolfram Alpha won't fit on a brain implant

>> No.2642375

How would brain implants work? I think the first ones will act like a secondary brain or a little computer. The natural brain would input queries to the implant, the implant would process it and upload the info to the brain.

This implies basically having access to something like Wikipedia on your head. So you're just receiving info and not necessarily understanding it all the time. Education would still be needed, but it'll become exponentially faster and accessible.

>> No.2642393

Nothing dumber than a library. Set fire to it, it won't move.

Education is not just data-distributing, it's also critical thinking, and that requires training.

I'm so never putting a computer in my brain, and no intelligent person ever will. Reasons are obvious.

>> No.2642420 [DELETED] 
File: 54 KB, 480x640, 1283171808325.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2642393
Were even the least 'critically thinking' individual to amass sufficient information, they could be a doctor.
Critical thinking = fuzzy concept, possibly nonexistent.

>> No.2642437

>>2642420
wow this is dumb.

i'm not even following this thread, but i'll bet this person is a singularitard who thinks brains are gonna be downloaded into computers and thats gonna make you immortal

>> No.2642448

>>2642420
actually that statement is exactly as dumb as the pic with it

mouth pipetting from a volumetric? put a dick in it and get it outta my lab

>> No.2642488
File: 60 KB, 480x640, Sarah_de_Hedt_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2642448
why would you kick me out of the lab?

>> No.2642494

>>2642488
YOU INSOLENT CUNT WHERE THE FUCK IS YOUR SAFETY GEAR DO YOU *WANT* US TO GET SUED

>> No.2642503

>>2642488
i said>put a dick in it, and get it outta my lab

girl is just a reagent. girl plus dick=product. product leaves lab. ??????. profit.

bitches don't shit bout running my lab

>> No.2642515

>>2642494
But I have safety goggles.

>> No.2642519

Guys, if we all get brain plants; the conspiracy theorists will STILL be retarded, probably homeless too. God, i love the future.

>> No.2642610

Look guys.

I really don't want people fooling around inside my brain. Conspiracy theory bullshit aside, I just don't want to have to undergo open skull brain surgery unless I really need to. It just seems a tad unnecessary

>> No.2642638

>>2642610
luddite detected

>> No.2642676

>>2642437
>>2642448

what was 2642420?

>> No.2642743

The kids will still need be told how to use those implants.

I doubt you could safely implant a child under 5 years old. And after that the process will probably be incremental, with base implants put in at first with more functionality added or unlocked in sequence.

>> No.2642844

There are two kinds of knowledge: obtained knowledge and applied knowledge. Obtained knowledge is learned through the memorization of facts from written or electronic materials. Applied knowledge is learned by performing a task. While neural implants would eliminate the need to study for a test of even the need to take exams altogether, we would still need to do homework in order to apply the knowledge the implants give us. Think of it like learning a martial art from a book compared to taking lessons from an instructor. Even if you do manage to memorize every move in the book, it is useless if you don't practice their applications by sparring. As Old Snake put it so elegantly in MGS4 when he compared the PMC's CQC skills to his, "they just learned it by reading about it. I learned by doing, and there's a world of difference."

>> No.2642917

>>2642844
But what about Raiden and his VR missions? Raiden is better at fightan than snake, even in MGS2 (and then there was the whole sword thing)

>> No.2643058

>>2642917
He was a child soldier in the first Liberian Civil War. He was brainwashed into believing that his combat proficiency came from VR training when it really came from actual combat experience fighting in that war.

>> No.2643192
File: 708 KB, 2048x1536, 1294096559801.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2643058
Fuck, this actually makes sense.

What about all the Non-PMC troops, then? They're all the absolute picture of incompetence. I don't think it's possible for any of them to win a fight unless you're playing on Very Easy or something.

>> No.2645554
File: 2.43 MB, 1081x1081, original.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]