[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 75 KB, 187x186, 1298853547504.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2634669 No.2634669 [Reply] [Original]

chemical engineering major here (inb4 gay), thinking about taking a minor in math because I only need two extra classes for it. I have a few options, what does /sci/ recommend?

Introduction to combinatronics
Introduction to abstract algebra
Introduction to real analysis
College geometry
Theory of numbers
Linear algebra
Mathematical statistics I

I take elementary linear algebra as part of my major, apparently the class listed above is "real" linear algebra, whatever that means.

>> No.2634717

Linea algebra
Real analysis

nuff said

>> No.2634748

>>2634717
Definitely this.

>> No.2634791

>>2634717

nope.jpg.
for a chemical engineer, the unquestionable answer is:

linear algebra
mathematical statistics 1.

statistics is used extensively in chemistry. it is the foundational mathematics of statistical mechanics/thermodynamics...

a chemical engineer should already know the foundations of this field of physics (boltzmann distributions, legendre transforms, fluctuation-disipation, etc)

literally every single statistical/thermally average parameter in chemistry is determined via this type of analysis.

rate constants for redox reactions are determined via the Marcus equation, which is basically just a specific decomposition of partition functions into:

system/solvent weighted brownian diffusion (nuclear frequency factor), electronic factor (which is a probability term with energy dependent on overlap integrals, calculated in the configuration interaction picture), and the exponential factor, whose energy is associated with a franck condon factor (typically denoted by lambda), and a gibbs free energy of the TS (double dagger).

my point is that you already know the basics.

it will be a snap.

most of your class mates will be borderline slobbering retards trying to major in Business Economics or some shit.

>> No.2634795

I'd guess out of those stats probably has the most potential for actual application.