[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 12 KB, 480x360, 0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2628587 No.2628587 [Reply] [Original]

I've got a big problem.

I am literally interested in nothing. I'm just barely interested in everything, like a useless jack-of-all-trades. I've spent a lot of time browsing ONet, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and Career Information Systems, and I cannot find one career or subject that fascinates me.

In general college courses, my favorite subjects were the easiest ones (Psychology, Sociology, etc.) That's pretty much my only criteria for calling a class "good."

I used to think that science was the subject for me, because I was lured in by programs like Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, Mythbusters, and Cosmos, which made me go HOLY FUCK SCIENCE IS AWESOME. Upon realizing that science involves far less explosions and space travel, and far more complicated equations and mountains of details, I figured a science major would bore me to tears.

Is something seriously wrong with me? Does anyone else have this problem? Should I just settle for a career based on wages, skills required, and employment outlook?

If you were in my indecisive shoes and eventually found your calling, please post ITT.

>> No.2628601
File: 486 KB, 1920x1080, ISV.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I saw this picture and decided I wanted to be an Aerospace Engineer.

Last year I think I learnt more than I ever did in my whole (Rather well read) life.

>> No.2628612

I liked tearing shit apart, building shit and math. So I went into mechanical engineering, I am not dissapoint.

>> No.2628615
File: 83 KB, 268x265, 1293936989334.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>obtain cannabis for the first time ever
>start smoking
>start noticing my hipster lifestyle isn't that great
>start getting re-interested in science
>discover Cosmos series
>chew through all Carl Sagan books in two weeks
Felt good man.
Also longevity extension treatments and their near imminent arrival helped a fuckton too.

>> No.2628618

>>2628601
I saw you in another thread, you said you were underage b&.

I've repeatedly gone from subject to subject and said: "Holy shit, this is what I am destined to be!" And then I would later find out that I was only shown the most exciting aspect of that field, and that it was 90% shit that did not interest me.

I'm looking for people who have gone through the deep shit (Bachelor's degree or more).

>> No.2628623

>>2628615
Fuck yes.

I read and loved Cosmos, but reading a textbook of similar subjects bored me. I think it was just Carl Sagan's exceptional skill of transmitting both information and enthusiasm.

>> No.2628644
File: 34 KB, 600x480, 1267363273015.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2628587
>Is something seriously wrong with me?

Yes

>Does anyone else have this problem?

Nope

>> No.2628661

>>2628618
Ever see the movie office space? That is what inspired me, at least partially. Laziness is a natural part of life. You don't see any animals doing much more than what they need to survive. So why should we? because we feel like it and only if we feel like it.

You gotta ask yourself some questions, like 'Do I give a fuck?' and 'What do I want our of life?" Question that you even need a job, because you certainly don't. You don't "need" anything, not even food. Sure, you require food to stay alive, but that is only if you want to be alive.

As for myself, I found my passions in life: sex, drugs and rock n roll. I am now a musician dropout/burnout and loving it. Sure, I am poor as shit and probably won't live to be 30, but I am fine with that. Find yourself a way of life you are happy with

>> No.2628672

If there was no class that you liked doing on your own. Find a job that will support your hobbies or activities like traveling around the world or doing EXTREME sports

>> No.2628679

>>2628587

This happened to me with biology and chemistry. School has a way of making me not like even the most fascinating topic.

My advice: you will hate any job you pick. See if your school offers a two-year program for any thing with livable pay and good job security. Then pursue your real interests as a hobby when you've got your life in order.

>> No.2628681

>>2628661
I just watched that movie recently!

That's sounding like my best option right now. Just like the main character, I want to sit on my ass all day and do nothing. Maybe I can find some compromise between happiness and decent income.

>> No.2628703

>>2628661

Good thing that everyone else in the human race did something to advance our civilization so you could be a drop out and still live comfortably.

Gee whiz, thanks engineers, scientists, philosophers, pioneering musicians, doctors, and other people who contribute to society, you guys are really great.

I feel like your logic is a little flawed kiddo

>> No.2628722

my advice, if you cant find something your interested in, find something your good at and make it pay. If your not good at anything then, thats not your fault, unless its due to laziness, and just find the best thing you can in that case.

>> No.2628723

>>2628703

>implying that everyone else did something to advance our civilzation

I'm pretty sure your logic is flawed, kiddo.

>> No.2628749

>>2628722
I'm good at many things, but I don't give a shit about any of them. I can outscore most people in my courses during tests and such, but I really do it out of obligation.

Lets just say none of my education in college so far has been out of my actual desire to learn a subject. Just want the grades.

>> No.2628752

that is where I am and I have a degree

have to do something

>> No.2628758

>>2628703
I disagree. All of those "engineers, scientists, philosophers, pioneering musicians, doctors, and other people who contribute to society" generally did so for personal gain or because of their own passion for their particular area of expertise. And who is to say I won't be a pioneering musician? I do have a passion for music. I know how play and I'm decent and always getting better.

>>2628681
You see there is one thing that is wrong with what you just said. You said you want to find a compromise between income and happiness. Well, just don't compromise your happiness too much. Success can be a slippery slope to unhappiness. Just find things that you like and enjoy them. Hedonism rules!

>> No.2628783

>>2628758
Well, I just want to make enough to afford my own apartment/living with roommates, with enough free time and money for vidya. That's pretty much all I want out of life.

Oh, and I'm aiming for ultimate happiness (as opposed to temporary happiness, where I drop out and do heroin all day.)

>> No.2628791

Might as well contribute. Psych undergrad here. First year is dry and filled with simple stuff like Pavlov and Piaget. Gets interesting after that though. I was in the same shoes as you at one point, I've always enjoyed psych though. Anyway, tend to see myself as a bit of a philomath. I develop intense interests in whatever it may be and get bored of it the next month. I've learnt to enjoy it. Learning feels good.

Best advice I can give? Try it all. You might find something. If not, find a mediocre job or just start your own business.

>> No.2628802

>>2628783
except its not temporary happiness if you die then you are just happy and gone

>> No.2628808

>>2628791

That being said. job/business just fronts for your actual interests. More money to be made outta a good business than a college degree

>> No.2628809

>>2628791
Thanks for the advice, that pretty much describes me exactly.

My interest progression: Pharmacy --> Physics --> Chemistry --> Neuroscience --> Genetics --> Statistics (My current flavor-of-the-month).

>> No.2628814

OP, you just need to learn that you don't NEED to have a dream. Some people are hard workers. Some people aren't. Some people are passionate about music or history or writing. Some people aren't passionate about any of them. None of them are better or worse. Just different. If you find something that you can be passionate about, that's great. But don't feel obligated to. If you're happy taking it easy and doing a little bit of everything, then stay that way.

>> No.2628839

>>2628814

But what about declaring a major? My time is almost up.

>> No.2628857

>>2628809

That's cool. Also, what >>2628814 said.

If you enjoy learning about whatever it may be, you can also do a lot of freelance stuff. My uncle never found his feet. He's not rich but he earns enough to afford nice things. Just freelances. Jack of all trades. Took a liking to programming.

Just do what makes you happy.

>> No.2628862

>>2628839

Finding a major? Get bored a lot? Just find something that you don't mind. Chem and physiology aren't too bad for that personally. Computing is good for it too if you can stand it

>> No.2628868

>>2628862
>>2628857
Thanks for the advice :) I'm feeling a little better now.

I worry too much about decisions like this.

>> No.2628869

>>2628839

It's up to you, man. You can always change it later if you change your mind.

Or take some time off from school while you figure it out. You can grow a lot in 2-3 years, and in the scheme of your life that's really not a long time.

There are many people like you that just go to college because that's what everyone tells them that they have to do, and they come out with an expensive degree that they never use.

>> No.2628897

Just out of curiosity, has OP ever taken a Myers-Briggs personality test? If so, was your result INTP?

>> No.2628918
File: 380 KB, 912x1216, are you a wizard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2628897
.........Holy fuck are you a wizard?

I always get a result of INTP or INTJ.

>> No.2628923

Really glad I stumbled upon this thread. I'm the exact same as OP, going through different interests every month or so. Sometimes I sort of just want to keep going to school, learning something different each time. But I'd either not have enough money to keep doing it, lose interest in a constant education, or get just so physically and mentally exhausted I couldn't continue.

Flavor of the month right now is to teach English in another country.

>> No.2628925

>>2628897

I'm the psych kid. INTJ/P

I don't like the Myer/Briggs. Personality's a contentious topic. Anyway, it might help some people out.

Best online personality test? http://www.personal.psu.edu/j5j/IPIP/

In my opinion anyway.Subjective

>> No.2628926

smoke weed every day

>> No.2628948 [DELETED] 

I've got a similar problem OP, I enjoy computers and chemistry and whatnot, but can't really decide on a major, mostly because I probably won't get a job that's even remotely enjoyable straight out of college. Obviously I could go to grad school for a PhD, but I don't have the cash, and never could balance work and school well. So I've come up with a solution that would probably work for you as well, I'm joining the Air Force, for several reasons.

1. Discipline, after a career in the military I'll have the discipline that I need to concentrate nearly 100% on my studies.

2. Adventure, I'm from the midwest, not much has ever happened here. In the Air Force I'll be able to be stationed almost anywhere on the planet, which will allow me to get the culture that I'm sorely lacking.

3. Outside opportunities, right now I'm looking at getting either a linguist job or a job as an air traffic controller, either are highly sought after outside of the military, especially if I'm granted any level of security clearance.

4. Money, while I won't be making more than 20k/year, I also won't have many expenses. Food, clothing, lodging, are all taken care of, even when I rank up to Sergent and can move off base, they'll be paying for food/lodging/utilities.

5. The mother fucking GI bill, how much would a degree cost you now? Around 40-80k, depending on where you go. How much would a degree cost you after four years of service? A whopping $0, also, while you're in school they pay for your lodging and food, fucking CHA CHING.

6. Safety, do you know how many people the Air Force has lost in Iraq/Afghanistan? 40. It's because the AF is the brains and support, something I'll be proud to be.

Those are my main reasons for signing up, seeing as you have no direction in life as of now OP, I'd highly recommend you look into it.

Those are my main reasons for joining the Air Force

>> No.2628954

I've got a similar problem OP, I enjoy computers and chemistry and whatnot, but can't really decide on a major, mostly because I probably won't get a job that's even remotely enjoyable straight out of college. Obviously I could go to grad school for a PhD, but I don't have the cash, and never could balance work and school well. So I've come up with a solution that would probably work for you as well, I'm joining the Air Force, for several reasons.

1. Discipline, after a career in the military I'll have the discipline that I need to concentrate nearly 100% on my studies.

2. Adventure, I'm from the midwest, not much has ever happened here. In the Air Force I'll be able to be stationed almost anywhere on the planet, which will allow me to get the culture that I'm sorely lacking.

3. Outside opportunities, right now I'm looking at getting either a linguist job or a job as an air traffic controller, either are highly sought after outside of the military, especially if I'm granted any level of security clearance.

4. Money, while I won't be making more than 20k/year, I also won't have many expenses. Food, clothing, lodging, are all taken care of, even when I rank up to Sergent and can move off base, they'll be paying for food/lodging/utilities.

5. The mother fucking GI bill, how much would a degree cost you now? Around 40-80k, depending on where you go. How much would a degree cost you after four years of service? A whopping $0, also, while you're in school they pay for your lodging and food, fucking CHA CHING.

6. Safety, do you know how many people the Air Force has lost in Iraq/Afghanistan? 40. It's because the AF is the brains and support, something I'll be proud to be.

Those are my main reasons for signing up, seeing as you have no direction in life as of now OP, I'd highly recommend you look into it.

>> No.2628967

>>2628954

Sounds like a great plan bud. Military looks good on CV too.
Only did cadets for a few years but it was pretty good.

>> No.2628982

>>2628954
Was thinking of doing the same thing. Would give me time to think things over, make money, and get some structure and discipline in my life.

>> No.2628987

>>2628954

Just don't join the armed forces. All wars are just manifestations of U.S. imperialism. Deny it all you want. It's all just bullshit to make a few more bucks. There's no point in dying for some banker that just wants a few more dollars.

>> No.2629007

>>2628967
>>2628982

Exactly, there are so many reasons to join the Air Force (other branches... meh, only other on I would consider is Navy). If you're actually interested it's easy to find a recruiter and schedule your ASVAB, once you have your scores you can really start looking into what you would want to do. I scored over 93 on all four areas that the test adds up, and a 95 overall (AFQT), from that I figured out that I'm qualified for every job in the military as an enlisted member. I'm pretty psyched for everything, I'll finally get out of the shitty little town I'm in and start making decent money. Also, since I have around 100 college credits I'll be able to start at E-3, rather than E-1, which is two ranks higher than most, and pays better, not to mention that it's much closer to sergeant (E-5), which has its own benefits. I'd recommend looking into it, worst thing that happens is you decide not to join, best thing that happens is you find yourself a career.

>> No.2629020

>>2628987

Just don't join capitalist society. All businesses are just manifestations of U.S. greed. Deny it all you want. It's all just bullshit to make a few more bucks. There's no point in slaving away your whole life for some banker that just wants a few more dollars.

>>fix'd

>> No.2629025

>>2629020
Near impossible to though since capitalism is a cornerstone of all "developed" countries.

>> No.2629034

>>2629020

Yeah economic slavery. Shit fucking sucks. Gets depressing. Time will come though. It can't keep going forever. I'm just concerned about capitalism eventually taking away all of our privacy and censoring our lives.

>> No.2629039

>>2629025

Exactly, no matter what you do you end up working for "the man". Hippie communes don't count, as life would suck balls living in the woods with a bunch of hippies.

>> No.2629051

>>2629039
That's why I want to go work at a.... shit. I can't remember the word. It's where everyone is working, for equal share of the pay, no matter what the job, at a company. Everyone owns the company.

>> No.2629054

hey op i can relate to

>>just settle for a career based on wages, skills required, and employment outlook

and i settled on accounting. if you're still lurking on here in two years ill let you know how it turned out

>> No.2629057

Im exactly like op evven down to intp ;_;

>> No.2629076

>>2629051

You're thinking as a co-op. They're generally ran by hippies and hipsters alike, and are really just a grocery store, though some have their own farm as well.

>> No.2629080

>>2629051
A co-op?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative

>> No.2629087
File: 122 KB, 576x432, 1295388997310.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2629076
Fucking, thank you. That was gonna annoy the shit out of me.

>> No.2629095

>>2629076
Co-ops are in areas such as banking and housing as well.

>> No.2629101

>>2629051

You can work for a nice company, but what about living, house, food, car, children, school, transport? EVERYTHING is owned by 'the man' aside from your company

>> No.2629106

People in this thread aren't going to like this, but it's been my experience.

I don't enjoy anything. When I graduated high school, I decided to do the easiest possible thing I could do without ending up in a ditch...I worked in food service, while I went to school to become a respiratory therapist.

Now I'm almost done with school, and have decided I don't want to be a respiratory therapist forever. I want to study neuroscience.

I don't particularly enjoy studying, I don't know if I will ever enjoy anything (I have yet to find something that stimulates me continuously), but I do know that I want my life to mean something, even if it doesn't make me happy.

So watching Cosmos, reading Sagan and Dawkins and Hawking, made me feel like that was the place I could do the most good. Where you feel you can do the most good is up to you.

Delegate your happiness to everybody else. If you're going to be miserable anyway, you might as well feel like a good person while doing it, instead of a lazy bum.

>> No.2629119

>>2629034
>>2629039

Have you ever seen The Big Lebowski?

I feel like that's gonna be me in 20 years, and to be honest it doesn't seem that bad. Relaxing all day and just doing my thing. Living cheaply and without dependents removes so much of that financial burden, y'know? It makes life so much less stressful.

>> No.2629124

>>2629106

I'd rather by happy and a bum than miserable and successful.

>> No.2629134

>>2629119

No but from the title I infer that it's about a fat man. Then you talk about relaxing all day and not having anyone to care about in your life. So ultimately, alone, fat and jobless? I no likey

>> No.2629164 [DELETED] 
File: 166 KB, 739x640, 1271164925789.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Same boat.

Going to uni, was so far decided to go to Medschool later. Somehow I lost interest in life (happened before, then I managed to get back. Now it just seems more clear, and what I applied to myself before do not apply to me anymore) and the things around it. Work? Studies? Girlfriend? Seriously, all in life only follows one stream: happiness.

Your career, your job, the chick you fuck at the bar; those are all but steps of satisfaction and pleasure leading to a greater happiness. Ultimately, you need money to survive, and it also brings happiness (not saying its the only thing, moralfags).

Anyway, upon that realization I sort of fell behind my studies. I see no pleasure in this world, and I'm not a complete shutdown who stays home 24/7, either. The thing is; what can I do? Nothing! If I don't work my ass off and get myself a good education, nobody's gonna do shit for me; I wouldn't. And I want comfort, I want a nice car, a hot chick, my pc, my vidya, good food and a warm bedroom; those things won't fall from the sky.

But I may be a little different from you, OP. I'm not in doubt, I just wanted somebody to tell me that what I'm thinking is wrong. With actual facts, with a strong base that would make me move on. Though deep down, realization is that no one can ever help you but yourself. They may give you ideas, but nothing ever change as long as you're not willing to do it.

>Maybe someday I can win the lottery and settle down away from the world.

>> No.2629171
File: 166 KB, 739x640, 1271164925789.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Same boat.

Going to uni, was so far decided to go to Medschool later. Somehow I lost interest in life (happened before, then I managed to get back. Now it just seems more clear, and what I applied to myself before do not apply to me anymore) and the things around it. Work? Studies? Girlfriend? Seriously, all in life only follows one stream: happiness.

Your career, your job, the chick you fuck at the bar; those are all but steps of satisfaction and pleasure leading to a greater happiness. Ultimately, you need money to survive, and it also brings happiness (not saying its the only thing, moralfags).

Anyway, upon that realization I sort of fell behind my studies. I see no pleasure in this world, and I'm not a complete shutdown who stays home 24/7, either. The thing is; what can I do? Nothing! If I don't work my ass off and get myself a good education, nobody's gonna do shit for me; I wouldn't. And I want comfort, I want a nice car, a hot chick, my pc, my vidya, good food and a warm bedroom; those things won't fall from the sky.

But I may be a little different from you, OP. I'm not in doubt, I just wanted somebody to tell me that what I'm thinking is wrong. With actual facts, with a strong base that would make me move on. Though deep down, realization is that no one can ever help you but yourself. They may give you ideas, but nothing ever change as long as you're not willing to do it.

I'm not saying you can't be happy, you can. But.. can you be happy enough?

>> No.2629174

>>2629164

I see nothing wrong with your reasoning

>> No.2629213

Just tough through the science shit and get ur science degree. ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING, MAKE COOL STUFF DUDE. ITS FULFILLING AND PAYS SOOOO DEC

No matter what you go for, if its worth while, theres gonna be some discipline required. So go all the way. Electrical Engineering. Embedded Systems design. Learn you circuits, and learn your C programming. Look into Microchip processors. microchip.com.

>> No.2629221

Dude, even Green Berets have downtime. You have to put up with slow days, weeks, and even years in life. It's worth it in the end.

>> No.2629223
File: 405 KB, 783x1079, black-power.1297951289340.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Become a viscous pirate, gain your fortune somehow, and retire by age 35, so you can spend the rest of your life pursuing your various interests.

>> No.2629269

Dear dr bum: I was in the same situation. I felt little or no passion for much of anything. Emotionally, I also felt very little. The world was gray and drab and boring. I can say with certainty now that I was depressed. For me, the root cause was a vitamin d deficiency. After I started taking it, about a month later, I suddenly was a lot more interested in topic that before I was momentarily interested in, but immediately brushed off as being boring.

>> No.2629310

>>2629223
>>2629223

>viscous

You gonna steal treacle?

>> No.2629414

>>2629310
I lol'd.

>> No.2629438
File: 26 KB, 400x400, 4fd96488-7a8a-455d-b12a-9f03edaf7d1f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]