[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 10 KB, 152x151, CarnegieMellonSeal.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2627193 No.2627193 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/, I'm studying Computer Science outside of the U.S (I'm not American).

I'm thinking of entering in a Exchange program with Carnegie Mellon University, since my school offers one. I'm on my Junior year. Will it rape my GPA to oblivion? Is it worth it?

Also, I'm thinking of getting a M.S. in Information Technology. It takes 2 years, and My (by-then) Alma mater offers a double degree with CMU, and you can take one year in one and another at the other.
But it costs 16k/year.

Does CMU have prestige among C.S. circles/companies?
Should I try the exchange program?
Should I get the MS after graduation, or after getting work experience, or should I even get it at all?

>> No.2627211

Carnegie Mellon is maybe the best Computer Science University on America and probably the world.

>> No.2627220

CM is a great school, it'll rape your GPA if you're not prepared to work hard.

As for the masters I wouldn't decide on something that far in the future, just get good grades and see what the job market is like when you're graduating. You may be able to get a great job out of college.

>> No.2627226

CMU is a very good school for engineering and computer science. I would go for the exchange program.

>> No.2627270

>>2627220
Well, I thought that the only Comp. Sci. majors who got good jobs out of college were the ones in The U.S. (100k starting for Silicon Valley nerds wtf).
I'm not even from Europe, so I'm not sure.
I'm graduating in 1 year, and I could use my savings to get the M.S. and be competitive enough to get a job in the U.S.

>>2627226
Do you think so? I heard some horror stories about CMU.
I've done some projects that gave me sleepless nights but overall I could handle them.
And, do you think I could do research?

For that matter, how do you even do Computer Science research? I mean, sure, you could get an idea for creating something, but what else?