[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 17 KB, 300x300, dna.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2506611 No.2506611 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/ I just want to ask if I can land on a research job if I'll be getting a phd in biology, I mean pure biology just in case I can't get in the molecular bio program.

I'm doing undergrad bio now and I'm obviously aiming for phd in molecular bio, but that's harder to get into in my country. So would a phd in bio suffice for some interesting research works other than boring field works?

>> No.2506626

>>2506611
ask your professors. they will be able to tell you 100 times better than /sci/ (most of which doesn't have a bs yet)

>> No.2506642
File: 113 KB, 500x425, Coyote on Bus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>phd in Biology
...Do they grant those? Even my undergrad B.S. isn't just "biology", it's 'ecology, evolution, and behavior' which most colleges (I think) call integrative biology. Can you even get a phd without specializing?

>> No.2506669

>>2506626
I don't know the professors well right now but maybe some other time.

>>2506642
I just saw 'biology' in a university's graduate school offered programs. There is botany, zoology, ecology and other courses but I just don't know what they teach. in graduate school for 'biology'.

>> No.2506719

bump? any biofags here?

>> No.2506737

>>2506642
A PhD covers an entire subject area. Of course you specialize, but you need an in-depth understanding of every topic in the field. (Hence, "comprehensive" examinations.) Of course, degrees vary from country to country, but that's generally how it is.

It's very rare for an undergrad program to have a specialized focus in the title of the degree, btw. It's usually the mark of a technical institution or something less than a true BSc. I'm not saying your degree is like that, but I wonder why they would do that.

>> No.2506752

>>2506737
How do you specialize then? Do you take electives?

>> No.2506772

>>2506737
You're right. After I looked at it, I think the title of the degree is still just a B.S. in Biology, but there are different 'options' for how you go about obtaining it. So, yeah, my bad. Here's the degree, by the way:
http://www.biosci.utexas.edu/bsac/degrees.htm

(not meant as bragging or anything; I just wanted to clarify what the degree was)

>> No.2506790

>>2506772
Looks at options X. Fuck, I wish we have that in my country. Computational Biology, Bioinformatics and Biophysics seems really interesting too.