[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 22 KB, 640x480, Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2549934 No.2549934 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /sci/,

Is there any decent way for someone to measure their mathematical reasoning ability? Other than simply getting to high levels of math and seeing how you do?

Most tests that I've seen so far are pretty flawed. Things like the SAT are extremely simple, and any mistakes I make are simple mistakes like overlooking a negative, and therefore isn't great.

A kind of test that I can think of that might be good is one that doesn't require someone to know very specific formulas, and relies as much as possible on math reasoning ability. Perhaps one that offers you a very hard and long problem that can only be completed through rigorous reasoning, and doesn't rely on whether or not you remembered some formulas.

The reason I ask is because I'm curious to know where I actually stand.

>> No.2549946

a better question would be what reason would you need such tests. Understanding complex and innovative ideas are what is progressive in mathematics. A great test is pushing mathematical understanding. Hope the standards are not too high ;)

>> No.2549949

Err, not per say.
Most of the time when I'm working on a proof, there are times I just won't 'get' the problem, and I get increasingly frustrated. Then I go downstairs for a beer and then it sort of just clicks in your head.

>Perhaps one that offers you a very hard and long problem that can only be completed through rigorous reasoning, and doesn't rely on whether or not you remembered some formulas.

Basically anything past elementary Calculus will fit this criteria.

>> No.2549956

>>2549949
I want to add on a little tidbit to my post.

I find that a good measure of your understanding of a concept is if you're able to teach someone else how to do it.

>> No.2550044

The main reason I'm curious to determine how I actually stack up is because I'm currently in high school (senior), and I'm easily the best mathematically in my entire school. However, I go to a school that is probably considered pretty shitty in general (pretty rural area too), and I want to know how I stack up in general, not just among my schoolmates. I could easily be not to far above average overall.

And with being extremely interested in working in and furthering high level mathematics I want to know if I actually stand a chance.

>> No.2550071

Look into the AMC, AIME, and USAMO tests.
artofproblemsolving has a lot of old problems and answer keys.