[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 208 KB, 700x597, scarlett_johansson_0038.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2531609 No.2531609 [Reply] [Original]

Hai,/sci/. My dream job when I was younger was to become a Physicist, but now I'm kinda looking into Psychology. Give me your opinions.

>> No.2531624

You like fake science over real science?

>> No.2531647

>>2531624
Well, I'm really just doubtful, that's all. I like to keep an open mind about things, so I won't dismiss Psychology for it being 'a pseudo-science'.

>> No.2531659

Well you can either spend your time helping people get over their problems like their cat dying when they were four years old or that they think they look fat, or you can become a scientific mastermind and help humanity explore the universe.

>> No.2531663

>>2531647
You should dismiss it as a pseudo-science.
Because it is.

>> No.2531664

Hey OP, I'm a Biology and Psychology double major going into physics next year.

Do undergrad research with a psychology professor but continue with physics. You'll soon find out how broken the peer-review system is. It's like a tower built on very flimsy foundations.

>> No.2531670

no major in english

all the ass gay sex you could ever want and i don't do shit

after this i'll get a job at a local high school teaching kids shit they've learned before and probably won't ever use in the real world

it's truly free of any obligations

>> No.2531674

>>2531659
That's a good point, but I wouldn't be some kind of consultant for adolescents, I'd probably go into some more serious stuff. I'm very miseducated about his, and I actually want to know about some interesting sub-fields within Psychology. Anyone?

>> No.2531678

Follow what you like. The fact that you are asking here in /sci/ pushes me to believe you want to do physics since that is dominating answer here. Psychology to me sounds interesting if you like to study human behavior, while physics is discovering the future (maybe good, maybe bad, but never useless

>> No.2531693

>>2531659
>>2531624

Jesus christ, I'm not even a Psychologist and either you two are the stupidest trolls I've replied to in a while, or you seriously have no idea what Psychology consists of.

Honestly there mere act of calling it pseudo-science opens the door for a variety of insane and ultimately batshit unreal theories that exist purely because stupid people are attracted to simple and stupid answers.

>> No.2531697

fuck science

just be the guy that gives scarlett johansen her daily enemas

>> No.2531712

>>2531670

I'd hate having you as a colleague. Enjoy ruining kid's enjoyment of humanistic learning.

>> No.2531711

>>2531678
It is quite dominant, but this little psychology-parasite of an idea has been swelling up in my mind.

>> No.2531730

>>2531712
I'm not actually an english major

calm the fuck down

is all of /sci/ this ordinary?

>> No.2531966

bampity bamp

>> No.2531984

>>2531609
Are you interested in empirical cognitive psychology, or psychotherapy to help people?

>> No.2531990

>>2531984
In all cases, not psychotherapy.

>> No.2532001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-w-8fXzwQE

people need to see this. it's stupid ridiculous

>> No.2532052

Forget psychology, it is based on correlation and not causation.

Do neuroscience instead. One day psychology will be respected but it needs an advancement like the discovery of DNA was to biology before that it was just assumptions based on taxonomy but even that is more accurate than psychology.

>> No.2532086

>>2531990
Empirical cognitive psychology is quite rigorous experimentally, and can certainly yield insights into some elements of thought. Whether it will satisfy your curiosity is hard to predict. There are plenty of very smart people in the field who seem to enjoy it a lot. But some people think it's kind of phony.

>> No.2532118

>>2531609
I wouldn't call Psychology pseudoscience--more like observations about people and their behavior and ideas about why they may behave in this way, the reasons being nature/nurture or a little of both.

There are 'pseudo-scientific' aspects to it, however. Like most people think the whole multiple personality stuff is a bunch of BS and now attribute that behavior to a person disassociating themselves as a way to cope with life/any given situation which makes more senses than the former.

Anyway, pretty big jump from here to there. Don't you think? Physics and Psyche couldn't be more different.

>> No.2532128

If you go into psychology go into bipsych if you want to do research level work because the other shit is dead. Do regular psych with some business/econ to go into marketing and advertisement and shit. Clinical level do get paid and shit you need psychiatry, which means med school.

>> No.2532132

>>2532118
By all means thought should be deterministic and we should be able to know how people think and why they think it.

>> No.2532155

>>2532086
I think that might be the sub-field I'm looking for. Sounds pretty good.

>>2532118
Yes, it is a pretty big jump. Don't really know where it came from.