[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 11 KB, 600x375, 174669-mr_popo_super.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2639795 No.2639795 [Reply] [Original]

http://brainworkshop.sourceforge.net/

Is this shit magic, or what? I have been doing it about 20 minutes per day for the last 3 days. I have noticed a fairly significant effect. Is this a placebo effect, or should it be working this fast?

>> No.2639803

Probably placebo.

It does feel good in the beginning though, it's weird focusing that much, especially if you're an ADHD kid.

One study showed more D1 receptors after 20 hours over 14 days, but in a study on kids, although the immediate short-term tests showed enhancement, it wasn't until a few months out the kids were substantially better than the control group in most/all areas of school testing.

>> No.2639812

I'm guessing it has the same effect as meditation where you concentrate hard on one thing. It will increase your concentration, only because you're practicing concentration. Good, but you can attain the same effect staring into a candle for an hour (stuff like that really trains your mind like a jedi, no troll).

>> No.2639815

>>2639803

I don't think i have ADHD...well..."classical" ADHD. My short attention span can probably be attributed to the internet. I would have 4 or 5 windows going at a time, and switch between them whenever a new one was loading. But my attention was great up until then. Only recently did i remember that.

>> No.2639816

>>2639803
I'll add, I only have passing experience with it, I was never able to do it rigorously (I'd do it for a week and then stop)

It's fun trying the different modes though, I think quad-combination n-back is the hardest no-variable change. I want to see them implement pent-combination n-back, where the fifth stimulation is a second audio channel of letters, so besides color and position, you'd have audio1->audio1, audio1->audio2, audio1->letter, and so on for the letter and audio2 combinations. If the person would combine that with crab back, it'd probably be the most mentally demanding thing ever developed for cognition enhancement.

>> No.2639823

>>2639812
Meditation focuses more on body control, and increases growth on the right side of the brain usually focusing on motor control and anxiety control. Brain Workshop has shown growth changes in the left parietal lobe, where we handle a lot of symbolic attention.

>> No.2639852

bump

>> No.2640320

>>2639815 4 - 5 windows going at a time

100+ for me...

What does this say about me?

>> No.2640362

>>2640320
That you really ought to look into tabbed browsing.

>> No.2640443

>>2640362

Not him, but I use windows so that I can also place them beside each other and have multiple browsers with multiple tabs on each open. I have a 'restore session' firefox browser open of about 35 pages that I closed so that my laptop would run faster. I think the problem is just trying to learn too many things at once. I'm in political science but I want to learn a lot about math and science, so I'll end up reading up on surface tensionor double integration or something and find something else I don't know about, ad infinitum.

>> No.2640463
File: 75 KB, 187x186, 1298853547504.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2640443

>mfw you think skimming dozens of wikipedia articles teaches you in any meaningful way

>> No.2640475

>>2640362

Haa you clever clog, 100+ tabs with 1 or 2 windows.

I've found out that people don't usually browse like this

>> No.2640510

>>2640463

Not wikipedia. I occasionally use wikipedia but I don't like it for science and math. I tend to use websites with better explanations and examples in text, or I use like MITCourseware or Khanacademy. Walter Lewin and Khan are both particularly awesome. And the guy that does the multivariable calculus playlist, but I've only watched the first lecture of that series.

>> No.2640545

Anyone who uses brain workshop, focus on using it for 25-30 minutes instead of 20. Normally attention processes build up at or later than 20 mins, so if you're not doing it for longer than that, you may not be maxing out your growth rate.

>> No.2640620

I don't have the patience to do this daily.

Tried before, got really excited and looking forward to doing it but after two days I forgot about it.

>> No.2640633

>>2640620
You can try other stimuli. Piano sounds + position, color+piano, color+image, image+position, Audio1+Audio2, etc.

I know how it is though, motivation is hard to have.

>> No.2640689

>>2640620
I've experienced the same problem. I restarted daily sessions two days ago, but I forgot to do them yesterday. Thanks to this thread, I remembered to do today's sessions.