[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 14 KB, 394x299, electrical_engineer_careers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2539748 No.2539748 [Reply] [Original]

What would you consider to be the hardest degress to obtain, and I don't mean to be allowed entrance or enrollment to, but to actually complete.
I would have to say engineering degrees are in general the most difficult. Maths and physics are undoubtedly very difficult, but the multidisciplinary nature of engineering and its need for quick thinking and use of equations and intuitive real-world problem solving skills along with its far greater workload than both maths and physics it must be more difficult. Medicine traditionally is the most difficult to be enrolled for and requires a vast amount of reading and research but is not taxing academically per say.
So what does /g/ think?

P.S. 2nd year Mechatronics Engineering student speaking

>> No.2539754

If it's just about graduating, probably engineering. A lot of people end up working harder in other fields to get good grades, but just to pass, eng is probably hardest.

>> No.2539764

Engineering has the lowest pass rate. Meaning the least amount of undergraduates that enter the college of engineering will end up with Engineering degress.

That doesn't mean its the hardest. It just means that every kid who got As and Bs in high school thinks he's smart enough to be an Engineering.

Hell, I'm a second year Engineering student, my Dynamics class as less than a 50% pass rate.

>> No.2539765

Computer Science. No way imagining the amount of information stored in CS major's heads

>> No.2539767

>>2539754
>Eng is probably hardest.

Bullshit. Physicist here, and the hardest subject is undoubtedly Medicine.

>> No.2539774

>>2539767
Why?

>> No.2539776

I have ChemE, pure math, and physics degrees and I have to say, the engineering one was harder that the other 2 combined, so ill say engineering, but maybe its something other that the 3 I have, like biology or something.

>> No.2539778

>>2539767
Medicine is not hard. It's just memorization.

>> No.2539780

>>2539776
Eng + bio here, no, it really isn't. Biology is significantly easier than eng, but since I'm going for straight A's now I probably work just as hard.

>> No.2539784

>>2539767
id have to agree with you

but this is incredibly subjective
if you don't like something you won't try hard
if you don't like math you won't like mathy subjects and will find them hard
if regurgitating facts is hard then biology medicine and history is out
and so on
there is no hardest subject

>> No.2539787

Math Math Math or technomathematics!
or if you're good at, that try art...

>> No.2539790

Yup. Many of my friends are physics majors and their courses are demonstrably easier than mine. I'm an aerospace engineering grad student.

Engineering is the hardest...but we end up getting paid the most so iamokaywiththis.jpg

>> No.2539798

Biochem major here, I've heard this is the hardest natural science degree. As far as overall hardest degree goes I would say Engineering is probably right. As far as postgrad stuff goes medicine is the hardest.

>> No.2539814

I agree with >>2539764 in that the low pass rates are primarily due to many people thinking they can become engineers. I don't think engineering is all that hard, but that might be because I'm used to the more conceptual difficulties of math.

>> No.2539829

Engineering is has low pass rates because most engineers hate math

>> No.2539836

Medicine is hardest because the amount of memorization is ridiculous, and it is very hard to get in in the first place. I would much rather something like physics or math, where you can figure stuff out instead of memorizing it.

>> No.2539840
File: 32 KB, 740x308, purity.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I always compare degrees depending on who could understand the other's books...
therefore math is best :P

>> No.2539851

>>2539836
well i have to know about 115 theorems and proofs by hard for my upcoming exam in functional analysis...

>> No.2539854

the degree between −459.66°F
and −459.67°F

hard to keep once you've achieved it too.

>> No.2539856

I'm an English major minoring in computer sciences. I know it looks like I'm boasting or trying to upsell my major choice, but English is pretty tough.

All my math and physics courses while are challenging, are so formulaic and basic that it can be derived from rote memory and repetition. Despite my major being English, I score higher on math exams because for the most part it's utilizing formulas with variables. I didn't use a calculator in first year calculus yet still managed a 96 (comparable to 82 being my highest English mark).

In my English classes, it's a lot of reading and writing essays that require creative thought. When I have a physics assignment I don't sit for hours pondering what to write about, I just apply the formulas and start immediately. An essay might take me 20-30 hours of constant brainstorming and revising.

>> No.2539876

>>2539856
ever seen some real math in action?

>> No.2539887

>>2539856
Advanced mathematics is not simply the regurgetation of formulas and thereoms.
Especially in engineering, an in depth understanding of the purpose and properties of thereoms and formulas is needed to creatively apply what has been taught to solve problems and find solutions. There is never 1 way to answer a question, and the examiners do not make it immediately obvious what they are looking for, in all cases it takes creative thinking and application of things that you have learnt.

>> No.2539888

>>2539876

Maybe I speak too soon, I'm only a second year student. Physics is becoming a bit more abstract and theory related, but math is still simple integration, differentiation, graphing, etc.

>> No.2539899

>>2539888
the real key is the questions themselves. I presume the question still tells you exactly what you need to do. Like it will give you a function and tell you to integrate it?

>> No.2539910

>>2539899

I had a midterm yesterday and one of the questions was where they provided a formula, and you needed to find the first order derivative, second order, find the area of the curve between x = -8 and x = 10 which of course requires integration within a given range. Then we needed to draw the curve on a 20x20 grid. It's rudimentary math.

>> No.2539928

>>2539910
well i can see why you think that math is the simple use of given formulas...
But take it that there are much more complex and much more interesting parts XD
(as was said before, it's all about taking problem out of the real wordl into the abstract to find new ways to approach it...)
I don't state that math is the the hardest degree there is. It's just contains much more than most people associate with it...

>> No.2539935

>>2539910
That's why I find pure math to be a lot more interesting than applied math.

>> No.2540139
File: 69 KB, 820x380, 7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sup guys I'm a freshman at a community college looking to major in engineering but I'm not sure which kind to do. Which do you think is best and why?

>> No.2540199

>>2539888
>>2539910
Second year student?
I'm in my second year of EE, and Calc III ended with PDE and functional analysis.