[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 18 KB, 518x387, heman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2593842 No.2593842 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/

just got hired to do help with some research going on at my university in a biochemistry lab.

the job description is basically to autoclave things all the time, do some DNA extraction, PCR, run gels, etc...

Have any of you ever had a job like this before? This is kind of the starting point of my "real lab work" experience, I guess I am a little apprehensive.

My only experience with these things were in classroom lab work, so I kind of feel like a dork that won't really know what I'm doing. (I get what the work entails, but I've never done it really more than a few times)

Anyway, ever been in these shoes? I start on Monday. Wat do to prepare?

>> No.2593870

bamp

>> No.2593871
File: 442 KB, 932x1200, 1296615872466.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i've been working at a seed company over the summer for the past 3 years and got a job in the labs doing DNA extraction and various other bullshit.

its not as fun as you think.
theres alot of just waiting around
possibly having to stay over night for experiments
making mistakes will kill your entire day
no hot bitches

depends on the type of work you will be doing

>> No.2593877
File: 163 KB, 400x400, 1294968647937.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Be more "excited" than "apprehensive". To prepare, take a deep breathe and then remember that you're a scientist - get your shit together: know exactly what you need to do down to the last detail to avoid Murphy's law.

>Risk datenon

>> No.2593898

As is true with 90% of all jobs in all fields, they will prepare you. When you get hired at McDonald's, they don't expect you to know how to do anything, because they do things differently than other places, even if you've had experience.

Lab work can be fairly boring. Prepare to not be doing a whole lot of actively exciting things. That's about all you can do.