[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 66 KB, 675x400, 675px-EM_Spectrum_Properties_edit.svg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2550371 No.2550371 [Reply] [Original]

If white light is made up of the visible spectrum, is anything made up of the entire spectrum? has it been tested? What does it do to matter?

>> No.2550417

bump for curiousness

>> No.2550429

What?
There is no "entire spectrum". The frequency range goes from 0 to infinite.

>> No.2550465

I'm sure it's possible to compile the entire spectrum, if not common on a cosmic scale.

Then again, what are you looking for? We can perceive white as the visible spectrum, but we wouldn't have a method of perceiving the sum of the entire spectrum.

I'm interested to see if it'd have a name, but I'm sure supernova, pulsars and the like emit close to the entire spectrum.

>> No.2550511

i dont know if you complete understand what the electromagnetic spectrum is.

EM spectrum is a range of energies that photons have, ranging from zero to infinity. theoretically, all objects with a temperature actually give off photons of all wavelengths, called the blackbody spectrum. in this spectrum, there is a peak wavelength (most abundant wavelength) that we see.

example: all stars radiate virtually as a blackbody, however given the current temperature of our sun, it appears yellow. the colors of stars are determined by their temperature. red are cooler, blue are hotter.

the peak wavelength is given by something called Wien's Law.

>> No.2550522

>>2550511

>called the blackbody spectrum =

i meant blackbody radiation, not blackbody spectrum

>> No.2550534

>>2550511

That theory only applies for black bodies, not all matter. We don't emit gamma radiation, I can guarantee you that.

And still, your answer is a lowly tested theory. Kudos on knowing it but the application wasn't quite right.

>> No.2550627

>>2550534
Actually, we do. Our bodies contain K-40, which is a gamma ray emitter.

>> No.2550864

>>2550371
>is anything made up of the entire spectrum?

That's a rather nonsensical thing to ask. Even if you were observing an infinitely dense composite of wavelengths, it would still look white to you.

Well, at least until the higher energy rays in the mix blind/kill you.

>> No.2550911

well sunlight pretty much contains everything. stars emit basically every kind of light wave.

>> No.2550921

sunlight basically has all the different kinds of waves in it, at least before it enters the atmosphere.