[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 45 KB, 450x230, 1798727_a8c22be0d2545b1b027aeb82b16f0f4f_wm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2591400 No.2591400 [Reply] [Original]

hey /sci/

As I understand our sun is a yellow dwarf because mostly the light from it is yellow. And from blue/red/white/whatever stars come blue/red/white/whatever light mostly, or something like that.

My question is, if there is a planet with life somewhere out there with a lets say blue dwarf, will the plants on it have green leafs and mostly green color or something else because of the blue light?

>> No.2591458

>yellow dwarf

Only retards call our star a yellow dwarf. Also, the sun is actually white, atmospheric scattering makes it appear yellow.

>> No.2591508
File: 155 KB, 801x603, oh gawd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>will the plants on it have green leafs
This is unknowable.

And by the way the amount of general ignorance in this thread is astounding

>> No.2591518

>>2591458
This.

AND, to relate to the other posts ITT, even though frequency-dependent scattering makes the sun appear yellow and the sky blue, the peak in energy reaching Earth's surface is GREEN.

Guess what color our eyes are most sensitive to, not to mention the color of plants?

>> No.2591541

>>2591458
The bulk of light is given off in the green spectrum

>> No.2591545

man, I don't even think blue dwarves actually exist

>> No.2591557
File: 45 KB, 247x332, obi-wan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2591400
THAT'S NO MOON!!!

>> No.2591620
File: 2.00 MB, 324x189, moonwalk grocery style.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

dude, check it!

if a blue dwarf and a yellow dwarf are maneuvering in the same binary system, it would make teh excellent green light.

so says my color wheel from le art ecole!

but seriously, many theorists believe that for a planet to develop along the lines of ours, displaying a similar plethora of carbon based lifeforms,
that planet must have most of the same characteristics; such as a similar orbit around a similar star, a molten core creating an electromagnetic field and atmosphere (as well as heat, keeping water liquid), and the presence of amino acids (whether they come from an outside source or not, the case being)

So for sure we can expect and theorize about life on other planets as much as we want, but it's just as possible they have green plants as the possibility that life evolved in other places from different atomic structures (though DNA, made from amino acids, seems to be the only solution to genetic information multiplying itself)

i think.... <head explodes>

>> No.2591792

>Guess what color our eyes are most sensitive to, not to mention the color of plants?

Well why the plants are actually reflecting the green, not using it. Photosynthesis uses blue/violet something as this the most energy-full light.