[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 116 KB, 614x612, wavy-graphene[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2541062 No.2541062 [Reply] [Original]

What can you do with a Chemistry degree besides teaching other people to become chemists also?

>> No.2541084
File: 35 KB, 600x450, ChemoleoCuSO4crystals0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You can grow crystals. Pic realted, it's a bigass CuSo4 (×5H20) crystal.

>> No.2541092

LSD

>> No.2541097

cook meth

>> No.2541098

The world runs on chemistry. Even electronics depends on it extensively.

>> No.2541103
File: 98 KB, 191x291, Screen shot 2011-02-15 at 3.27.43 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pic related

>> No.2541105

>>2541098
What I'm trying to ask is how your average job would look like as a chemist if you're not a teacher. I'm just interested.

>> No.2541109

>>2541098
define the difference between historical fiction and physics

>> No.2541111

Bump for interest. Biochem major here, planning on going to med school but I'd like to know what happens if I fuck up.

>> No.2541115

It depends a lot on the degree.
A tech degree is far from an engineering degree which is far from a PhD.

>> No.2541126
File: 80 KB, 500x375, art788.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

theres a myth out there that you can go into "research" for private corporations. i dont believe it and dropped out. D: oh well

>> No.2541162

>>2541109
?
Historical fiction is fiction that is set in a time and place based on real history, and relates to historical events, but depicts people or actions that may be fictional to tell a story in that context.

Physics is a study of the natural "laws" that govern the behavior of matter and energy, i.e., the "laws of the universe". No model is perfect, of course, but they are incrementally improved as experimental results demand and as human creativity and intelligence allow.

I didn't look anything up to make those definitions, BTW. Now why did you want them?

>> No.2541173

You could get into to technical sales, just make sure you take business courses along with your degree. People normally hire Chem-E's to do this, but a person with a scientific background and management experience can also go far. Plus, if you don't end up doing chemistry with your chemistry/business skills, the private sector will still respect you because you took a major that is considerably harder than most.

Otherwise, most science degrees are just transient to getting a PhD, where the real money in science generally is found.

Tl;Dr take some business courses and you can work in any field, because businesses will respect your ability to work the excessive hours needed to complete that degree.

>> No.2541174

>>2541126
I'm confused. Not believing in the availability of industry jobs for chemists caused you to drop out, but now you regret it? And yet you still refer to those jobs as a myth?
Explain.

>> No.2541185

>>2541111
Become a physician's assistant?

>> No.2541208

the most abundant line of employment for chemists are as general "technicians"

basically, you just take samples of shit on the production line, and inject them into the Mass Spec or HPLC.
most companies own good gear, better than most schools, so that absolutely everything is automated.

everything requires ridiculous amounts of reporting and logging....
in pharmaceutical industry, some BS level jobs include actual bench work...

but all you are doing is based on preps, no "independent" thought...

you have a Ph. D. "research team leader" who is basically your manager or boss...

they give a team a bunch of preps to follow, you carry them out, then follow the results up with testing.

the people who work at Laboratory Testing companies for the Medical industry (like testing urine and blood and stuff) ALMOST NEVER have bachelors degrees...

they are usually AA level. These companies DO NOT WANT TO PAY $50,000/year (which includes the value of the benefits, so that you actually get paid around $40,000/year).

they want to pay $30,000/year to some high school dropout who has bumblefucked his way through 2 years of community college.
trust me.
but in the end it depends on YOU. are you genuinely smart? can you "talk yourself up" to someone?

you should do fine.

>> No.2541238

>>2541109

all silicon purification, all MOCVD (metallorganic chemical vapor depositition = "doping" or "thin film" growth technique), all of the chemistry of Hafnium compounds (which are 100% responsible for sub 45 nm fab processes, which depend on Hafnium oxide for High K dielectrics), all of the organic dyes in pumped dye lasers (which are absolutely the ONLY lasers used in analytical and application based physics processes...

all In, Al, Ga, As, etc reagents used to make novel semiconductor materials...

not to mention all of the smelting/refining of metals, petrochemicals, etc...
all of it is PURE chemistry.
"but those jobs are held by Chemical Engineers"
that may be true... a ChemE may sit at a desk where a computer displays the temp/pressure of a reactor....

but it is a CHEMIST, doing inorganic chemistry or materials science, who figured the shit out IN THE FIRST PLACE.

>> No.2541257

Basically, your fucked into a life of low pay unless you have in addition a

1) PhD, and even then, the field of chemistry is fucking crowded with them.
2) a business degree, and eventually, and MBA, so that you can move out of the hell-hole of gen-tech stuff, and into an administrative role.

>> No.2541280

Duration: ASAP-12/31/11
Pay: $15-17+/hr, DOE

Job Description:
-Assay integration

-Candidates will perform simple data analysis and notebooking.
-Conducts basic laboratory bench experiments.
-Participates in analysis and organization of data for presentation.
-Writes experimental summaries and technical reports for own data.
-Completes paperwork by assigned completion dates.
-Carries out assigned laboratory tasks.
-Monitor and maintain laboratory notebooks.
-Operate lab equipment and perform routine maintenance/repair.

Requirements:
- BS in Chemistry or Biochemistry preferred but will also look at Molecular Biology or related fields.

- Minimum 1 year industry experience
- Strong pipetting, PCR, molecular biology skills
- Strong Excel and Word. Excel will be used a lot. PowerPoint is a plus.
-Experience using fully automated equipment.

Please email your resume today to become a part of our team!

>> No.2541291

>>2541280
>What can you do with a Chemistry degree?

$16/hour

>> No.2541292

Major problem with people today... they want to know what a degree will do for them, as if they are bundled with futures...

You should be asking bigger questions, like what can you do to improve the human condition, etc... and seek the education for the education... the degree shouldn't be as important as they aren't an end to your means.

>> No.2541307

>>2541292
Stop it with you noble bullshit.

Making money is all that matters.

>> No.2541399

>>2541257

this but an MS is fine when you move to an admin role

expect to pay another $40k in tution to get past that BS op

also expect to work for 10+ years before good pay shows up

>> No.2541480

>>2541162
I'm a dean at a university in Montana, and long story short, the budget is going to be pretty tight for the next couple of years. I was considering consolidationg some subjects into single classes and was wondering if there was a significant difference between the two, but based on your answer it doesn't seem like they have ANYTHING to do with each other at all, so I guess I'll just have to look elsewhere.

What do you think about merging political sciences with optomitry?

>> No.2541543

>dean at a university in Montana
>4chan

no you're not

>> No.2541563

>>2541543
well whatever believe what you want but what do you think about merging political sciences with optomitry?

>> No.2541573

>>2541563
Optometry you fucking stupid troll. As in the metrics of the optic system.

>> No.2541582

1) Go to dice.com
2) Search on "Chemist"
3) See all the kinds of places that need chemists
4) ???
5) Profit

>> No.2541592

>>2541563
you're going to have to tell us what optomitry is because I can't believe the dean of a university in Montana spelled optometry wrong.

>> No.2541626

>>2541062
Chemistry major here. Graduating next year. There are research opportunities just about everywhere. You could do quality control testing for manufacturers. The lists are endless. Go to the american chemical society website and look for the jobs link and search what jobs are out there.

Either that or make LSD. A pound can go for 40 million as each dose is in micrograms. This is assuming you can find a buyer.

>> No.2541642

>>2541582
I guess dice.com is mostly for IT. Use monster.com.

Spoilers: food industry, petroleum industry, cosmetics industry, research companies, general tech companies (batteries, lightbulbs, etc, etc)

>> No.2541667

>>2541062
>>2541062

Get a masters or phd with a credible thesis from a credible university and you're golden.

>> No.2541695

Anesthesiology. Big bucks, mother fucker.

>> No.2541707

>>2541573
So do you think the "metrics of the optic system" have a place in a political science course, or vice versa??? If I don't get a satisfactory answer on this I'm going to be forced to merge accounting with our track team with.