[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 337 KB, 900x599, moonvenus_kaplanswiss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2574642 No.2574642 [Reply] [Original]

So I've been told recently that hard work actually matters very little, almost everyone who ever accomplished something great did it because it was easy to them and most scientist are just geniuses who are better than other people. This bothers be because I consider my self to be trapped in a weird in between zone when it comes to intellect. I know I have an above average intelligence (IQ is 139 if that matters to anyone) I can hang in AP courses and understand complex scientific principles when they are explained me but I am by no means a genius. I've met people with IQs in the high 170s and of course they are the biggest assholes on the planet and everything comes easy to them but I still give them respect because its pretty easy to be an elitist when you are in fact a member of the elite. It was one of these people (a man I am not allowed to name) who told me that pontential matters more than work.
(continued)

>> No.2574662

It's okay.

Eventually the elitists will die and you can laugh at them.

They might even shit the bed at old age.

>> No.2574669

Um... What IQ test did you take... 170 seems pretty illogical because most only go up to 150-160.

>> No.2574674

He simply stated that a room full of smart people will never equal one genius and that if I didn't get it now I never would. He stated that it was ok to just be a bright guy but I should set the bar a little lower for myself before I go chasing 6 year degrees seeing as I'm only bright and cripplingly poor. What do you think fellow /sci/entist? Is being "bright" just not good enough?

>> No.2574675

>>2574642
You were told wrong.

Hard work does not guarantee success. Success rarely comes without hard work though.

>> No.2574677

I'd have to disagree.
I know plenty of brilliant people who squander their talent by partying all day and night, and they consistently score lower than some people I know who study for hours a day who don't have the same kind of natural intelligence.

>> No.2574686

>>2574669
mine is only 139 and I don't know which it was because it was administered by my school when they noticed that I a third grader was reading at the same level as a college student and even understanding stuff like structure and symbolism.

>> No.2574717

>>2574686
>3rd grader reading at college level
>understanding symbolism
nope.jpg

As for the genius thing, he is correct. You either have it or you don't. Sure, you can go to graduate school being just bright and end up contributing something to mankind, but just know that you will be working under someone smarter than you who is working under the real genius.

>> No.2574726

Dude keep working hard, someone will see it and appreciate it one day, even if it comes after you die. Sounds like your Kepler and they guy your dealing with is Brahe.

>> No.2574738

>>2574642
>AP course contain advanced scientific principles

Kid, these AP courses count as first year freshman courses. They look good on a resume and show that you may be ready for college level work but they are not advanced scientific ideas. My university will make kids take general chemistry even if they took an ACE or AP course because they don't cover everything they teach.

Hard work and an average IQ will get you farther than no work and an above average IQ, depending on what you do.

>> No.2574739

>>2574686

Fuck that guy who told you whatever.
Do what you like.
Listen to:
>>2574675

>> No.2574790

sounds like your friend is a zuckerberg worshiping loser.
Some of the "smartest" people I've ever met live with their parents and play WoW for 10 hours a day because they flunked out of college and they are being surpassed by "bright" people they laughed at. It is possible that they will have some kind of revelation that will sky rocket them to the top but that can happen to just about anyone.

>> No.2574823

It's nonsensical, OP.

People have varying levels of aptitude in certain subjects. In some subjects, they're absolutely amazing; in others, they're intellectual peasants at best.

I practically skipped my linear algebra class at least once a week and I was still able to score in the top 90s on exams. I could not, however, do that shit in my programming class. Despite being a "whiz" in that linear algebra class, I had to study three hours a day daily to comprehend C++. With other people, it's opposite.

This whole 'hurr durr hez a genius' shit is just that: shit. Einstein wasn't so much a genius as he was a study fanatic. Sure, he had amazing intuition and superior intellect, but he also studied like his life depended on it. Same with Bohr, and same with all the other old school scientists.

Try to actually read a biographical account of true 'geniuses.' Nash, whose life was told in the movie "A Beautiful Mind," is considered a genius by many. He was extremely studious, however, and very disciplined.