[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 116 KB, 921x1184, Science.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2517330 No.2517330 [Reply] [Original]

Okay, i'm going back to school in September that should give me enough time to read a shit load of Science and Mathematics books. Very much interested in the idea of studying a Chemistry Degree, but i'm wondering what prospects it has? And what Science will get you further in life?

I was interested in forensic science a while back, but it's filled with drop out art students who think they're the shit and only took the subject because they enjoy watching CSI.

>> No.2517386

bump

>> No.2517401

I'm currently 22 and working on my undergrad degree. How old are you? Please be honest.

>> No.2517407

>> No.2517434

For chemistry you either need to be very talented to do a manager job, or you'll end up being a very intelligent tool to higher up scientists. I can't speak for the state of all the US, but one of my chemist friends ended up doing real estate because his job as a chemical facility manager was underpaying his mortgage.

>> No.2517447

I live in the UK, not US.

>> No.2517469

>>2517434
So how do you be one of these higher up scientists?

>> No.2517494
File: 63 KB, 645x335, Carp_escape.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Honestly, OP, if you're looking at a career in science for the money, a career in science probably isn't for you. Oh, the money's there, alright, at least in some fields, but it's hard work and there are easier ways to get lods of emone.

This PSA was brought to you by clueless undergrad & co, as a part of operation take this with a grain of salt.

>> No.2517510

>>2517469
These are the ones with "manager jobs".

>> No.2517517

>>2517494
No. I'm currently training as a cardiologist primarily as a means of money. Greed and motive is irrelevant when you have enough brains to spare for two people.

>> No.2517529

>>2517510
No shit, sherlock. He's asking how to gain one of these jobs.

>> No.2517536

Go for chemistry man

if you fail atleast you could build an amateur lab and make drugs

>> No.2517548

I had some trouble getting a job with an undergrad chem degree. Companies which want lab techs prefer to hire people who went to two year technical institutes. Most other companies want chemical engineers, not actual chemists. (I know, there's not really much difference, but belonging to a P.Eng. society confers great benefits.)

Because of this, I went back and did my master's degree in computational chem. Now working in the financial sector. No real regrets.

You *can* find work as a lab tech, but it won't pay well. Instrument sales and servicing are other possible jobs. Or environmental work (though again, the enviro engineers tend to get the better jobs there).

>> No.2517570

Any books you'd recommend Chem wise?

>> No.2517573

>>2517548
You do not have a master's degree. Your post is rife with 16 year old spelling errors.

>> No.2517596

i've been using a website called Chemguide and Khanacademy to tutor myself in preparation for September.

>> No.2517655

I've been considering switching to an engineering major from a social science major. Does an engineering degree from a mid-tier university still have good job prospects for higher up engineering / consulting jobs?

>> No.2517915

bump

>> No.2517952

any field that studies "green" chemistry, the chemistry behind solar power, and biomimicry will be a good future in the chemistry field

>> No.2517954

>>2517655

Enggfag here. Depends on what you mean "higher-up", but in general job prospects for engineers are some of the best around for a 4 year undergrad degree (along with Nursing and Teaching).

>> No.2517958

>>2517330
Well. Lets not beat around the bush.

If you want a scienc-y job, and money to boot.

Engineering. You'll get hated off the board for it, but it's good money and you'll learn quite a bit if you like calc.

Just my .02, but the advice around here is fairly solid, but you'll still need to do supplemental career research.

4chan is great for getting pointed in a direction. Hell, it's great at it.

>> No.2517966

>>2517954
Engineering can take you to fields that you've never dreamed of

Dad: Industrial engineer from PSU.

Fast forward quite a few years

Teaching LEAN/six sigma. Great money too.

>> No.2517984

Theres really only demand for chemists with graduate training, but thats where the work gets alot more interesting.

>> No.2517997

industrial engineering is the most interesting and delicious of the engineerings

>> No.2518009

also, if you need any guidance for your weak will, look at this guy:

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/2003/mansfield-autobio.html

didn't enter college until 23, no high school, but then worked hard and won a nobel prize