[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 22 KB, 300x325, 58672583.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2611464 No.2611464 [Reply] [Original]

Well /sci/, do I have a story for you.

I am a nuclear engineer at the University of Illinois, and today was my first day doing research in the nuclear engineering lab. I assist a doctoral student with... things (I don't want to say because anyone who knows me would immediately know who I am). I can assure you though, it is nuclear engineering stuff.

Anyway, last night, I had to read an article on this special piece of equipment I would be calibrating. I had to find the article and stuff myself, so I googled it. For whatever reason, I could not find the EXACT piece of equipment, but I found one that I assumed was the same thing (it had a dash and then some numbers after the product name, I figured it should be basically the same).

I read this whole instruction manual on how to calibrate it and stuff, and it ends up being like twenty pages long. I read it slowly and carefully to make sure I remember everything and will be able to do my job tomorrow.

So this morning, I head to the lab to meet my professor, who asks me if I read what I was supposed to and will know what to do, to which I respond yes. Despite the twenty pages of reading, the procedure was actually pretty simple (or so it seemed).

I was led into the adjacent room, which was dimly lit. The walls were all concrete (cheap material with good halving thickness in case things go wrong) and the building itself just felt musty. He sat me down in front of a machine saying, "I'll be in the next room if you need any help."

>> No.2611467

...continued
Well let me tell ya /sci/, I needed help. This machine didn't look much at all like what I had read about. At first, I wasn't even sure if it had ANY similar functions. After a couple minutes of close inspection, I determined that it was a little similar to what I had read about; close enough that I was fairly certain I could calibrate it and make a good first work impression on my professor (he knew my past work and academic history, but I wanted to show him I would be a valuable asset).

I switched the thing on, and was greeted by a constant humming noise after a few seconds. So far so good. I first tuned the voltage to the correct setting, and everything still seemed peachy. Unfortunately, I failed to realize a small light on the back that was flashing to indicate an inconsistency with some of the frequency settings.

Had I read the CORRECT manual, I would have noticed the light (who puts an important light in the back, anyways?), and I would NOT have tried to tune the resistance next. Well I did, and I began to hear a quiet whining noise that started to grow louder. If anything, I could say that this sound was rare, but I thought, "Nahh, forget it. Yo Homes, to Bel-Air!" I pulled up to the house at bout seven or eight, I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo home, smell ya later!' I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there! To sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air!

>> No.2611470

tl;dr

>> No.2611473

do continue op

>> No.2611480

>nuclear engineering lab
>picture of crazy guy
This can't end up well...

>> No.2611483

>>2611467
0/10. You took too long to get to the punch line.

>> No.2611486

>>2611467
work on the delivery. there was this one time i was working in lab and on something and open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur

>> No.2611488

Don't read this. It is a "Bel-Air!" story.

>> No.2611549

Wats a "Bel-air"?

>> No.2611572

nuclear engineering-bel air copypasta

old copypasta is old

>> No.2614561

lol